Edguy / Avantasia / Tobias Sammet

Been exploring more. Let the Storm Descend Upon You is an absolute monster of a track. Also Moonglow's title track is another solid one. Have bought the album but haven't gotten around to listening to it

Been exploring more. Let the Storm Descend Upon You is an absolute monster of a track. Also Moonglow's title track is another solid one. Have bought the album but haven't gotten around to listening to it

I'm hoping to get it as a Bday present to myself in a couple of weeks! It's cool that Candice Night is on it. I like what she and Ritchie Blackmore have done with Blackmore's Night.

Oh and I agree, Let the Storm Descend upon you is one of my favorites from this new trilogy.

I've been listening to the new album 'Moonglow' since it was released on Friday and I am somewhat underwhelmed by it. It mainly just sounds like recycled ideas from the previous Avantasia albums with quite a significant drift towards Pop. The stand out song is probably 'The Raven Child' but even that sounds like another version of 'The Scarecrow', especially with Jørn Lande's fast part after a slow, quiet instrumental section. Hearing Hansi Kursch a few times is a highlight but it's not an interesting album overall. The cover of 'Maniac' (with Eric Martin) is a bit pointless and not as good as Firewind's version.

Finally gave Moonglow a couple of listens on the Youtubes. I really like it. What I don't like, it was immediately likeable, usually means staying power goes down from here. It doesn't sound like an Avantasia Album. Moonglow, with Candice Night sounds like it could go on Nighwish's Dark Passion Play and Kiske's song, Requiem for a Dream? sounds like something from Symphonia.

What I liked, Everything lol. Even the fact that it doesn't sound like an Avantasia album and other influences (theivery?) is obvious. The worst Avantasia album is still better than the worst Edguy album.

I am somewhat underwhelmed by it. It mainly just sounds like recycled ideas from the previous Avantasia albums
It doesn't sound like an Avantasia Album...

What I liked, Everything lol. Even the fact that it doesn't sound like an Avantasia album
It's interesting that you like the album because it doesn't sound like Avantasia, but I'm unimpressed because it sounds like Avantasia by numbers. :lol: Were we even listening to the same album?

All I kept hearing every band other than "avantasia" haha. Nightwish, Rainbow, Helloween, Symphonia as short lived as it was, etc. LIke, for the first time Tobias was the guest star lol.

44/365
Avantasia_%E2%80%93_Moonglow.png

Moonglow - Avantasia

Ghost In The Moon - Tobi starts singing before the band even appears on this track, piano driven intro with some introductions of the band. The track continues to build up and unlike later tracks lacks guest singers. The track has a solid pace and decent instrumental work the midsection with the buildup onwards really helped this track out. Not an amazing start to the album overall but a solid song. - 7/10

Book of Shallows - A fast paced drum beat accompanied by a dynamic guitar work leads the way for Tobi and friends to come in, this song sounds much heavier than the previous track, I it is 100% an Avantasia track. Overall better than the previous track but not amazing but there are strong moments dispersed within it. - 7.5/10

Moonglow - The title track clicks for me, absolutely love Candice Night on this track, this track is great. Harmonies, with the the Opera like feeling to it, with dynamic interactions between Night and Tobi. -9/10

The Raven Child - A calm intro introduces the longest song of the album, before kicking into high gear around the 2 minute mark for a heavier instrumental section then calms down once again. The alternation of heavier and light sections really works well on this track. The ending of the track is epic. 9/10

Starlight - A shorter track with some faster paced sections and calmer verses for the most part. This song flew by me. Solid song - 7.5/10

Invincible - A piano ballad featuring Geoff Tate, showing off the pipes that made him and Queensryche so good in the 80s and early 90s. This ballad isn't groundbreaking but it is a killer preformance by Geoff and the instrumentation is perfect for this song. - 9/10

Alchemy - Segueing from the previous track Alchemy shifts into a darker feeling than previously before the guitars kick in bringing the heaviness to the forefront. This track pulled me in and I think it absolutely rocks - 9/10

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - A synthy opening kicks off the final longer track of the album, the song quickly explodes into another longer rocking track. I wasn't sold at first but it really is a strong track - 8.5/10

Lavender - Another strong track from this album, as a whole the album's weaker points have been getting fewer as the tracks progress. This song is solid start to finish but not quite great - 8/10

Requiem For A Dream - Organ/Churchy intro quickly is replaced with heavy drums and guitar as the band kicks back into high gear, the sheer speed of this track is a double edged sword, it works really well but the vocals get caught up in trying to stay on pace with the band at times. - 7.5/10 (would be about 7.75 if I allowed that as a rating)

Maniac - A decent preformance turns this cover into something that doesn't feel too out of place on say a deluxe edition of the album but as the album closer it just doesn't fit. Overall a good cover but not needed for the album -7/10

Overall 80%

Last night I saw Avantasia in London at the Kentish Town Forum. It was only the third show they'd ever done in the UK with the two previous being at the same venue in 2016 and at Bloodstock Festival in 2013. I have been to all three their UK shows, which is nice. At three hours and fifteen minutes the show did test my stamina (this is the setlist) but it was worth it, although the 90 minute wait for the show to start was not fun!

Tobias Sammet took some of the usual suspect on tour with him this year in the shape of Jorn Lande, Bob Cately, Eric Martin, Geoff Tate and Ronnie Atkins all on "lead" vocals with Oliver Hartmann and Sascha Paeth on guitars. Herbie Langhans was another regular on backing vocals with a couple of new recruits for the live show joining him: a woman called Ina Morgan (who Tobi said had done backing vocals on some Avantasia albums) and Adrienne Cowan of Seven Spires and a couple of other American bands.

It was strange seeing Avantasia without Amanda Somerville on backing vocals as I assumed she was a permanent feature of Avantasia tours, and Michael Kiske doing lead parts but I guess he's busy with Helloween now. All the guest lead singers were good. Bob Cately looks about 200 and was doing all his weird hand movements. Eric Martin described Geoff Tate as the "Dark Lord of Queensryche". Well not for a few years now Eric. He's the "Dark Lord of Operation Mindcrime" now, buddy. Adrienne Cowan was the most impressive and charismatic of the backing vocalists (to be fair I spent a good portion of the set watching her...) and was arguably wasted at the back of the stage considering the range of what she can do with her voice. It's a bit mad that Tobi does this. Amanda Somerville (who has filled in for Simone Simons on an Epica tour) is always used mainly as a backing vocalist too, but she's one of the best singer around. It would be like using Simone or Floor as backing vocalists!

The first part of the set was mainly dedicated to songs from the new album 'Moonglow'. The new songs sound much better live than from the studio. My criticisms of 'Moonglow' remain but I did appreciate the new songs more last night than I have done previously, particularly 'Alchemy' with Geoff Tate and 'Moonglow' which sounds far better with Adrienne Cowan's vocals than Candice Night's. Adrienne has a more powerful, soulful style which brings the song to life compared to Candice's sugary, honey-laden singing. Just before 'The Raven Child' (the highlight of the album, put still a rehash of 'The Scarecrow') Tobi said the record company was confused about why he wanted a 12 minute song to be the lead promo song for the album as it won't get played on the radio, but Tobi pointed out that Avantasia songs don't get played on German radio anyway but apparently got played on BBC Radio 2. He was right about this and they even got played on BBC Radio Lancashire too. It had actually been a nine year gap since they'd got radio play from the BBC, with the previous presenter to play an Avantasia song being some pilot who likes fencing. Not sure what happened to him though. I've also heard 'Alchemy' a couple of times on Planet Rock, which is cool.

The rest of the set was dominated by older Avantasia songs with my personal highlights being 'Let The Storm Descend Upon You', 'Twisted Mind' and 'The Scarecrow' - the latter being a super impressive song live. The studio version is a little pedestrian by comparison (still good though!) but it really comes into its own when played live. See the official video from Wacken 2012 from the Flying Opera DVD for an example. As always, the show ended with a mash of 'Sign of the Cross' and 'The Seven Angels' with all the vocalists on stage and each taking a lead part in the song. Tobi has said it was the best crowd he'd ever played to in London and if he does another Avantasia tour he will definitely come back. He always says that he doesn't know if Avantasia will happen again but it always does - mainly because he makes way more money from it than Edguy. I will he happy to see another Avantasia show again if possible as the live performance remains excellent even if the albums are becoming mediocre.

Wow, just 4 (and a half) songs from the first 2 albums. That's sad.
It is what it is. That's just the way things are with Avantasia setlists since I first saw them in 2013. Only 'Farewell', 'Reach Out for the Light', 'Avantasia' and 'Sign of the Cross/Seven Angels' get in the setlist. 'Breaking Away' was in the setlist at Bloodstock 2013. The only other song from those two albums I'd be excited to see performed is 'Serpents in Paradise'.

I just realized that the intro tape the other night was 'Ode to Joy' - the EU anthem. A cheeky political statement from Tobi?

158/365
Ghostlights_by_Avantasia.jpg

Ghostlights - Avantasia
Format: Vinyl

Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose - The Meat Loaf sounding track kicks off this concept record. The only track lacking guest vocalists due to Meatloaf passing on the track. Overall a nice poppier track with great instrumentation - 9/10

Let The Storm Descend Upon You - The longest track on the album comes in wasting little time it delivers a truely epic track. Amazing chorus. - 10/10

The Haunting - A dark piano intro leads into the final track on side 1, Dee Snider is a great guest vocalist on this track. Overall another strong track - 9/10

Seduction Of Decay - A heavy riff opens up side 2, Geoff Tate sings on this track, overall a solid track, not quite on par with the opening 3 tracks but still good - 7.5/10

Ghostlights - The title track comes in with a fury picking up the pace from the previous one. Very high vocals throughout. - 8.5/10

Draconian Love - Slowing down, some darker vocals from our guest singer before Tobi comes in. The contrast in vocals is nice. Overall a solid track - 8/10

Master Of The Pendulum - Side 3 kicks off with a slow burning start, before igniting into a blaze. An enjoyable track, strong vocally like every other track, dynamic and unique. - 8.5/10

Isle Of Evermore - Another slower intro with a dark and ominous background, a slow ballad with some nice female guest vocals - 8.5/10

Babylon Vampires - Transitioning back into a heavy feel once more the final track on side 3 opens with some nice guitar work. - 8.5/10

Lucifer - Side 4 opens with a piano intro to the shortest track on the album. An amazing ballad - 9.5/10

Unchain The Light - A solid track with some nice high notes - 8/10

A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies - The final track on the album begins slowly, a building track. Overall a nice way to end the album - 8/10

Overall - 86%

Funny you mention Meatloaf. I've always liked the middle part of The Seven Angels from The Metal Opera Pt. 2 is very Meatloaf-esque.

While it is being touched upon in the Angra thread, I wonder who will take over Andre Matos' vocal work both in studio and in live shows. :(

I don't think it will matter much for any future Avantasia albums/tours as he hasn't appeared on an album since 'The Wicked Symphony' in 2010 or toured with them since 2008.

Avantasia are quickly becoming a favourite of mine. Tobias Sammet is brilliant at getting the best out of his guest singers. Bruce on a Avantasia track would be really interesting.

Avantasia are quickly becoming a favourite of mine. Tobias Sammet is brilliant at getting the best out of his guest singers. Bruce on a Avantasia track would be really interesting.
If I recall correctly, Tobias has said he really wants to do a song with Bruce.

It would be, but I don't think it will ever happen since Bruce doesn't seem to be too interested in music projects these days. Perhaps if Tobi lets him promote What Does This Button Do? mid-track it might happen but otherwise I suspect Bruce is too busy doing everything but music to do guest slots on anybody's album.

Judging by the guest vocalists on recent albums it doesn't seem like something Tobi would be able to make happen either.

Back