Dream Theater

That was... really underwhelming. I'd kinda been looking forward a bit to this; but he looks totally in his comfort zone, and not in a good way. Tone was also quite shit. And so was the video. Think I'll skip this.

His tone sounds muffled, it doesn’t have the balls that Suspended Animation had. I agree about the comfort zone, there’s not much new brought to the table. Hoping for more from the other songs.

Yeh, maybe that isn't the final mix. Not sure. But if that's the tone he's gone for, it's flaps. I don't listen to DT or JP but I sort of thought I should take an interest as I listen to instrumental guitar-orientated music generally. But this isn't pulling me in at all.

Did you check out the Suspended Animation album Cried? It’s really good and captures Petrucci at the top of his game. Good writing and playing. More Satriani-esque straightforward rock than what you might get from Vai or Buckethead. Super melodic.

Did you check out the Suspended Animation album Cried? It’s really good and captures Petrucci at the top of his game. Good writing and playing. More Satriani-esque straightforward rock than what you might get from Vai or Buckethead. Super melodic.
That sounds interesting. I was heavily into Satch 10 years ago, so should be right down my alley then.

Not properly. I'm really moving in the other direction a bit right now. Been listening a lot to Charlie Hunter, Brett Garsed, and Holdsworth. Always interested in new Satch stuff, Vai less so. Govan's solo album is the shit though.

Last edited:

And some awe-inducing solos. The fast stuff he played in the mid-00s is just hard to believe.

That sounds interesting. I was heavily into Satch 10 years ago, so should be right down my alley then.

One song in specific sounds like an homage to Satch.

Check out Curve, might as well be a Satch track. I think he even plays the Lydian scale.

Back