Dream Theater

Lines in the Sand is awesome. Great song and arguably the best Petrucci solo.

Enigma Machine is a decent instrumental with some good shredding.

Answer Lies Within is one of DT’s few great moments from a pure songwriting standpoint. Good performance too.

My submission for worst song would be Ministry of Lost Souls

Lines in the Sand is awesome. Great song and arguably the best Petrucci solo.

Enigma Machine is a decent instrumental with some good shredding.

Answer Lies Within is one of DT’s few great moments from a pure songwriting standpoint. Good performance too.

My submission for worst song would be Ministry of Lost Souls

I wanted to like that comment as I read the first, the second and the third line...

... but then... oh, man, what the fuck?

Breaking All Illusions is top 10 for sure.

I would actually say You Not Me is the worst DT song.

John Petrucci and James LaBrie are currently on Planet Rock - a British radio station - talking about the new album and some of their biggest influences.

There are reports that ‘Paralyzed’ is available on Australian Spotify. Cannot find any links though.

There are reports that ‘Paralyzed’ is available on Australian Spotify. Cannot find any links though.
If that's true then it will be on British Spotify in a few hours. I'll let you know while I'm having my Weetabix. You're usually still awake then! :lol:

Yeah it’s real. I found a link shortly after I posted that.

I wasn’t too impressed. I hear hints of Linkin Park every now and then in it. Ill have to give it a couple more spins.

I find James' voice being much easier to digest here. I don't think that every heavy song must have distorted or in other way brutal vocals, I think he can make it work even with his soft'n'sweet expression. Solo in the second half is pleasing.
I hear inspiration from "Home" in this one and also one bit of Astonishing that I am unable to identify. We'll see how it works in the context of the full album.

As much as I want to convince myself otherwise, I’m disappointed with all three songs so far. It’s dumbed-down, by-the-numbers DT. James sounds weak, drums are crushed, not organic. JP and Myung sound big and fill in the low to mid frequencies nicely but the compositions are just not there. Nice solo in Paralyzed.

I gave it the car test this morning. It's a lot better. But instead of Linkin Park influences, I hear Breaking Benjamin. It's kind of an odd style for DT. The solo is a return to form. This one could be a grower.

Another listen down. I'm hearing 'Diary of Jane' in the verses. It doesn't help that both songs are in the same key. Does anyone else hear it too?

Back