Dream Theater

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 26, 2005.

1. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Call me Deacon Blues

I liked it! Not as catchy as Enemy Inside, but has better sound (apart from James' vocals, of course) and the instrumental stuff is awesome.

I am still somewhat afraid - DT12 was somewhat undercooked and some songs there were much shorter than they should be - seeing the length of both the album and the tracks this might be an issue again, but I'm trying to be hopeful.

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Finally getting around to learning the song (trying not to “cheat” with the video). It’s in C standard. Same as Nightmare to remember, honor thy father, and as I am.

3. Collin

Collin Cardi C

After a few listens...
    The Enemy Inside > Gift of Music > Untethered Angel

I like the heaviness of the song, the C tuning is great, and I really like the middle section... But the rest of the song is just so unmemorable. A disappointing start so far.

4. phantomoftheicarus

phantomoftheicarus Beelzebub

Got the new song on now, Labrie's vocals don't seem right because of the effects and I thought some of the song was either bland or typically cliche, but the start of the song was fairly good

5. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

I thought the song was forgettable. Not a great first impression. Solo was good, unisons were boring. Mangini's drumming continues to be bland.

6. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

7. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Collin and terrell39 like this.
  8. Collin

Collin Cardi C

I’m down for LTE. I bet it would be better than the new DT album.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  9. Brigantium

Brigantium Grim Reaper Staff Member

Fair observation. What a bizarre thing to show in a music video.

10. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

Already knew the story behind the lyrics of ACOS but to hear it straight from Portnoy in this new video is different; makes things more real

Collin likes this.
  11. Collin

Collin Cardi C

They need him back.

Queue beating of the dead horse...

12. Saapanael

Saapanael "Get a life, punk!"

It's only a short segment from his unreleased song Zero Tolerance but I've always loved the tone Petrucci has here. The main lick is also characteristic of him, with just a bit of shred on top. A good little "Petrucci in a nutshell" in my opinion.

terrell39 likes this.
  13. Collin

Collin Cardi C

The song still hasn't clicked for me yet. The middle is good but everything else about the song is so dull. It's like DT is on Ritalin or something .It's still kind of hard for me to be excited for this album.

14. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

I like it. It exceeded my expectations by a long way after the lead songs from the two previous albums.

15. Collin

Collin Cardi C

Fall Into The Light will premiere tomorrow.

Black Wizard likes this.
  16. Saapanael

Nice, hope it's better than Untethered Angel.

17. Saapanael

18. Collin

Collin Cardi C

That sounds really good. Excited for tomorrow!

19. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Metallica influence on that one, clearly.

20. Saapanael

The G-F# F#-G-F# at the end of each repetition reminds me of Holy Wars. Thrashy stuff for sure.