3. Fall Into The Light (7:04)
4. Barstool Warrior (6:43)
5. Room 137 (4:23)
6. S2N (6:21)
7. At Wit’s End (9:20)
8. Out Of Reach (4:04)
9. Pale Blue Dot (8:25)
10. Viper King (4:00) (Bonus Track)

We have track times. Nothing over 10 minutes is a little disappointing.

Is this the shortest DT album?

Hyped!

56d07e5868a9137b45d41735694eefb1.png

Cool! I’m actually getting really hyped for this. I was pretty burnt out by the Astonishing so I’m glad they took a step back and had a quiet year before getting new music going again. A good example of a long wait between albums being beneficial.

I am curious to see if this album is any good. I did not care much for The Astonishing - I thought it was astonishingly overindulgent and underdeveloped.

I am curious to see if this album is any good. I did not care much for The Astonishing - I thought it was astonishingly overindulgent and underdeveloped.

Most Dream Theater fans felt the same way and I think it may have influenced the band's decision to write a more compact record.

If it takes a disaster like The Astonishing for DT to put out another great album, I'll happily take that.

I'm expecting this album to sound like DT12 w/ some of the heavier elements of TOT or even the heavy material on BC&SL.
This.

The Astonishing was OK. I think it was a little overly ambitious and maybe a bit rushed. I wonder if the record label imposed a hard deadline and that is partially why they switched labels after.

Wow, I'm really hyped. I too kinda burnt out on TA (although I really liked it and still do, it's just not the band at their bast), so I actually completely forgot to look out for the new album, or even listen to the band at all in the past few months. But I'm really looking forward to it. And although I always liked their longer songs (and I disagree with those who don't, because, like I've said before, I like voyages in my music and I think DT do them well) these are not really short songs anyway.

I'm really hoping for something close to ADTOE, which is my favourite of the new line-up so far. Okay, it's probably going to be heavier, but I really hope each and every song will grip me, which couldn't be said about half of DT12 and third of TA.

I’m hoping for some skull-splittingly heavy segments on this album. Other than that, no expectations, just good ol’ DT.

I’m not sure what I hope for. DT12 really hit the spot at the time and is still my favorite roadrunner era album, but it has worn off on me since then. Everything since Octavarium lacks that extra magic for me. DT12 and Black clouds come close but even those are somewhat lacking. I’m not sure what it is exactly, it’s the full album experience more than the songs themselves. Although some of their songwriting has gotten a little predictable (The Astonishing actually had some decent moments in this area).

That being said, I see a lot of reason to be excited for this. I like the old school approach of jamming without worrying too much about a preconceived style or concept. It sounds like Mangini is finally contributing more and I think having influences outside the standard Petrucci/Rudess core can only be a good thing. I’m not a fan of his approach to drums or the drum sound in DT but it seems like he’s mostly doing what is asked of him, so maybe we will hear something different this time.

I don’t care about the song lengths. It really doesn’t tell us anything imo. The songs could still be bloated or maybe they’ll feel lacking. Hopefully they just did what felt right and didn’t try to force themselves to write songs of a certain length.

I guess overall I hope this album feels more organic than previous ones. It seems like they took steps to do that, so I’m optimistic.

I'm glad you mention the organic aspect. This is something more prevalent in older DT records. Also, how the instruments work together. I've been learning Blind Faith on guitar lately and I find it fascinating how the riffs work their magic below the song, not really standing out but once you get down to learn it, it's really intricate stuff. It's hard to understand how Petrucci has found all the right notes, seemingly random at times but they work so well with the rest of the band.
I have come to appreciate Six Degrees a lot. I feel like they went all-in with that one and weren't afraid to experiment, which resulted in really unique sonic landscapes: dreamy keyboards in Disappear and Blind Faith, smooth guitar leads all around, distorted sounds like the ending of Misunderstood etc. It was perhaps their creative peak after Awake.
Regarding drum sound, even though it's been beaten to a pulp by the DT fanbase, Portnoy's drums did sound so much better. The brighter, snappier snare, for example, suits DT's style much better than the rounded not-so-dynamic snare of newer albums, imo.
DT12 is the least impressive of the new records for me. There are great moments from different songs on there and I think the ending to Illumination Theory is simply epic, but the sound of the album puts me off so much. All the subtle dynamics that are essential to DT are lost.
I feel optimistic about the new release. DT have had periods of more miss than hit but I never lose hope in them. Such talented guys can always come up with new amazing stuff.

I have come to appreciate Six Degrees a lot. I feel like they went all-in with that one and weren't afraid to experiment, which resulted in really unique sonic landscapes: dreamy keyboards in Disappear and Blind Faith, smooth guitar leads all around, distorted sounds like the ending of Misunderstood etc. It was perhaps their creative peak after Awake.

FTFY.

It took me some time as well, but honestly, SDOIT might be the DT album. You get the heavy pounding of Glass Prison (that beginning riff is the dopest) and Test, you get probably one of the best constructed DT songs ever in Blind Faith (man, that shift from the middle eight to the piano is a thing to cry over), you get your creepy psychedelia in Misunderstood, you get one of the most off DT tracks in Great Debate, your gentleness in Disappear and Goodnight Kiss, your pop-rock-good-feel in Solitary Shell... I just can't help but think this album was really creative and the most "fresh", "airy" or whatever.

I still don't understand the Systematic Chaos hatred - I mean, do people really hate Presence of Enemies (great buildups and voyages), Ministry (great pathetic ballads) or Dark Eternal Night (the prog band trying to be br000tal) so much? Honestly, no trolling, that one still excites me the most. If this new stuff sounds like that, despite the fact most people on the net would probably hate it, it seems, I would be perfectly fine with that.

Anyways, I hope they don't get as bland as with DT12 or as disgustingly emo as with Awake. (I'm not afraid they'd repeat The Astonishing so soon), but otherwise - bring it on, I believe that it's gonna be great whichever album of theirs they'll decide to channel.

I’m glad you mentioned Blind Faith because that song (and the whole album really) is imo one of their best written and arranged. So much attention to details and textures that kinda got lost after that. It felt like every single note was given the amount of attention and care that they give their albums now. They were also trying lots of different things. That’s the approach I wish they’d take now.

I have Awake and Six Degrees tied for #1. They have similar strengths and weaknesses and represent the band in the best way possible. Both albums have that organic sound that I hope they channel this time around.

Re Portnoy: his drums did sound better but I think he has become stale as a musician too. My strong belief is that I would have the same problem with the drums in DT no matter who the drummer is.

Systematic Chaos has its moments. I agree that In the Presence of Enemies and The Dark Eternal Night are solid but flawed tunes. The latter was awesome as an opener on the last tour. It’s still my least favorite album but I have expressed why before, mostly in the last survivor.

I wish DT would get back to the SDOIT-esque stuff that made them so great. If not that, than an album like Octavarium. I just get the feeling that this will be another DT12, but we'll see if my expectations are broken tomorrow.

Back