Dream Theater

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

That's a good start! The intro reminded me of 'On the Backs of Angels' from 'A Dramatic Turn of Events' ('Riding on the Backs of Untethered Angels'?) then Petrucci goes into a fucking monstrously heavy riff that @Saapanael will fucking love. Before the vocals started I was worried that James LaBrie would let the song down but he does a good job throughout. Rudess does some of his usual wacky keyboard stuff but doesn't go overboard as he often does, then Petrucci shreds the fuck out of the solo.

Welcome back, Dream Theater.

MrKnickerbocker and Lampwick 43 like this.
  2. Saapanael

Saapanael "Get a life, punk!"

Ooh, I’m excited. I just left home and won’t be back till the evening but I don’t want the first listen to be through earphones.

3. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

Actually I recommend hearing on earbuds...but switch them (put the right one in your left ear, etc). Reason being, especially during the solos, majority of guitar is in the left channel and keyboards in the right. This is not the point of view we see DT live from. This is James' POV. So if you switch the earbuds, then you can hear the song from the audience's POV (with guitar in the right channel and keyboards in the left)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 2:57 PM
    MrKnickerbocker likes this.
  4. Black Wizard

Some Spanish dude? Who's he?

terrell39 likes this.
  5. terrell39

Damn autocorrect! I have edited to correct

Black Wizard likes this.
  6. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Jaime is the Other James. Jaime is the James who shows up every other show or two and sings like a duck having its neck stepped on. Jaime is the guy who eats too much spicy food and ruins his voice for 15 years. At least, this is what James tells himself.

THE SONG: is good. The instrumental section is outstanding and I absolutely love the harmony. LaBrie's melodies aren't my favorite, but he sounds like LaBrie. The vocal parts during the early bridge part actually remind me of The Astonishing in tone and delivery. But at the end of the day: the drums sounds good, we can hear Myung, and Jordan's keyboard is just weird enough without sounding like space monkeys having an orgy. If the whole album is like this, I will be happy.

Black Wizard and Night Prowler like this.
  7. terrell39

The bass is definitely easier to hear than on The Astonishing

8. MrKnickerbocker

So...this is amazing.

Lampwick 43 and terrell39 like this.
  9. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I like it! Sounds like a 7 string guitar, don’t have access to an instrument right now to check though. It’s heavy enough and kinda has that classic DT sound. The guitar playing is so awesome. Petrucci’s solo melted my face. And that little harmony at the end of the instrumental is awesome. If this is indicative of the album, sign me up.

Hard to judge the mix based on an overcompressed YouTube stream so I won’t go there, but JLB sounds buried and overprocessed. His vocals don’t sound great. Not a good sign there, but if the music is good that won’t bother me too much.

terrell39 likes this.
  10. MrKnickerbocker

See above your post, it's a 6 string!

Mosh likes this.
  11. terrell39

12. Mosh

Interesting. Are alt tunings back? They haven’t used those much since Black Clouds.

13. Black Wizard

The clearest I've ever heard it was on 'A Dramatic Turn Of Events'.

I think he sounds good enough. He's not been great for a while but can still get the job done in the right circumstances.

14. Collin

Collin Miasma

I really liked the middle section, that had a lot of elements of classic DT right there. I’ll need a few more listens to completely digest the song. I’m not completely sold yet.

terrell39 likes this.
  15. terrell39

Does anyone know if Live At Luna Park audio was ever available as a digital download? I own the blu ray but would love to own the audio (especially of Bridges In the Sky)

16. Mosh

I think it’s streaming on Spotify.

terrell39 likes this.
  17. terrell39

I have over 10k songs in my Amazon cloud, but for this reason now I guess I'll have to try Spotify.

18. terrell39

Just checked Spotify. They don't have it. Guess the cd (which is only in the 6 disc special edition) is the only official release of the audio

19. Black Wizard

Interesting. Many other Dream Theater live albums are on Spotify.

20. terrell39

I agree. My jaw was wide open watching that solo.

My son is so jaded by watching too many videos of various shredders that when he saw the new DT video, during the solo all he had to say was "why does it show him cooking burgers?"

Black Wizard likes this.