Dream Theater

The article namedrops a couple of the tracks. "Fall into the Light", "Paralyzed", "At Wit's End" and "Barstool Warrior".

In the song ''At Wit's End'' the band talks about how they can't come up with any new material and consider becoming a caberet act.

Some of those sound like working titles. Like how Shaman’s Trance eventually became Bridges In the Sky.

I will go see them abroad if they play SFAM in Europe.

Yup, must-see..

The article namedrops a couple of the tracks. "Fall into the Light", "Paralyzed", "At Wit's End" and "Barstool Warrior".

Barstool Warrior doesn’t sound like a DT title, does it?
I think with their live history they will look to play every song live apart from The Best of Times.

Why does Petrucci’s most grandiose solo have to be in a song they won’t play live? Maybe someday with a guest appearance from Portnoy.

I have low expectations for Barstool Warrior. I'll keep them low along the lines of Weekend Warrior.

Portnoy's become so accustomed to changing bands every other year, he would probably be bored staying in 1 band.

Agreed. DT becoming stale was the reason Portnoy left in the first place, and even though he attempted to come back afterwards, I bet his run as an all over the place musician solidifed his initial sentiment. He figured out a way to play his old DT songs live with the whole Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress thing, too.

MP is just as stale as DT though, if not more. He goes into the studio for a week, bangs out his typical drum parts, and then moves on to the next thing. Even if the musical styles of the projects are radically different (and they’re really not), his playing style is pretty much the same throughout. Everything he’s done in the last few years seems super phoned in.

I agree, and that's why none of his projects interest me, but playing with different musicians all the time surely makes a difference for him.

I think that’s really it. He very much seems like a quantity over quality guy. He might not have put out very many memorable records since leaving DT, but his resume is really impressive as far as who he’s worked with.

Back