Dream Theater

I really like the new album, not sure why it gets such flak here. Strongest since Train of Thought, IMO, though that album also gets some crap here.

I've listened to the album 6 times and the only song I can remember from start to finish is The Enemy Inside. Not a whole lot of melodies/riffs I can remember, too. I've given up on it.

Still love the new album. I love the cinematic vibe to it, all the ambient bits thrown in there help create a really cool mood and is never too much like on Octavarium. It also helps that I've been really into ambiance lately. I also like that there isn't too many crazy instrumental sections and the none of the songs go too long. Might be my favorite JR performance, he's never abrasive and when his parts come out they really shine. Very melodic too, which is always nice.

This nex record is a massive disappointment for me. Not enough beautiful instrumental passages, and the vocal melodies are often boring. And what the hell is Myung doing? Now that Portnoy is gone, he can be heard, and he ruins all this with boring and un-melodic basslines. He should be told that technic is not enough and listen to Harry and Gedddy Lee. I hope it's a grower, but I seriously doubt it.

This nex record is a massive disappointment for me. Not enough beautiful instrumental passages, and the vocal melodies are often boring. And what the hell is Myung doing? Now that Portnoy is gone, he can be heard, and he ruins all this with boring and un-melodic basslines. He should be told that technic is not enough and listen to Harry and Gedddy Lee. I hope it's a grower, but I seriously doubt it.

Myung has listened to 'Arry and Geddy lots and lots of times I'm sure. DT often states Maiden and Rush as main influences. He has written very melodic basslines in the past but this album just feels dull for everyone involved. Petrucci's solos are nothing special, Rudess isn't even noteworthy, LaBrie sounds tired. Mangini does some cool stuff but sounds as if he's trying a bit too hard at times and is a bit over the top.

I know Octavarium isn't as good as the others. But it was my first DT album, so it's more of a subjective thing. Still, I'd say it's probably their best record after Metropolis 2 and/or Six Degrees.

I'm not a Dream Theater fanatic. I think they are a band with some brilliant albums and a whole slew of meandering, self-important garbage. If you eliminated everything post-Train of Thought to pre-self-titled (although ADTOE has some bright spots), I'd probably be a much bigger fan overall.

But, we all have weaknesses for our introductory album. I still think Metallica's ReLoad is a solid album.

But, we all have weaknesses for our introductory album. I still think Metallica's ReLoad is a solid album.
A Dramatic Turn of Events is still one of my favorites, theres really only two bad songs. Its also probably the best since Train of Thought.

I think Octavarium was the last DT album in which they managed to show a little diversity. Train of Thought was too pseudo metal for me, with the same formula being repeated again and again. After that everything is just bland, although I've got to say Dramatic Turn is way more unified and serious as an album compared to Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds. They even looked like your average modern metal band when they were like in their mid 40s.

ADTOE is too safe for me. It's a good album, but it seems like they just wanted to prove that they could survive without Portnoy, which they definitely did. It's certainly not a bad album, easily their most consistent since ToT, but I still wouldn't consider it a favorite. Part of why I like DT12 so much is that there's a lot more experimentation on it.

Like Sat15, I really like Octavarium for its diversity as well as its more song orientated approach. Not to mention the immense title track.

ADTOE has some incredibly beautiful melodies, that help to forget the most mediocre moments. I must admit that Octavarium is among my favorite DT albums, only beaten by the fantastic Metropolis Part 2. I'm with Satellite 15 on Train of Thought : "pseudo-Metal" is the right expression to sum up my opinion. And there is this horrible instrumental ; makes me think of the Call of Ktulu (endless repetition of the same boring riffs, again and again). But their most obvious weakness is the singer ; they need to do something about the vocal melodies : Labrie can ruin an otherwise decent song.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 25th, 2013 – 6:00AM EST
HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DREAM THEATER

TO OUR FANS ALL OVER THE WORLD!
It is because of all of you that “A Dramatic Tour Of Events” was such a success. We enjoyed playing to you all each and every night on the road!

As a special “Thank You” we are releasing a compilation of live tracks that were not included on “Live At Luna Park.” With these now being available, you have a complete documentation of all the songs that were played during the tour (with the exception of cover songs.)
Happy Holidays, and we look forward to having you “Along For The Ride” in 2014.
~Dream Theater

CD1:
01 Under A Glass Moon (Phoenix, AZ 12/4/11)
02 Forsaken (London, UK 7/24/11)
03 Peruvian Skies (London, UK 7/24/11)
04 Endless Sacrifice (Austin, TX 10/26/11)
05 Drum Solo (Austin, TX 10/26/11)
06 YtseJam (Austin, TX 10/26/11)
07 The Great Debate (London, UK 7/24/11)
CD2:
08 Another Day (Austin, TX 7/7/12)
09 Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy (Montreal, QB 10/7/11)
10 To Live Forever (Huntington, NY 7/19/12)
11 Learning To Live (Tel Aviv, Israel 7/19/11)
12 The Count of Tuscany (London, UK 7/24/11)
13 As I Am (Shibuya, Japan 4/24/12)

Concept : Rai “Weymolith” Beardsley
Produced By John Petrucci
Archive Management & Selection : James LaBrie & John Petrucci
Keeper of the Archives : Maddi Shieferstein
Live Sound Engineer : Nigel Paul (Tracks 1-3, 7, 11-13)
Mixing & Mastering : Richard Chycki
Artwork : Hugh Syme

This material included in this special Holiday 2013 release has been copied and communicated to you by or on behalf of Dream Theater / Ytse Jams Inc and is copyrighted.
All music and lyrics by Dream Theater and published by Ytse Jams (ASCAP)

Distribution of this electronic file set is allowed as long as this information file is included and remains unaltered.
SALE STRICKLY PROHIBITED

Download the torrent here :
http://hourglassdreams.com/dt_holidays2013.torrent

Unfamilar with BitTorrent : http://www.utorrent.com/

Information and software for decoding FLAC files : https://xiph.org/flac/

1476659_10151790795462181_870328208_n.jpg

That's cool Night Prowler, but I am unable to download it. Were you able to?
Edit: Nevermind, I got it.

Last edited:
Very awesome. Still haven't picked up Luna Park but I'm definitely more excited about this. Too bad it's not on CD.

You could always burn it to a CD. I got Luna park, I haven't watched it yet, I really want to tonight.

What an awful process this is to download these. I had to download a torrent thingy, which in return downloaded a whole bunch of other stuff on my computer. Most of these were ads. And now that they've finally downloaded I have to convert them all to MP3 files because they downloaded as wavepad sound editor files.

Back