Dream Theater

Ah I was wrong, Finally Free is the closer. Awesome! Can't wait to see this show.

What an epic encore! Yeah that will be a great show. Hopefully they get rid of Along for the Ride and exchange it for The Bigger Picture. Then it would be a perfect setlist.

Yea don't care for AFTR, but they like their short ballads before doing an encore so it'll probably stay.

Not sure about TSF, it's awesome that they're premiering it but it seems like a weird spot in the set and honestly I don't really care for the song out of context with the suite. But given that it has never been played live, I'll save my judgement for when I see it in person.

Unfortunately you're probably right, after all the tour is named after the song.

I like TSF, it is in a bit of a weird spot. I think it would be great as a set closer. They really need to play the entire suite.

TSF is also in an awkward spot on the album. I suppose there really isn't any great spot for that song.

I'd like to see them play the whole suite, but not without Portnoy. That wouldn't be right.

Don't know if I want to see this setlist messed with for the US run. The first set could use some tweaking but the second set and encore are perfect.

Apparently the setlist is the same so far but with a different order and no Scarred or Illumination Theory (at least not yet).

There's one of them.
Do we have to talk in spoilers now?

Edit: I'm looking at the Dream Theater forum and the show was apparently going cut short. The stage was finished late and they had a certain time that they had to finish by.

Last edited:
If tour talk bugs people, then I don't have a problem with using tags.

Tonight's concert is probably not a good comparison. Apparently they started late and had to cut the set short because of curfew. So no encore, no Scarred, and Illumination Theory got cut short. But I imagine had things not gone wrong the set would've been the same as last night.

Fair point. We can use spoilers.

I haven't been keeping up, but has Dream Theater continued to change their setlist every night post-Portnoy? Wasn't that sort of his thing?

Portnoy wrote the setlists by himself, he had a very complicated system for doing so too.

The summer tour before ADTOE had the same set every night, while the actual ADTOE had two different setlists that alternated. However they weren't extremely different, just a few songs rotated in and out.

Tonight's show is probably not an indicator for what will happen this year, but they didn't seem too interested in bringing back rotating setlists. So if anything it'll probably be an A/B set again.

Yeah I bet they're will be rotating setlists. They just can't possible go the whole tour without playing The Bigger Picture, and Surrender to Reason.

Well there were a couple songs from ADTOE that didn't get played on the first leg of the tour. My guess is either
They rotate those songs with The Looking Glass or they bring them out during the US tour. DT prides themselves in playing every song live, so we'll see them soon enough.

Back