Dream Theater

My rankings would be like this:

5 Star Albums : Images and Words, Scenes from a Memory, Awake, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4 Star Albums : A Dramatic Turn of Events
3 Star Albums : Train of Thought, Falling Into Infinity
2 Star Albums : Black Clouds & Silver Linings
1 Star Albums : Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, Dream Theater, When Dream and Day Unite

If you count half stars TOT would be 3,5 stars, Octavarium would be 1,5 stars.

Last edited:
Misunderstood is meh, I don't really get Disappear because they had just done a song about death on the previous album, The Spirit Carries On, but other than that the rest is brilliant.

Misunderstood and Disappear have their moods (the climax of the latter is amazing), but otherwise the other three tracks from that disc definitely overshadow them. Blind Faith has some great melodies and riffs, I love the lyrical theme of Great Debate (which the Tool-ish music fits perfectly), and Glass Prison speaks for itself.

What these rankings prove is the VAST range of Dream Theater fandom. For example, I used to HATE Octaviarium and it is now in my top 5, absolutely love it, it just grew on me. Also, I am SHOCKED at the high ratings for Train of Thought. It is a good album and I really liked it when it first came out, but upon repeated listens it is pretty boring and unimaginative except for Stream of Consciousness. The line between "tribute" and "copycat" are very blurred and it is not enough Dream Theater and too Metallica/Megadeth for my taste. I think Systematic Chaos is one of their more solid efforts, but agree more or less with the rest of the rankings.

I could never really get into Octavarium. I thought the concept was interesting (ending where it began, raising key signatures every song, etc.) but most of the songs themselves are lackluster. There's some nice riffs here and there, and some of the poppy songs work, but overall it was underwhelming to me. The title track is so inconsistent that it hurts to listen to; the song doesn't actually pick up until Myung's bass groove like eight minutes in or something, and then it's just lyrical gibberish until that awesome "Trapped inside this octavarium!" part. Plus that filler ambient intro... ugh. And aside from the chorus, the opening song is pure stock filler. I can't believe they would continue the awesomeness that was Glass Prison and This Dying Soul with that, a song chock full of elementary-level riffs.

Stream of Consciousness is probably the highest point of Train of Thought, or at least pretty close. I've always been partial to Honor Thy Father, but that's like their heaviest song. When that album came out I was obsessed with it, but that was a different time (when I was a metal-obsessed teenager). There are weak points: some of the instrumental parts in This Dying Soul and (especially) Endless Sacrifice drag the songs down a bit.

Systematic Chaos is an album I've learned to appreciate more and more through time. I love Forsaken, Constant Motion sets a mood perfectly matched by the lyrics, Dark Eternal Night has crunchiness, Repentance sounds like Opeth, and Prophets and Ministry contain a lot of feeling in them. The epic track is also one of their better long songs in my opinion. Only the obnoxious and mostly unnecessary instrumental interludes in Dark Eternal Night and (particularly) Ministry drag this album down.

Octavarium...is just boring and lifeless to me. If we're talking copycatting, I'd say that Octavarium through BC&SL are the most overtly copycat albums. The number of times I hear different U2, Muse, Metallica, and Megadeth songs on those albums is shocking

I think Octavarium has some emotion on it; it's just that this band has done emotion so much better in the past. It also contains arguably the worst DT song in the past decade, Never Enough. Not even the sweet intro to Panic Attack could save that album. And could they write a less emotional song about one of the most catastrophic events of the last 20 years with Sacrificed Sons?

Honestly, I think my ranking for A Dramatic Turn of Events is so high just because it's the first of four albums that doesn't sound like mathletes reciting equations while getting beat up by some college bro's in a locker room while CNN plays in the background.

Here's an equation for you: DT - MP = interesting again

And your description does describe select sections of Outcry and Lost Not Forgotten, just minus the CNN.

Last edited:
@Detective Beauregard I do agree with you about the rest of the 12 step suite it's feels kind of lazy, while The Glass Prison and This Dying Soul are just amazing.

I see this a lot, why do people dislike Endless Sacrifice? That song is so heavy and filled with some of Dream Theater's best guitar riffs.

I could never really get into Octavarium. I thought the concept was interesting (ending where it began, raising key signatures every song, etc.) but most of the songs themselves are lackluster. There's some nice riffs here and there, and some of the poppy songs work, but overall it was underwhelming to me. The title track is so inconsistent that it hurts to listen to; the song doesn't actually pick up until Myung's bass groove like eight minutes in or something, and then it's just lyrical gibberish until that awesome "Trapped inside this octavarium!" part. Plus that filler ambient intro... ugh. And aside from the chorus, the opening song is pure stock filler. I can't believe they would continue the awesomeness that was Glass Prison and This Dying Soul with that, a song chock full of elementary-level riffs.

Stream of Consciousness is probably the highest point of Train of Thought, or at least pretty close. I've always been partial to Honor Thy Father, but that's like their heaviest song. When that album came out I was obsessed with it, but that was a different time (when I was a metal-obsessed teenager). There are weak points: some of the instrumental parts in This Dying Soul and (especially) Endless Sacrifice drag the songs down a bit.

Don't get me started on the ambient bullshit...I get what they're trying to do, but if there's one thing I definitely don't listen to Dream Theater for, it's ambient noise.

I honestly don't know what weak parts you're referencing on Train of Thought. The riffs are occasionally more simplistic than on some other DT albums, but I wouldn't say they drag the songs down. I'm all for a bit of constant chug. "Stream of Consciousness", while quite good, IMO showcases way too much DT wankery.

Here's an equation for you: DT - MP = interesting again

Very much agreed. The last two albums feel like the whole band taking a gigantic deep breath of fresh non-Portnoy musk air (except Myung, who we know neither breathes nor eats nor sleeps).

@Detective Beauregard I do agree with you about the rest of the 12 step suite it's feels kind of lazy, while The Glass Prison and This Dying Soul are just amazing.

It's really too bad, because it started off so promising. "The Glass Prison" is probably my favorite DT song of all time and it just kept going downhill from there. I can't even remember the last song in the suite, the one with Portnoy's melodramatic Lifetime movie monologue, but it's so bad I wish I could erase it from my memory like a bad hangover.

I see this a lot, why do people dislike Endless Sacrifice? That song is so heavy and filled with some of Dream Theater's best guitar riffs.

I've heard people say it's repetitive. I don't understand, either. I love it.

What I get from you guys' comments is that you listen to Dream Theater for its heaviness. Can't say I do, I like a bit of heaviness but that's it.

Octavarium is a pretentious album all along. However the title track is a masterpiece and the ambient part definitely is NOT "bullshit". That part and its transition to the next part sends chills down my spine.

Misunderstood is not meh, Top 25 song for sure.

Only songs that I love "love" from Train of Thought are In the Name of God and Stream of Consciousness. As I Am is pretty good, others are meh at best while Honor Thy Father is flat out boring.

Like I've said before on here, Systematic Chaos features the most wankery out of any DT album and sounds just like what people make out of DT before listening to them. Pure wankery and cheesy lyrics. Constant Motion is pretentious, Forsaken is as cheesy as you can get.

Last edited:
What I get from you guys' comments is that you listen to Dream Theater for its heaviness. Can't say I do, I like a bit of heaviness but that's it.

That's not all I like, but I think they do heavy very well. Many of my favorite songs are not only light, but often maligned by other DT fans (Another Day, Hollow Years, The Silent Man, etc). I just think that since Scenes from a Memory, most of their "typical Dream Theater" songs (i.e. a bit of heavy, a bit of light, some airy keyboard work, grand scope, light vocals mixed with heavier vocals) have been mediocre at best. The new album turns that around, I think, but since 6DOIT, heavy has been their best asset.

Octavarium is a pretentious album all along. However the title track is a masterpiece and the ambient part definitely is NOT "bullshit". That part and its transition to the next part sends chills down my spine.

Only songs that I love "love" from Train of Thought are In the Name of God and Stream of Consciousness. As I Am is pretty good, others are meh at best while Honor Thy Father is flat out boring.

Differing opinions and all, but I find "Octavarium" to be incredibly boring. Possibly the most boring Dream Theater song due to its length.

Honor Thy Father is awesome, as is the rest of the album. Vacant is the only "meh" song on the album, and that's just because it feels incomplete, like a segue instead of a fully developed song.

Like I've said before on here, Systematic Chaos features the most wankery out of any DT album and sounds just like what people make out of DT before listening to them. Pure wankery and cheesy lyrics. Constant Motion is pretentious, Forsaken is as cheesy as you can get.

Oh, this we can both agree on. It's like listening to bees fight inside my brain.

MP has stated in several interviews that he screwed up with the A.A suite, that he should have made one song with all the steps instead of spreading it out into several songs. That what started as a therapeutic process became, "homework," and like most homework it became tedious work instead of creative therapy.

MP has stated in several interviews that he screwed up with the A.A suite, that he should have made one song with all the steps instead of spreading it out into several songs. That what started as a therapeutic process became, "homework," and like most homework it became tedious work instead of creative therapy.

That's it! That's what the last three albums with Portnoy sound like!

Portnoy already stated that things have become stale when he was in the band. Perhaps that's why he wanted to go on a hiatus.

This is about the 12 step suite. As I said before I really like The Glass Prison and This Dying Soul, The Root of All Evil just is boring and simple. The first 2 outshine it. by a lot. I feel as though Repentance is too long. I like the first section of it (0:00 - 5:43) I love the lyrics during that section, and the solo is just beautiful. The Shattered Fortress is an improvement. Apart from being a whole new song, it combines the elements of the previous 4 songs into one, which is kind of a cool idea. Apart from The Count of Tuscany, The Shattered Fortress is the best on Black Clouds.

This just made me really excited for the upcoming release, I can't wait to hear live versions of Bridges in the Sky and Breaking All Illusions.

The lack of Myung is quite disturbing. I'm not gonna lie -- without my daily dose of Myung it's hard for me to function at optimal levels.

I totally forgot that the DVD was coming out. I've seen great reviews, I'll have to pick it up sometime. The delays really hurt my excitement for it though, all that ADTOE album/tour buzz is completely gone.

I don't think they ever explained the delay, but I know it was supposed to be released this time last year. Maybe earlier. I do remember reading somewhere that there was a problem with the mix and they had to redo the whole thing...but that still doesn't explain why it had to be pushed back an entire year.

Great Jam. Yet to listen to the new album, but aside from the crap it's gotten here, most reviews are positive.

Back