Dream Theater

A

Anonymous

considering there is a dragonforce forum, i'd like to find out what everyone thinks about Dream Theater

They are technicly perfect, but some songs are just boring or overacting. My favorite songs are: pull me under, as i am, the glass prison, the root of of evil, a fortune in lies and this dying soul. I have watched DT in Ljubljana, SLO a week ago, it was amazing. DT rulz. BTW, have you seen petrucci's new look? [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I really like DT, though I'll admit some of their less stellar material can get boring. But their last album really restored my faith in them. I think the title track from that record ("Octavarium") is simply amazing.

I thought the opposite. I was VERY disapointed in the new album, after TOT I had high hopes and they smashed them all, so given the bands progression I see it as a step back. However, the more I listen to it and completely IGNORE thier back-catalog it is a good album.

Awake is brilliant in my opinion. I don't see any "musical masturbation" there. Well maybe a tad in Erotomania. I wish the metal community was a bit more tolerant with Dream Theater. Yes, they don't sing about lame old cliches, they actually have interesting lyrics and what not. Who says metal can't be intelligent?

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 3 2005, 08:37 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 3 2005, 08:37 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Awake is brilliant in my opinion. I don't see any "musical masturbation" there. Well maybe a tad in Erotomania.
[snapback]122080[/snapback]​
[/quote]

What the hell is "musical masturbation"? As for the intelligence, i totally agree, just imagine Fred Durst trying to make a 15 minute epic...

"Musical masturbation" is a derisive term used to accuse a band of overdoing the length of a song, having awkward time-changes for the sake of it or putting in a guitar solo for no other reason than to show off how good you are. And as for our ol' pal Fred, well, I remember a joke "who has more musicality? Fred Durst or a blender?"

Aaaaah I see. I do admit some of Dream Theater's songs seem a bit long, but not quite in a boring way, just when you need a pee and you think "I'm not going till this song ends" but 5 mins later you're still waiting.

Ok. Going back onto the topic, I recommend that people hers the solo in 'Sacrificed Sons' because it is certainly not masturbation.

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Nov 3 2005, 08:56 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Nov 3 2005, 08:56 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Aaaaah I see. I do admit some of Dream Theater's songs seem a bit long, but not quite in a boring way, just when you need a pee and you think "I'm not going till this song ends" but 5 mins later you're still waiting.
[snapback]122085[/snapback]​
[/quote]
haha.... [!--emo&:lmao:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

anyway, bend is, to say, 'dualistic' , they have certain riffs which sound great and opposite, some which are totally overdone and unnecessary....

johh petruci is overrated guitar player, tehnically very rispectable, but kinda 'uncreative', musician who lacks personal identity , he delivers too much pattern riffs and his solos are mostly boring, except on 'images and words' where is almost every solo excellent....he doesn't know to improvise as well, and a lot of people says that his solo album is junk....I didn't hear it....yet....

bend's pretentious concept irritates me a lot though I listen to them ocassionaly....there's no album where everything is fit right, 'bonus' riffs could be found anywhere, disharmonic changes of tempo and song atmosphere are present as well and it's all quite overdone....

if you are perfectionist, it will bother a lot....

personaly, I like drummer, and I think that he is the best in the band along with some of keyboard players....

not to forget vocal trouble - la brie's voice is always at the edge of 'cracking' on extremly high notes....

[!--QuoteBegin-Stefan Verbal Delikvent+Nov 14 2005, 06:35 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Stefan Verbal Delikvent @ Nov 14 2005, 06:35 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]bend's pretentious concept irritates me a lot though I listen to them ocassionaly
[snapback]123053[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Why is it that when a band writes some lyrics that aren't about binge drinking or sex they get written off as 'pretentious'? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

"The Glass Prison" is about binge drinking [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

people are having sex on "Home" [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I like Octavarium very much. Another DT fan (a greater one than me, in the sense that she is totally in them, as opposed to me) told me it was junk, but i got it anyway, and considered it very good, as opposed to Train of Thoughts, which I really hated...
Scenes from a memory and Octavarium seem to be my favourite albums from DT, a good band, but in no case the best prog band around (see Porcupine Tree for example, and you'll see what I mean) They seem to have no ideas of their own, and copy a little bit of this, a little bit of that... No wonder some of their songs seem awfully familiar the first time i hear them...

I'd never heard of Porcupine Tree...until now. So I downloaded Shallow and it's pretty good. But I think i'll stay with Dream Theater for now.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Nov 18 2005, 07:36 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Nov 18 2005, 07:36 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]"The Glass Prison" is about binge drinking [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

people are having sex on "Home" [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]123435[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I mean writing about it in stupid manner. And anyway, "The Mirror" is about Portnoy's alcohol addiction and how it's tearing him apart so that is sort of about binging right? [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I know what you meant, I was just being an ass. and yes the mirror would fall under binge drinking [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

you mean these [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]?

Back