Dream Theater

He's never really been able to recreate it live. It's absolutely insane to play. The guy from Shattered Fortress (Haken guy?) actually did it cleaner:

^That’s Eric Gillette who plays in Neal Morse Band, insane player and a really good singer as well. The Haken guys are the two guitarists on the far side of the stage.

Petrucci recorded that part using all alternate picking, but almost always does some sort of combination of sweep picking/economy picking live, so it doesn’t sound quite right even if he plays the notes correctly (which also doesn’t happen a lot). The other problem is that they always play it a bit faster live. Not sure if they’re going to keep click tracks live, I have a hard time seeing MP going along with that but it’s also not his call I guess.

Besides that section and the Blind Faith unison I can’t really think of any other impossibly difficult sections in a DT song. Nothing I haven’t seen JP recreate live reasonably well, although he tends to flub notes in the upper register (as is the guitarist’s way).

Portnoy confirmed already in a recent studio update that the setlist has been decided.
OK, that was fast. After seeing that group interview I was under the impression Portnoy is still walking on eggs around all of them, so I thought setlist decision will happen before the tour starts. Surely he didn't advocate rotating setlist again, right? I doubt LaBrie could handle those today.
I wonder if Petrucci could play that part.
I don’t know if Petrucci could ever play that part.
I was thinking you thought at that part around sixth minute. Wish he never played that part.

I thought about it and out of all the songs they could play from Scenes, I think I would definitely most want to see Beyond This Life or Home being performed. I know both songs were played quite recently, but...well, they both are especially great live. Also, they feature prominent Portnoy backing vocals which would fit the conceit of this upcoming tour pretty well.

...Beyond This Life is also half-instrumental more or less so it's easier on JLB.

Has Portnoy been know of teasing the setlist before the tour (while he was in DT)?
I've noticed he's been using certain songs with the tour announcement. Tt's the usual suspect like Metropolis, Pull Me Under, As I Am, but yesterday was Constant Motion. What's the word on DT forums? (I'm watching this space since my going is directly connected to the setlist)

I'm a bit tired of As I Am at this point. Would much rather hear Vacant + Stream of Consciousness from that album, thank you very much.

Has Portnoy been know of teasing the setlist before the tour (while he was in DT)?
I've noticed he's been using certain songs with the tour announcement. Tt's the usual suspect like Metropolis, Pull Me Under, As I Am, but yesterday was Constant Motion. What's the word on DT forums? (I'm watching this space since my going is directly connected to the setlist)
Not sure, the thing is that they rotated so heavily that I don’t think they could really tease that much. In my experience the most reliable teasing has been JR posting practice vlogs of certain songs (not sure if he still does this). What are you expecting from the setlist? Or in other words, what’s going to make you go?

All those songs seem like safe bets though. I am also a bit tired of As I Am but it’s kinda their Aces High in terms of openers, so I wouldn’t be surprised.

Not sure, the thing is that they rotated so heavily that I don’t think they could really tease that much. In my experience the most reliable teasing has been JR posting practice vlogs of certain songs (not sure if he still does this). What are you expecting from the setlist? Or in other words, what’s going to make you go?

All those songs seem like safe bets though. I am also a bit tired of As I Am but it’s kinda their Aces High in terms of openers, so I wouldn’t be surprised.
To follow up on this, I was curious what DT could actually play to make the setlist really special/exciting not just for Portnoy being back but also taking into account what they have played recently, as they pulled out quite a few deep cuts during Mangini's time in the band. Going off memory, these are the MP era songs that were NOT played live with Mangini (in other words, songs that haven't been played in 14 years):

BC&SL
A Rite of Passage
The Best of Times

Systematic Chaos
Repentance
Prophets of War
ITPOE Part 2

Octavarium
The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Never enough
Octavarium

Train of Thought
This Dying Soul
Honor Thy Father
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
In the Name of God

Six Degrees
Glass Prison
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
Disappear
- I think just about everything from Disc 2 has been played at some point?

Falling Into Infinity
New Millennium
You Not Me
Hollow Years
Lines in the Sand
Just Let Me Breathe
Take Away My Pain
Anna Lee

Awake
Innocence Faded
Erotomania
Voices

WDADU
Status Seeker
Light Fuse and Get Away
The Killing Hand
The Ones Who Help To Set the Sun
Only a Matter of Time

Overall, I would say the catalog was pretty well represented. The most egregious omissions to me are from Train of Thought and Six Degrees, so I feel like I would at least have a lot of personal excitement if these songs had representation on the new tour. I love all the songs from Disc 1 of Six Degrees, and even The Great Debate was only played on one tour, Mangini's first tour back in 2011, so it has been awhile. Stream of Consciousness also feels like such a no brainer, it's a 12 minute break for JLB! I am sure to some degree MP is treating this as the band hitting the reset button, so we're going to get a lot of "classics" that were played plenty of times over the past decade, but I also hope he pulls a bit from the above list as there are some huge fan favorites that would be much more exciting than something like digging out ACOS again.

To follow up on this, I was curious what DT could actually play to make the setlist really special/exciting not just for Portnoy being back but also taking into account what they have played recently, as they pulled out quite a few deep cuts during Mangini's time in the band. Going off memory, these are the MP era songs that were NOT played live with Mangini (in other words, songs that haven't been played in 14 years):

BC&SL
A Rite of Passage
The Best of Times

Systematic Chaos
Repentance
Prophets of War
ITPOE Part 2

Octavarium
The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Never enough
Octavarium

Train of Thought
This Dying Soul
Honor Thy Father
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
In the Name of God

Six Degrees
Glass Prison
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
Disappear
- I think just about everything from Disc 2 has been played at some point?

Falling Into Infinity
New Millennium
You Not Me
Hollow Years
Lines in the Sand
Just Let Me Breathe
Take Away My Pain
Anna Lee

Awake
Innocence Faded
Erotomania
Voices

WDADU
Status Seeker
Light Fuse and Get Away
The Killing Hand
The Ones Who Help To Set the Sun
Only a Matter of Time

Overall, I would say the catalog was pretty well represented. The most egregious omissions to me are from Train of Thought and Six Degrees, so I feel like I would at least have a lot of personal excitement if these songs had representation on the new tour. I love all the songs from Disc 1 of Six Degrees, and even The Great Debate was only played on one tour, Mangini's first tour back in 2011, so it has been awhile. Stream of Consciousness also feels like such a no brainer, it's a 12 minute break for JLB! I am sure to some degree MP is treating this as the band hitting the reset button, so we're going to get a lot of "classics" that were played plenty of times over the past decade, but I also hope he pulls a bit from the above list as there are some huge fan favorites that would be much more exciting than something like digging out ACOS again.
Have they ever played Honor Thy Father? I think that, along with Glass Prison and Hollow Years would be the most exciting to hear with Portnoy back.

Dream Theater has never played these songs live:
The Best of Times
Surrender to Reason
S2N
Room 137
Out of Reach
Viper King
Transcending Time

Mostly off the Mangini era. Weirdly, with Portnoy back in the band I feel that we will probably get all of these songs played at some point. Prior to BCSL, all songs had been played other than Space Dye Vest.

Re Honor Thy Father, I’ve heard that MP and his stepfather reconciled and the band unofficially retired the song as a result. Not sure how much truth there is to that but it would make sense I suppose.

Weirdly, with Portnoy back in the band I feel that we will probably get all of these songs played at some point.
I hope they will focus on the good ones instead! (honestly, past Octavarium, there is little I feel is worth playing again)
:D

Last edited:
The first three feel quite likely, I'd say.
Agreed, also my top three picks if I had to choose personally. Depending on the level of rotation, how much of the Mangini era they're interested in representing live, and how many tours they have left, I could see them eventually getting to everything.

It definitely is one of the more unique sounding songs. I felt like Awaken the Master, Invisible Monster, and Sleeping Giant all felt kinda same-y, so I could see Transcending Time breaking things up more if it had been included. Overall though I can’t complain too much as I’m glad they covered all but one song off the album, unlike DT12 and D/T which each had several unplayed songs by the time the initial touring wrapped up.

What are you expecting from the setlist? Or in other words, what’s going to make you go?
I have no expectations, two years ago the setlist seemed kinda weak on paper but I still had a good time (even if one of those ten songs was title track from their last album which I really dislike).

TBH, the more I get from 1999-2005 period - the bigger the chances that I'll be there. But even if they mainly focus on that one (which I doubt since it's 30th anniversary tour) they can hit all the "wrong spots". For example, choosing those piano ballad-ish one from SFAM (Through My Words, Through Her Eyes, Spirit Carries On) or radio-friendly ones from Octavarium (I Walk Beside You) and then pull some longer ones from previous albums (A Change of Seasons, Metropolis, Learning to Live) + add a couple of hit singles (such as Pull Me Under, Wither).... IDK, it seems like a best of + something that a regular DT fan would want to see live, but it wouldn't interest me as all.

Guess, even when I see the setlist, I'll have to skim a video or two to see how the whole thing looks like before I finally decide.

Back