Dream Theater

I really had trouble getting into Astonishing. I respect them for doing something different, and their latest concert was a neat concept, but I'd rather hear them play a song or two from each album on the next tour.

Another new Petrucci guitar:

I'm sure this thing plays like a beast, but I'm just not a fan of Petrucci's guitar tone. Too many effects, too much mud and not enough bite on the rhythm, too much delay on the leads. I know that's more of an amp thing, but still.

His tone has gone downhill in the last few years. I hope he returns to some of the better tones he has had. A Nightmare to Remember is a good example of his more kick-ass tones - rhythm at 0:25 and clean at 5:48
The rhythm crunch has tons of gain but also major bite, sounds full and huge. The cleans resonate really deep on the lower strings and shimmer at the top, truly beautiful.

In terms of amps, he has been using the Mark V since Systematic Chaos and now also uses his signature Mesa amp, which is more or less similar to the Mark V. I don't know if he scoops too much mids these days or what, but he had a really good lead tone from A Dramatic Turn up to DT13 where he had switched from the LiquiFire/CrunchLab pickup combo to two Illuminators which made his tone sound colder. I also like his lead sound from Scenes and the rhythm tone on Six Degrees (5:52@The Glass Prison).

Last edited:
His tone has gone downhill in the last few years. I hope he returns to some of the better tones he has had. A Nightmare to Remember is a good example of his more kick-ass tones - rhythm at 0:25 and clean at 5:48
The rhythm crunch has tons of gain but also major bite, sounds full and huge. The cleans resonate really deep on the lower strings and shimmer at the top, truly beautiful.

In terms of amps, he has been using the Mark V since Systematic Chaos and now also uses his signature Mesa amp, which is more or less similar to the Mark V. I don't know if he scoops too much mids these days or what, but he had a really good lead tone from A Dramatic Turn up to DT13 where he had switched from the LiquiFire/CrunchLab pickup combo to two Illuminators which made his tone sound colder. I also like his lead sound from Scenes and the rhythm tone on Six Degrees (5:52@The Glass Prison).

This is probably my favorite DT album.

Black Clouds, you mean? It's top 3 for me as well. :cheers:
Yes. It's great

On a different note: I've been trying to give The Astonishment a proper chance. I've listened to it three times since its release. And it's a great soundscape of music. But it's like a progressive metal equivalent of elevator music. It's good, but leaves little impression. It's there for the duration of your ride.

Yes. It's great

On a different note: I've been trying to give The Astonishment a proper chance. I've listened to it three times since its release. And it's a great soundscape of music. But it's like a progressive metal equivalent of elevator music. It's good, but leaves little impression. It's there for the duration of your ride.

Clouds aren't my Top 3 material, but I still agree with you on both counts. The Astonishing's good and even original and whatever... I just cannot bring myself to return to it very often. I play Three Days or the overtures from time to time, but...

Yeah still can't get into Astonishing. I only like the first overture, A Life Left Behind, and A New Beginning. The rest is just completely a blur, I can't remember anything.

I won't include demos. Another Won and Raise The Knife (which will go with FII) qualify because they appeared on Score.
"Cover My Eyes" and "Speak To Me", in that case, should be included too since they appear on 5YIAL, same for "To Live Forever" (Images in Tokyo).

They only appeared on the VHS release, I don't count those either. To Live Forever was included and was swiftly eliminated.

Back