Dream Theater

Hate to say it as Dream theater are one of my favourite bands but the astonishing is a massive bore to my ears. The story is frankly crap and cheesy which doesn't help as I just can't get invested into it or the characters.

I've had the album since launch and have yet to sit and listen to it in its entirety. Have only managed to listen to it in chunks as after 20 mins or so I have to turn off. Their is some decent music to be found on the album but it's a chore to find it. Too many ballads and even the songs that I wouldn't say are ballads as such have a lot of ballady intros and outros which makes the album sound like the soundtrack to a Disney animated film.

Such a shame as DTOE and the self titled album were both superb. I'm sure the guys will be back on track with the next album.

I do hope they release a blu ray of one of the concerts where they are playing the whole of the astonishing. I'd like to see that as maybe with the full stage show adding visuals to the story and music it might click a bit more with me.

Wouldn't call it a bad thing, I like the Disney sounding stuff. There should have been more.

DT tomorrow! I've listened to The Astonishing a few more times and I'm very excited to see it. Whether or not I love the whole thing I can't wait to experience it in full.

I'm seeing them on Tuesday. Haven't heard the album in 3 months so hopefully I'll hear it with fresh ears.

I'm seeing them on Tuesday. Haven't heard the album in 3 months so hopefully I'll hear it with fresh ears.
I will be there Tuesday as well! I remember when tickets first went on sale, Sinister Minister said he bought a ticket right in front of John Petrucci so maybe he might be there as well (if he's still around) :nuts2:

Amazing show last night. The entire band was on fire, especially Petrucci and LaBrie. I was literally astonished at how good LaBrie sounded. I was expecting a lot of bum notes, a lot of screeching, but he was on point the whole night. Jordan was fantastic and nice to see a mostly subdued/piano-based performance from him. I didn't notice until seeing it live that half the songs on the album start and/or finish with Jordan doing a solo piano piece or underscoring some string section. It's much more apparent live.

Myung was not loud enough for most of the show, unfortunately, but it's not like he's doing anything particularly spectacular for the majority of the album. Mangini was perfect as usual and pretty animated with the faces and wild punching of his cymbals.

SjuSa4G.jpg

IMAGES OF STAGE below, though not anything particularly spoilery I figured I'd hide them in case anyone might object.

doSYYuE.jpg

OTnUWnn.jpg

On the "fake" front, I will say: there are a lot of tracked vocals and they all sound like LaBrie on the album. Most notable was in A Tempting Offer where LaBrie only performs a section as Daryus and tracked LaBrie sings the Arhys parts. Petrucci was singing along to some stuff and it sounded like his mic was on, but every time he sang there were other tracks playing as well. Most often the tracks just played and no one pretended to sing. There were also plenty of automated orchestra parts happening.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me too much. I'm alright with them doing it in support of this album, but definitely not at every future show for songs with far fewer backing vocals.

Highlights were:
- Lord Nafaryus - LaBrie's wickedness and pomp was in great form
- Three Days
- the ridiculously awesome end of A New Beginning
- First 3 songs of Act Two, especially the heaviness and singalong chorus of Moment of Betrayal and the moodiness of Heaven's Cove
- Hymn of a Thousand Voices - James demanded everyone stand, people were clapping along, it was magical
- Our New World - in which everyone remained standing and the energy was through the roof
- All of the ballads worked far better in a live context and felt incredibly powerful, mostly due to Jordan's sparse, beautiful playing.

Overall, it's a great show and I'm very glad I saw it. Makes me appreciate the album even more then I already did. Still not my favorite DT record or show, but it's a worthwhile experience for any DT fan.

Just got my ticket! I'm starting to get pretty pumped for tomorrow, figured it'll be worth it just to hear that mind blowing guitar solo from A New Beginning live. :D

That isn't on the playback recording is it? :ninja:

Just got my ticket! I'm starting to get pretty pumped for tomorrow, figured it'll be worth it just to hear that mind blowing guitar solo from A New Beginning live. :D

That isn't on the playback recording is it? :ninja:

It's an amazing solo and twice as good live!

Of course it is! Petrucci does sing the notes into the mic during the solo though, so at least it looks like he's performing.

There are dozens of Petrucci solos more special to me than the ending of A New Beginning. I don't get the hype for it but I respect your opinion.

In case DT's next album is going to be especially heavy, I think those who dislike The Astonishing for being too light and ballad-filled will learn to appreciate it more in the context of the band's whole discography. I get the feeling that DT need to balance it out, and if they do, it will be a great album run for them and the fans to look back on.

It's certainly not Petrucci's best solo, but the release that happens is incredible. It's the first big groove or jam that actually plays out on The Astonishing and it's very well placed on the album. The power is in the necessity of the solo.

I also agree about the next DT album. Hopefully it will be heavier, songier, and people will eventually look back on this whole string of albums with fondness.

Listened to the album again. I still only like 'A Life Left Behind.'

I'm considering putting it below When Day and Dream Unite..

Dt update #1: smx has not been spotted, but the camera gestapo is on the prowl

I feel honored to see a once in a lifetime show like that. Won't happen again. Visuals, performance, the whole package! I read the review of the London show which said the crowd only gave polite applause between songs. Not in Denver! This crowd was very loud & appreciative between EVERY song.

Denver crowds are usually the worst but they were totally into it this time around.

Back