Dream Theater

in fact, the musical value might have been actually added. There are times I wish Maiden did play back their backing vocals :D (who is it who sings the backing vocals completely off-key live, CIPWM being one of the worst offenders?)
Nah... A live gig is a live gig and I do not mind a few off key vocals.
(And a precize backing track for vocals would be impossible, since the band doesn't play exactly the same (tempo) as in the studio)

What's with all this "fake" talk? Even though some playbacks were used, they are still able to deliver crazy instrumentals in live settings. DT has always been a band striving for "perfection", in contrast to many bands that go for the raw, less polished sound. I am pretty sure that there have been overdubs/playback instances before, in order to get as close to the album versions of the songs as possible. But come on, calling Petrucci/DT a gimmick act because of this.

Cartoon representation of this thread at the moment:

What's with all this "fake" talk? Even though some playbacks were used, they are still able to deliver crazy instrumentals in live settings.

Seriously. DT delivering their instrumentals and playbacking their backing vocals covers way bigger ground from a performance standpoint from some random rock band not faking anything. It shouldn't -and doesn't- make their performances any less good.

Also, you get an album/performance with these gems...

"My wife, she lost her life, she did not survive, she put her hand in a hive and danced a deadly bee jive"

“Music calmed your soul, just like a drug // Remember, Bug?
Father is it true // Bug was always you? // Finally I can reveal, how music makes me feel”

"As his weapon finds its victim // Mortified, he's shocked to find the shadow is Faythe"
(with the accompanying music)

...and they complain about some playbacking? Seriously? :D

Anyone's got to be biased if they do not criticize playback (or anything else).

How so? I already said that I don't give a shit if there's playback if the performance is good/enjoyable. Where's the bias here?

"I disagree, it matters" is fine, but bias?

I don't mean that my norms are better (although I wouldn't be in disagreement with this idea). They are different. I do not tolerate playback in metal concert situations. Anyone who doesn't mind someone acting if they are singing obviously are not that critical.

Last edited:
Never mind.

You youngsters have other norms about live concerts.

I guess that might be it.

1. I'm not all that crazy about concerts in general. I'm not sure the "energy" always makes its worth the sloppiness (and I don't like attending concerts in general, but that's just me)
2. Overdubbing makes it possible for a band to actually surpass the level of Motörhead live.

But in general - did they play their instruments badassily? Yeah, they probably did. Was it them? Who else? So are we really arguing about some Petrucci's "ooohs" that might or might not have been sung by him, played from the tape or a combination of both?

Considering the album itself, I believe everyone attending the concert must have expected there will be a lot of playbacks. It might be one of the reasons the album's not a good choice for the band/the tour, but I don't feel any additional "fakyness" just because of that.

You could say the videos and lights at any concert were also pre-recorded, so those take away from the experience.

This thread went down the drain pretty fast. You can all defend Petrucci but the guy just pretended to sing nice in front of the crowd. That's just pathetic.

Down the drain? No worries, tomorrow all is fine again. ;)

But I agree. A human visually acting as if he is doing something live is something else than only hearing additional music, or choir, which happens indeed very often in the metal scene.

Mosh made an interesting point when he said that Alex Lifeson also playbacks during live gigs. If that's the case, then I do not like that either.

This thread went down the drain pretty fast. You can all defend Petrucci but the guy just pretended to sing nice in front of the crowd. That's just pathetic.

Would it be less pathetic to not even try to match the vocals? I very much doubt that he tried to fool everyone by mimicing some lines, just wanted it to look more realistic with no negative intentions. In the end, it is a minor and nitpicky detail. IMO, Petrucci's exceptionally performed solos far surpass the fact that a few measly lines were made to look real. :whogivesafuck:

Moving on: how dare they not PLAY THE CLASSICS!? :mad::censored::down:

This whole thing is very silly, but it's a breath of fresh air to see more than 20 posts in a row that aren't about a drummer.

You're right, this will not do.

TEH DRUMMER SUX!!! FOOOKIN ROBOT! <3 MIKE <3 IZ DA KING! MANGINI = TECHNICALITY, BUT <3 MIKE <3 = TECHNICALITY + FEELING!!!

MOMENT OF BETRYAL WAS WHEN BEAR-RUCCI AND RUDENESS KICKED <3 MIKE <3 OUT

DREAM THEATER JUMPED THE SHARK WHEN THEY KICKED OUT THE FOUNDING MEMBER AND THE BEST SONGWRITER!

:D

I'm really glad I wasn't a fan/didn't visit the net discussions (if there were any) when Jordan replaced Derek/Derek replaced Moore.

Back