Dream Theater

The Test That Stumped Them All and Solitary Shell are quite good as stand alone tracks, I think. The rest I agree with. Overture, War Inside My Head, About to Crash all sound weird on their own out of context.

I'm going to see DT in two weeks. It's a first. I guess the songs aren't changed much live compared to the studio versions? Haven't really seen much of their live stuff.

What should I expect of the crowd? I assume not as rowdy as a Slayer crowd and perhaps also less energetic than a Maiden crowd? (Now of course, a Maiden crowd during Blood Brothers and the same crowd during The Trooper are two very different things ...)

If it's all standing then everyone will just stand and watch. Make sure you're comfortable shoes!

If you have a seat then it will be a better experience because you can sit down during the instrumentals. :)

I'm going to see DT in two weeks. It's a first. I guess the songs aren't changed much live compared to the studio versions? Haven't really seen much of their live stuff.

What should I expect of the crowd? I assume not as rowdy as a Slayer crowd and perhaps also less energetic than a Maiden crowd? (Now of course, a Maiden crowd during Blood Brothers and the same crowd during The Trooper are two very different things ...)

Awesome, have fun! I've seen DT 3-4 or times, and I can safely that at least 1 of those concerts ranks as one of the best shows I've ever seen!

The crowds are usually incredibly tame, especially if you're used to "metal" audiences. Most of them are probably musicians, and are too busy studying the instrumentation to worrying about getting rowdy. The show I'm going to in April has specifically assigned seats, which means very tame. Half of the DT shows are seated like this. I've been to the standing room shows that have a few rows of chairs at the back and everyone who was standing seemed like they wanted to sit down.

The crowds are usually incredibly tame, especially if you're used to "metal" audiences. Most of them are probably musicians, and are too busy studying the instrumentation to worrying about getting rowdy. The show I'm going to in April has specifically assigned seats, which means very tame. Half of the DT shows are seated like this. I've been to the standing room shows that have a few rows of chairs at the back and everyone who was standing seemed like they wanted to sit down.

Well, I guess it's hard to do intense headbanging or jumping around to ever changing time signatures :D

Can't you count? I thought it would be pretty obvious to you how many times you've seen them. :confused: I know for a fact that I've seen them four times.

Well, I was trying to be upbeat and positive. To be honest, 2 of the Dream Theater shows I've seen were sleep inducing and they tend to blur together in my mind.

The only time I've seen DT live is when they opened for Maiden in 2010. So probably not a representative DT crowd, although there were a lot of DT fans there. Easily the most support for an opening band I've seen.

I guess the songs aren't changed much live compared to the studio versions? Haven't really seen much of their live stuff./quote] It depends I guess. Some songs they'll alter a little, maybe add a jam or something, but for the most part they stick to the studio versions. I haven't seen many live clips on youtube from this tour, but without giving away any setlist spoilers I know that at least one song has been altered a bit.

The only time I've seen DT live is when they opened for Maiden in 2010. So probably not a representative DT crowd, although there were a lot of DT fans there. Easily the most support for an opening band I've seen.

You should have seen the reception Sabaton got from the Stockholm crowd last year. Immense.

The UK hasn't hasn't really had a good support band for Iron Maiden while I've been a fan. :( Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, Airbourne, Dragonforce, Zico Chain and Voodoo Six (who I missed) have opened for them since 2006. I wouldn't have minded being at the shows with Dragonforce and Zico Chain though. Europe got Sabaton, and North America got Megadeth and Dream Theater.::)

Back