Dream of Mirrors

How good is Dream of Mirrors on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A few years ago this was my favourite track from Brave New World and it was actually in my Top 10 for some time. Recently I've found that I don't hold it in such high regard anymore, now Ghost of the Navigator has taken its place as my favourite from the album.

I think the clean verses are brilliant, probably the best use of acoustic guitar in Janicks epics and I really like the way that we get a clean version of the pre chorus before the heavier take later on. It's in the heavier section that I think the song loses its way, it does drag a little and I find the fast "I only dream in black and white" a bit awkward. Great harmonies though, and another great solo from Janick. A nice return to the acoustic section and then we're finished.

What once was a ten is now a respectable eight.

Heard it again today after quite some time. I think that the most annoying thing has to be the drumming after all. Cool melodies though.

Instrumental section is one of their best. Chorus as well. But the verses are not, which is the reason Dream of mirrors only gets 9/10

"Dream of Mirrors" is really strong. Starting heavy before going soft and then building itself back up before exploding into one of Maiden's best choruses ever, it really doesn't let up. Even the faster change-up is good, and my only real complaint is that afterwords the final chorus isn't as good as the first two rounds of it. Still, a really great song. 9

Great opening to the song. The melody with the acoustic guitar is fantastic. The verses are great, but the chorus is better. The highlight of the song is definitely the fast part in the middle with great drumming, melodies, triple-lead guitar harmony and the ''oh-oh'' part. The solo from Janick is good too. Live, the song is better.... ''The dream is true''.... 10/10

According to Dickinson, it is one of Harris's songs
whose lyrics were inspired by his nightmares. According to him
Harris, the lyrics are about the dark side of reality.
In the 1950s, some researchers were led astray
conclusion that man perceives dreams as black and white and not
colored. UC Riverside University Professor of Philosophy, Eric
Schwitzgebel (born 1968, Ph.D., UC Berkeley, 1997), explained the
this phenomenon emphasizing that the references to black and white dreams were
influenced by the black and white images of television receivers of the time.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

10/10

The spiritual successor to Infinite Dreams. Like that song, this one is simply perfect Maiden. It's also the first real Gers/Harris epic and man, it's still my favourite of them. Stupendous chorus - one for the ages.

I dislike a lot all those rhymes with the -ation suffices in the start of the song; expectations, explanation, destination it screws it badly for me. Other-wise the music of the song is very fitting with the subject plus the instrumental part & solo are brilliant.

I rated this song very highly once upon a time. Thats cooled a little over time but above all else the song is still good fun, especially once you hit the fast section. The slow gallop throughout the earlier verses is pretty nice too.

What a monster of a track. This song really showcases how much of a powerhouse the Harris/Gers combination is. I love the song’s slow build. Steve really takes his time getting to the chorus and the payoff is wonderful. Janick’s acoustic guitar is beautiful. The second verse, even though it’s structurally the same as the first, has a really nice build and is just different enough to keep things interesting without feeling forced. Steve’s lyrics are classic Steve. Let’s face it, if you don’t like the musings of someone with severe paranoia and recurring nightmares, you don’t like Maiden.

My only real problem with this song is that I’ve never felt like it quite reaches the same heights of the first half when it goes into double time. The super fast chorus feels awkward and it doesn’t really grab me the way the first half does. However, the melodies (and the woah oh ohs) after that double time chorus are fantastic. Janick also delivers the goods in his solo. More of that please.

Bruce: ''One of the best choruses I think Steve has ever written and of the best lyrics he's ever written too''.

I fully agree with Bruce.

7. Too repetitious to be any higher. Still a great song, but would've been higher if it was slightly trimmed.

The intro is quite noisy, but when we get past it the song gets really, really good. I did like this song better a few years ago though. This is probably Janick's weakest epic, which says a lot about his songwriting skills.

8/10
Agreed.

Back