Dragonforce

Silky said:
(I was bored in the airport, and thought It'd be better than 'Kerrang!', okay?)

This is probably aimed at me because you read my previous posts on what I think about Metal Hammer. ;) I do agree on the fact that DF are now getting a bit too much praise and their style of songwriting is pretty straight-forward once you look past the insane speed of the songs. Since you were mentioning there are other power metal bands around that don't get much attention I was wondering whether you were familiar with the cult US power metal band Manilla Road.

Oh, and just one last pop at Metal Hammer. (Sorry, I simply cannot resist. ;)) They gave the new Summoning album a 3 out of 10 and the new Cannibal Corpse album an 8 out of 10.
laugh.gif
Shows just how much they know about quality.

I read something on another board that Dragonforce are supposed to be on the Winter tour with Maiden. I think that is complete bullshit as it's not on Maiden's website. Is there any substance to this rumour?

Black Dragon said:
This is probably aimed at me because you read my previous posts on what I think about Metal Hammer. ;)

And I agree, after reading it-it's completel garbage.  Worst four quid I spent in my life... :(

Black Dragon said:
I do agree on the fact that DF are now getting a bit too much praise and their style of songwriting is pretty straight-forward once you look past the insane speed of the songs. Since you were mentioning there are other power metal bands around that don't get much attention I was wondering whether you were familiar with the cult US power metal band Manilla Road.

I've heard the name, but none of their stuff.  Wow...they've been around for quite a while!

Black Dragon said:
Oh, and just one last pop at Metal Hammer. (Sorry, I simply cannot resist. ;)) They gave the new Summoning album a 3 out of 10 and the new Cannibal Corpse album an 8 out of 10.
laugh.gif

Well, come on, what do you expect?  Anything that isn't filled with angsty teen riffs/lyrics and commercial hooks  can't get more than a 6.  If a band tries to break the mould, they automatically get shot down as 'fixing something that wasn't broken' by the press. 

Silky said:
Well, come on, what do you expect?  Anything that isn't filled with angsty teen riffs/lyrics and commercial hooks  can't get more than a 6.  If a band tries to break the mould, they automatically get shot down as 'fixing something that wasn't broken' by the press. 

I just get annoyed at the fact that CC get tons of praise for being the best death metal band and so forth. This is completely untrue. All they have done is take the genre to new levels of controversey and commercial success, but what has that got to do with quality? Nothing. I've gone over this before anyway, their technique is derivative of Suffocation. The band I just mentioned there is a much better alternative, get a copy of Pierced From Within or Human Waste if you can. Besides, why do people feel the need to praise CC endlessley when there are much more original death metal bands around like The Chasm and Demigod? Uh oh, I went comletely off-topic again with my diatribe.
theyareontome.gif

Back on topic...I think that ZP's voice has possibly deteriorated or "changed its direction" since Valley Of The Damned. I remeber going in to town the first day that Sonic Firestorm was out and listening to it on my discman on the way home. The major thought that I had was "OMFG wha teh f00k hapned t0 zPs v0ice!!!1111" (except I wasn't a n00b and didn't think or speak like that, it was included for dramatic effect). I could have sworn to you that day DragonForce had gotten a different singer as the change between the first two albums was drastic in my eyes, despite what the inlay card said. I loved ZPs voice on Valley.. but on Sonic... and Imhuman... I've gone off it, it seems too plain and not enough variation is in the songs to show the potential that he has. If I ever choose to listen to the 'Force, its only Valley... as that is the only stand out album really for me, where the songs are all different (or almost). Thank you for wasting your time in such an unproductive manor by reading this -_-

Hunlord said:
Back on topic...I think that ZP's voice has possibly deteriorated or "changed its direction" since Valley Of The Damned. I remeber going in to town the first day that Sonic Firestorm was out and listening to it on my discman on the way home. The major thought that I had was "OMFG wha teh f00k hapned t0 zPs v0ice!!!1111" (except I wasn't a n00b and didn't think or speak like that, it was included for dramatic effect). I could have sworn to you that day DragonForce had gotten a different singer as the change between the first two albums was drastic in my eyes, despite what the inlay card said. I loved ZPs voice on Valley.. but on Sonic... and Imhuman... I've gone off it, it seems too plain and not enough variation is in the songs to show the potential that he has. If I ever choose to listen to the 'Force, its only Valley... as that is the only stand out album really for me, where the songs are all different (or almost). Thank you for wasting your time in such an unproductive manor by reading this -_-

I've changed my mind about DF.  Valley of the Damned is damn near perfect, what with Disciples, Black Fire and the title track.  It's only after that that they realised they could get by on pointless wankery with the minimum songwriting skill.  *sigh* 'How the mightly are fallen'.  Wait a second, they were never mighty in the first place! >:D

[move]I'm glad that you've seen the ligHt[/move]
[move]HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH[/move]
(Sorry, had to try it out)

Black Dragon said:
...and the new Cannibal Corpse album an 8 out of 10.
laugh.gif

That is horrible.  And I'm not laughing.  I'm weeping for all the everyone's ears.  After they listen to that album, their precious ears will be bleeding for a couple days.  I can't believe they would recommened that alb- I mean torture to people.  I'd sue. -_-

On Dragonforce, I like them alot better if a listen to them in small bursts.  I haven't made a new playlist on my computer or mix without one of their songs on it.
"Mmm... This mix is missing somthing... What? Dragonforce? Yes please!"

Maiden Madness said:
On Dragonforce, I like them alot better if a listen to them in small bursts.  I haven't made a new playlist on my computer or mix without one of their songs on it.
"Mmm... This mix is missing somthing... What? Dragonforce? Yes please!"
Have a praise  -_-
I think what you are saying about DF pretty much sums up what everybody else thinks; great in small doses but the repetitiveness gets over the top at times.

Concise ;)

Dragonforce have become very popular recently, having just returned from a sold-out tour of the USA and Australia.

I dont like their direction, they are steadily getting a little worse with each album.

I went to see them at the Astoria in Feb, and it was nowhere near enjoyable as one of their previous gigs, for example Milton Keynes back in 2004. It was full of Metal Hammer kids and I just didn't enjoy it.

So, I finally got around to checking out Inhuman Rampage, it's pretty good although the usual question of musical evolution rears its head again. The only new addition is the use of some black metal style backing vocals, that's it really. But I'm not complaing, after all, I picked it cheap so I'm happy. Also, has anybody checked out the secret side project of Dragonforce known Shadow Warriors? Here's the website Well, give it a try already. ;)

The_7th_Son said:
I went to see them at the Astoria in Feb, and it was nowhere near enjoyable as one of their previous gigs, for example Milton Keynes back in 2004. It was full of Metal Hammer kids and I just didn't enjoy it.
Most people (including myself) have expressed opinions of basically the same sentiment. The band seem to be too popular with the children for our own good. If it was possible that there could be two separate gigs, one for the proper fans and one for the kids, I think many people will be MUCH happier. Not going to happen, but I can dream. And they don't play any of the new stuff, just Valley Of The Damned. And the band becomes my best friends and we go on merry picnics together on a warm summer's day :p

Black Dragon said:
So, I finally got around to checking out Inhuman Rampage, it's pretty good although the usual question of musical evolution rears its head again. The only new addition is the use of some black metal style backing vocals, that's it really. But I'm not complaing, after all, I picked it cheap so I'm happy. Also, has anybody checked out the secret side project of Dragonforce known Shadow Warriors? Here's the website Well, give it a try already. ;)

Hmmm I obviously did not hear of these black metal vocals.  I might pick up that album then...if I can actually listen to more than three songs before throwing something at the CD player yelling 'CHANGE THE TEMPO/KEY/STYLE/MODE/CHORDS/LYRICS ALREADY!' ;)

There aren't any black metal vocals at all on that album.  They are labelled as "extreme metal" but this seems to be more down to the blast beats than the vocals. At times though, the backing can be a bit "rough" but I wouldn't call them black metal ;)

Hunlord said:
Most people (including myself) have expressed opinions of basically the same sentiment. The band seem to be too popular with the children for our own good.

You're right! They aren't tr00 to the kvlt of kriegness anymore! >:[ We will excommunicate Dragonforce for their popularity while we sit in the forests at midnight listening to Moonblood...while staring at the moon. >:[

Black Dragon said:
You're right! They aren't tr00 to the kvlt of kriegness anymore! >:[ We will excommunicate Dragonforce for their popularity while we sit in the forests at midnight listening to Moonblood...while staring at the moon. >:[
t00 right, my necrophagistic companion, I shall draw up the excommunication papers and send them to you when the moon burns red on the eve of the coma of burning souls. So Friday night then. >:[

Hunlord said:
t00 right, my necrophagistic companion, I shall draw up the excommunication papers and send them to you when the moon burns red on the eve of the coma of burning souls. So Friday night then. >:[

DRAW!?  And you call yourself gr1m!  You must invoke the blasphemous souls of a thousand sinners to writhe on the paper and write it IN THEIR OWN BLOOD.  At night and in the black forest of AZZZZZGGGHHHHHYYY, of course.

...so, like you said, next friday ;)

Gah.  Completely off-topic.

Ummm...[think, Silky, think!]....DragonForce, eh? :help:

To get back on topic, I'll give my opinion on Dragonforce.

This band is a pain to listen to. The sheer speed of their songs completely kills any melody that might be there and make listening to more than half a song in one go a dreadful experience. They may be fast and technical, but I really think that Wank-Metal simply isn't my cup of tea.

That was my twopence...  :innocent:

Back