Different World

How good is Different World on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A strong uptempo riff kicks into a great verse with a classic chord progression. Bruce strains a bit in places. The pre-chorus dips lower on the melody, which is kind of neat, though this section isn't as strong as the soaring chorus that follows.

A brief harmonized interlude leads into an excellent solo from Adrian, then another round of pre-chorus and chorus before closing out on the opening riff.

The performance on this track isn't quite as tight as it should be (the rhythm seems a bit loose), and Bruce isn't in top form, which drags this down a little. What's here is still pretty great, though, and I think it hangs onto an 8/10.

Starting with a Nicko "Ayee!" before plunging into a great modern-day Maiden riff, "Different World" opens the album on a very strong note. Featuring some great singing from Bruce, unassuming yet great lyrics, and a fantastic chorus and instrumental section, this song may be the shortest on its album, but my god is it also one of the best. While it takes its song structure from "Rainmaker", it also manages to top that song at the same time. ;tldr I love this song. 10

8/10. A solid opening track, with a good chorus, good verses, and a good solo. It's the third best opening track from the modern lineup, if you ask me. Third may not seem great, but there is a massive gap between 3 & 4. It's more than just a generic fast opening song (*cough* Wildest Dreams) and fits the theme of the album well.

Fantastic song (and single) - one of the best from the album. Great opener. Awesome riff, drums (like on the whole album) and lyrics. Great verses, fantastic pre-chorus and the chorus is very good. The solo from Adrian is awesome (one of his best imo). Great harmonies. Overall, a very melodic song. Everything is perfect. I hope it will return some day to the setlist. 10/10

A song starts with Nicko. It's got melodies and a low and high vocal by Bruce. He sings it well, and I like Bruce. I write him a letter to congratulate him on his vocal prowess.

When I first listened to this song back in 2006 when we were all up in here anticipating the new album, my first thought was "oh wow, another upbeat grab life by the balls tune haven't heard that before" and while I enjoyed it, it didn't grab me. It wasn't until months after the album came out that I took another listen to the whole album, and realized that this might be Bruce's single best vocal performance on any studio album ever. He is effortlessly plucking the highest of notes right out of the air, and doesn't sound nearly as strained as on Dance of Death.

When I first listened to this song back in 2006 when we were all up in here anticipating the new album, my first thought was "oh wow, another upbeat grab life by the balls tune haven't heard that before" and while I enjoyed it, it didn't grab me.
I think I’ve brought it up before but I love the similarities between “Wildest Dreams” and “Different World”, and also how they differ from each other. Both are upbeat songs, or at least initially, because “Different World” ends on some dark notes that segue well with the rest of the album that follows. Also interesting how it recycles the structure of “Rainmaker” (verse, chorus, post chorus, chorus, solo, chorus, post chorus) and yet sounds incredibly fresh and exciting all the same. I mean this is easily one of my favorite Maiden songs (well, at least somewhere in my Top 40) and everything about it is just... really really good, but there were definitely some ideas reused, although to great effect and better than the songs it took them from IMO.

According to Harris, the lyrics of the song deal with how
each person interprets reality in a unique way, which
is shaped by his experiences and character. Although with a first
appreciation the theme of the lyrics does not seem to tie in with the general
album theme, the collective awareness of its relevance
perception of reality is the basis for any effort
of humanity to reduce war conflicts.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

Nothing too wrong with the song but it seems to be less inspired in this great record. The sort of let’s do a short rocker for opener.

Last edited:

I like Different World. It's a fun, no nonsense rocker with an interesting chorus and decent solo sections. I find that it's a lot more upbeat than the rest of the album, and might fit better in the middle, but it works as an opener nonetheless.

10 - my highest rated AMOLAD song and only 10 althrough I will be spreading out my votes so I'm confident AMOLAD will rank very highly relative to others.

Top track throughout, and very effective as an opener of this album, with its contrast. No bloat anywhere to be found.

9 - It’s hard to buy into the meme that post-reunion Maiden can‘t do short, fast rockers when songs
like this exist. Lean, economical and so, so tightly played, this is a textbook example lesson what a “classic metal” single should sound like.

Adrian’s riff is a nice hook, judiciously used, and his chord sequences provide a nice bedrock for a melody that nicely fits the “bruised-but-wiser” tone of the lyrics. Bruce is nestled exactly where he should be in the mix and I love the contrast between the calmer, lower delivery of the pre-chorus and the more desperate tones of the chorus.

But what elevates this for me is the rhythm section. Steve is a taut bullet train with Nicko bouncing off him like oil sprinkled on a hot skillet. Love the little cymbal patterns throughout the chorus and pre-chorus and the little fill reverses that recall the up-and-down of the main riff.

The way the harmony section doubles then springboards into one of my favourite guitar solos ever is an all-time Maiden moment.

Not a wasted note. Fantastic, underrated song.

(8.9)

6/10

Decent song, although it's merely another textbook opening short rocker. It does its job well but generally in the sphere of the album, I would say these kinds of songs sorta fade away since they're not very related to the album's core. The idea of having Mars, the Bringer of War lead into this mostly upbeat song is henceforth a little farfetched when it comes to this song being performed live - but I suppose that Holst piece represents the album as a whole instead.

(Granted, they also used the piece to open the 2010 tour when they opened with The Wicker Man, so maybe that's a weak point...?)

Back