Different World

How good is Different World on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

You lead me on the path
      Keep showing me the way
      I feel a little lost
      A little strange today

I think I'll take a hold
      Of whatever comes my way
      Then we'll see what happens
      Take it day by day

I thought I had it all
      I had it all worked out
      Just what my future held
      That there would be no doubt

But then the card came up
      And I took another turn
      But I don't know if it's
      Fulfilment that I yearn

Tell me what you can hear
            And then tell me what you see
            Everybody has a different way
            To view the world

I would like you to know
            When you see the simple things
            To appreciate this life
            It's not too late to learn

Don't want to be here
      Somewhere I'd rather be
      But when I get there
      I might find it's not for me

To view the world

I would like you to know
            To appreciate this life

(2:41 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

To view the world

I would like you to know
            To appreciate this life

Don't want to be here
      Somewhere I'd rather be
      But when I get there

Don't know what I want
      Or where I want to be
      I'm feeling more confused
      The more the days go by

Discuss...

Re: 'Different World'

What Perun? No long rant about how we should "seize the day"? Aren't you bored enough?  :p

actually i feel this is less about "seizing the day" (in the sense that wildest dreams was) - it's more about dealing with one's insecurities. the protagonist wants to try new things, but he's not sure if it's the right thing to do.
this ambiguity adds to the song in my opinion, it gives it a new dimension.

Maybe it's simply a comment on the myriad of choices we are faced with every hour of ever day? Especially the last phrase of the song:
"Don't know what I want
Or where I want to be
The more the days go by
"

It's difficult sometimes these days as nothing seems to be as straighforward, black-and-white, as it was maybe 20 years ago. This can create frustration and that's partially what I get from this song, the frustration in every-day life.

Incidentally, the song grows and grows and grows...probably the best opener ever, in my opinion.

Steve Harris interview in Spanish Metal Hammer
Q: It is quite sure that the fans might frown and not like the album on the first listen Why is it so dark?

Steve: Everybody has a different way to see things. We have been doing interviews the whole week and some of us went to Japan to do promo last week and everybody has a different idea of what they think this album means. Right now I have been interviewed by 3 Spanish journalists and all of you have found it a ark one. Previously just 2 journalists have mentioned it. However, it really goes on well with the opening track. ‘Different world’ talks about the different perspectives that people see things with. I think that the record has more hope than darkness, with a huge progressive feel. It’s quite epic. We have more long songs than ever and don’t ask me why, as we never plan these things. I usually call the guys…

translation courtesy of GhostOfCain

gor said:
Steve Harris interview in Spanish Metal Hammer
Q: It is quite sure that the fans might frown and not like the album on the first listen Why is it so dark?

Steve: Everybody has a different way to see things. We have been doing interviews the whole week and some of us went to Japan to do promo last week and everybody has a different idea of what they think this album means. Right now I have been interviewed by 3 Spanish journalists and all of you have found it a ark one. Previously just 2 journalists have mentioned it. However, it really goes on well with the opening track. ‘Different world’ talks about the different perspectives that people see things with. I think that the record has more hope than darkness, with a huge progressive feel. It’s quite epic. We have more long songs than ever and don’t ask me why, as we never plan these things. I usually call the guys…

translation courtesy of GhostOfCain

Thanks, gor.  This is what I imagined this song to be discussing...perception.  Not everything is black and white, and we all have different viewpoints on different things.  To get your point across, you have to say what you see, and what you feel.  It also looks at the thought that sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side...you have to make up your own mind of where you want to be, and do it yourself.

This song explores a couple of very interesting things. Certainly, the theme is not new, especially not for a heavy metal song (take, to name but one example, You've Got Another Thing Coming by Judas Priest), but I think this one is very mature at its topic. Basically, the message is once again that we should make the best of our lives, do what we feel is right and not let others tell us what to do... we know it. However, there are two more things to it.

First of all, the song explains that it is impossible for anyone to transfer his or her view of things on other people. We like to judge people by comparing their deeds to ours while taking our own ideals to be the correct ones. That is nonsense, because everybody has a different background and, in a way, lives in a different world. People have different social or cultural backgrounds, and they have made different experiences. You can't lead their lives with yourself as the role model simply because everybody has a different life. Some people stand at thirty where others stood at twenty and vice versa; some people made experiences that deeply formed their character which others haven't.

The other thing this song points out is that when we are unhappy with our situation, we crave for different conditions. We don't like the place we live in- we want to move away. We hate the job we have- we want a new one. In the end, it often happens that we break out of these conditions, move to a whole new place, start a whole new life and in the end, it turns out it's not better -perhaps even worse- than the life we led before. Funnily enough, we start craving for the old life we led and were unhappy with, now viewing it in a new light and starting to think "Hey, it wasn't all that bad..."

The ideal thing is to be careful what wish for. Don't ask for anything you're not prepared for getting. I suppose everybody has made these experiences and looks back now wondering how they could have been so stupid, and regretting not to see obvious hints. Many people draw the conclusion that we should be happy with the lives we have and stay on the path they are on. Is that the right thing to do? Of course it depends on our point of view, but in the end, we can never know how things turn out if we don't try them. Just because we have had many failed attempts in our past does not mean everything must fail. Besides, failed attempts make us appreciate our lives more (it is never too late to learn that) and successful ones make things better for us- if you're positive enough, there will always be a win-win situation. Or, as a certain lyricist once put it:

Wherever you turn, wherever you go
If you get it wrong, at least you can know
Theres miles and miles to put it back together

To me the chorus is obviously about appreciating the different points of view people have.  I like Perun's explanation.  A new job is a good example or other life-changing events like marriage, moving to another city/country could work as specifics for this song.  These two verses are relevant to show that:

I thought I had it all
      I had it all worked out
      Just what my future held

And I took another turn
      But I don't know if it's
      Fulfilment that I yearn

So the song seems to be talking about an event where the character turns over a new leaf so to speak.  He thought that he knew what would happen in the future, but the future surprized him.  Also it seems that there is little free will in the matter -- "the card came up" but the character is thinking that he's just following his yearnings/fulfillments.

If this whole CD's theme is about war and a soldier's experience of it, then perhaps this song could be viewed as a person's life being altered by joining a war.  Though there does not seem to be any indication that war is the life-altering change.

Growing up, is the way I see this.

You lead me on the path
Keep showing me the way
I feel a little lost
A little strange today

As a young child your parents are your guidance and it is at this time you are so reliant on them.

I think I'll take a hold
Of whatever comes my way
Take it day by day

Now this person takes control of his/her life. Maybe they have entered teenage years and have this bit of arrogance about them. What happens, happens type attitude.

I thought I had it all
I had it all worked out
Just what my future held

As a young adult (maybe mid-late twenties), this person now sees that maybe, just maybe they should have thought a little bit about how they needed to pan their life out. Could be stuck in a job they don't want to do and aimlessly going nowhere. The problem may have stemmed from the teenage years where the "taking it day by day" approach has failed them. It is this stage in life that a couple of lines from Time by Pink Floyd are so relevant

Then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

You missed the starting gun, alright.

And I took another turn
But I don't know if it's
Fulfilment that I yearn

However, their card came up in the shape of new hope, a new direction. This, they have taken. But is it because there was a better way away from this nothingness of a life. This is why they question if it it is just fulfilment. There are times when you get stuck in a situation and you don't have the motivation or the need to move on - a bit like getting into a comfortable bed. Easy to get into, hard to get out of.

Of course we all have "different ways to view the world". Some may see the life (s)he had differently and would have reacted (had it been them) differently.

I must say that I like Albie's interpretation.  For me the song is a good rocker,  ideal for the radio,  the lyrics are great following the optimism of Wildest Dreams,  so it has it all.  I can't say it feels "new" though...  But that is not a problem for me at least.

Perun said:
....but in the end, we can never know how things turn out if we don't try them.
This bit reminds me of a British writer called Danny Wallace who wrote a book called "Yes Man". The basis of the book was that he spent a year saying "yes" to everything. And by saying yes, made his life more positive - as it would.

Albie said:
This bit reminds me of a British writer called Danny Wallace who wrote a book called "Yes Man". The basis of the book was that he spent a year saying "yes" to everything. And by saying yes, made his life more positive - as it would.

Well, if he said yes to drugs for a year, he would be a happy chappie, wouldn't he? :D

I've had another opinion about the possible meaning of this song, at least the way it sounds to me.  It is a sort of a combination of Albie's, Maverick's and mine prior posts.

Maverick said:
      You lead me on the path
      Keep showing me the way
      I feel a little lost
      A little strange today   

The ones showing the path could be teachers who are trying to motivate a young mind to seize the day.

Maverick said:
      I think I'll take a hold
      Of whatever comes my way
      Take it day by day

The young student, however, does not wish to spend much time on planning his life and the thinking this requires.  S/he would rather live a more carefree life, taking it easy, taking it day by day; come whatever may.

Maverick said:
      I thought I had it all
      I had it all worked out
      Just what my future held

And I took another turn
      But I don't know if it's
      Fulfilment that I yearn

The young learner thought this short-sided way would work through life, but s/he learns that idea was wrong.  So when the card came up, or rather when s/he grew up, a new choice needed to be made.  Going further through school requires us all to decide what we wish to be in life.  Many of us change our focus of study in college for various reasons.  It is often hard to see which line of work will give us the best fulfilment.  College is often a point in life when we all have to grow up.  Do we dare take a line of study that may or may not lead to happiness or do we continue a comforable carefree life that does not require as many commitments?  Like Albie said, once we find a comfortable bed it is hard to get out of it.

Maverick said:

To view the world

I would like you to know
            To appreciate this life

The chorus is essentially stating that no matter which educational path/line of work you pursue, it is all appropriate depending on one's view of the world.  This view can be shaped by many things, like one's upbringing, heritage, etc.  It is also important to learn to respect the differences in the choices mentioned above.

Maverick said:
      Don't want to be here
      Somewhere I'd rather be
      But when I get there

Don't know what I want
      Or where I want to be
      The more the days go by

Then again we take an education path that we later reject.  Perhaps it is not what we thought it would be.  Was it too hard?  Uninteresting?  Thankless?  Whatever the reason we find that this line of work is not for us.  We are yet unsure of what we wish to be.  We are getting older, and the days go by...  There is confusion as we feel we should know what path we should be on. 
Nevertheless, as the chorus tells us we should learn from this and appreciate what we've learned.  Seize the day, again!  So the future was not what we'd thought it'd be.  If we are unsure about our education/work can we reach fulfilment?  There is a certain cycle in this.  We change again to someting new and try again.

Genghis Khan said:
I've had another opinion about the possible meaning of this song, at least the way it sounds to me.  It is a sort of a combination of Albie's, Maverick's and mine prior posts.
This is one of the things about this track as oppose to most of the others - it's not based on a particular event in history or indeed on something that happens to us all (i.e. birth). Thus it can be interpreted in many different ways.

I must admit the interpretation I gave was loosely based on personal experiences. As a teenager all my Dad kept telling me was "no-one owes you a living" because I just drifted along aimlessly - I wanted the world to come to me (how foolish is that?). Without looking to the future, I found myself drifting into the catering business - which some may say is a great career, but not me. I really did not want to be flipping burgers over a hot grill for the rest of my days and that is how it was looking. Yes, it paid the bills and put food on the table, but that was not enough.

So my fortune changed when I got myself a job in IT (although I did have to undertake some Open University studying to further my basic IT knowledge "It's not too late to learn"). Now, I'm happy with my job for the first time - ever.

The quote of the Pink Floyd lyric (from Time) is possibly the most apt lyric of any song for how I felt when I was stuck in a job I did not want. I really think the lyrics to Time have so much meaning for people in their late twenties/early thirties that were in that same position.

A "sneak preview" of the new video can be seen on the website now.  I must say that it looks hilarious.  Why didn't they learn their lesson after "Wildest Dreams" and "Angel and the Gambler"? :huh:

Don't know what's special about that; it's the same video as found on the AMOLAD bonus DVD.

MadMax said:
Don't know what's special about that; it's the same video as found on the AMOLAD bonus DVD.
That's what he means by limited video I think  ;).  Since the AMOLAD dvd was a special limited edtion.

Well, in that sense its special. But it's not the one I think the majority of this forum is waiting for. ;)

Natalie said:
Well, in that sense its special. But it's not the one I think the majority of this forum is waiting for. ;)

In lack of pie, you will have to eat crumbles.

That's the only reply you will get.

:p

Back