Different World

How good is Different World on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Different World

'Different World' has a great chorus and a nice guitar solo. It's worth a 9/10 in my book.

It's similar to Wildest Dreams, but also far better.  More interesting riff, a great melodic chorus, that great Thin Lizzy harmony section (where the melody is a bit too similar to Face in in the Sand for my liking but it's still good), and an amazingly tasteful solo by Adrian.  Of the 4 openers since the return of Bruce and Adrian this is second after Wicker Man to me.  It also served as a good opener even if Bruce couldn't quite nail the chorus.

8/10 from me, good song and one of my favorites on an album a bit overloaded with epics.

And on with my 6th favorite Maiden album!

I like this one - short, but really good powerhouse! Better opener than Wildest Dreams IMO.

I like this one better than Wildest Dreams, good vocals and a solid rocker to open the album.  Not as good as Wicker Man, still good.  I give it a solid 7.

Looking at the openers of this line-up: just like the previous and the next opener, this song also does not have the level of their first effort (The Wicker Man). I find the pre-chorus a bit difficult with its low speech style vocals, but the chorus itself shines and is naturally a step up from Wildest Dreams.

Something about this song really embodies the reunion for me - maybe it's the catchiness, the short rocker finally done right (hell, they spent a whole album (FOTD) trying to get it right and failing miserably), the lack of repetition as on Wicker Man, the vocal versatility of Bruce, the sentiment... to me, this song is pure Maiden, 2000s era. And it's not as straight ahead as others may think... it really gets me going, and that's why I think it would be perfect as a set-opener. And the chorus, well, that appeals to anyone - teenagers that hate the world, person stuck in a bad job, living in a dead-end town, in a bad marriage, etc. And the "twist" ending, I don't know what I like but I don't like this... well, I think it's lyrically and musically... what's the term.... AWESOME. Not every epic song needs to be 13 minutes long  :D

Great opener and arguably Maiden's heaviest opening riff since be quick or be dead. I hear some really interesting guitarwork during this riff but unfortunately it is way too low in the mix. Fantastic chorus and solo.

I'm giving this a 6 for the same reason I gave Wildest Dreams a 6. As far as I'm concerned, they are pretty much the same song.

8/10... A good rocker, but easy to overlook in comparison to the rest of the album. I agree that the band might have played it a little too safe with this tune, but I still listen to it a lot, because as a rule, I play AMOLAD from start to finish every time. I've always liked the guitars on this one...

8. Really catchy, straight to the point with a great pre chorus and chorus, and a fabulous H solo. :edmetal:

I seem to like straightahead rock songs better than most of you guys and as far as straightahead rockers go, this is as good as its gets. Catchy riff, nice chorus and pre-chorus, but it’s the tight rhythm section groove and stellar Adrian solo that elevate it. I can watch the live-in-the-studio video again and again — I just love the way it captures my band at work at its craft. Nine.
After reading the other comments, I'm inclined to suggest it may be riskier for Maiden in some ways to attempt a good hooky rock song simply because there is a formula and a fan base that expects the band to avoid it.
Their chances of being considered bland and unexceptional are higher if they don't nail it — I submit Wildest Dreams as exhibit A.
Think about this: Isn't formula for post-reunion Maiden the extended slow-then-fast-then-instrumental-then-slow epic (FTGGOG, No More Lies, Brave New World, The Longest Day, Dance of Death, Dream of Mirrors etc...)?
In that context, is it fair to slag Different World for being formulaic when the only Maiden songs that fit that formula in the reunion era are Wildest Dreams, The Wickerman, New Frontier and The Final Frontier (minus Satellite 15)?
The Wickerman is a deserving classic, but its status is helped because it was exactly what the fan base craved in 2000 — something that brought them back to Aces High and Wasted Years.
I think Different World is nearly as good, but its rating is reduced somewhat because expectations had changed and because of the different texture of that particular album.
No, it doesn't sound like the rest of AMOLAD. Thank God for they had the courage to add some variety.

Well, mckindog, I made my post, because I am interested in comparing Maiden's openers of this century. But there's more. I wrote this on 9 September 2008, voicing my expectations for the next album (which now has become TFF):

-------
... Personally, I certainly hope that Maiden will stick to the long songs (can’t get enough of it to be honest). Many bands with a long career have difficulties with writing strong shorter songs (e.g. less than 6 or 5 minutes) and Maiden is no exception.

It proves that it’s difficult to make a soup with less ingredients (in the form of time). The longer the songs, the more ingredients Maiden can add.

When AMOLAD came out I was surprised to see that the album had a longer average song length than My Dying Bride’s latest album. MDB are famous for their long songs so this was quite remarkable! ...

and in later posts in the same topic:

...One "pretty good" short song is nothing compared with the pre-2000 era, and especially the 80's.
If they're going for short songs again I really hope they'll come up with something completely new, and not a The Wicker man-Wildest Dreams-Different World part 4. In other words: I hope that Adrian won't contribute to the opening track, he's better in longer songs, since he has rejoined the band....

...Hm to be honest I haven't much statistics but I'll think about it. I could be wrong. But not when it comes to Maiden, at least. Al the popular songs of the last three albums are longer tracks, apart from Rainmaker and perhaps The Wicker Man. On older albums, way more short songs are often as popular as the longer ones....

In hindsight: funny because Adrian did contribute again to the opening track, but I still don't find it as good as TWM. However, I do like the different path that was chosen!

...the shorter songs from the pre-2000 era are way more popular (or "better") than most recent shorter songs...
------

That's how I look at it. Maiden has done many strong short(er) songs in the past, it's difficult for them to reach that level, when they want to put interesting things in a short period of time.

However, Maiden has surprised me with the last album, because you'll see that I'll give a much higher grade for The Alchemist, simply because I find it better. I admit that in some parts The Alchemist reminds us of Man on the Edge, but it still has a fantastic melodic vibe. I'll get more into that when that song arrives.

Bottom line: I try to judge every song on its own, short and long, but naturally I do compare with other songs. I still think Maiden prefers to write longer songs, just look at the songlengths of TFF. That's a wise choice, because -with the exception of Rainmaker and The Alchemist- it has been a while since they did it as well as in the past.

The Wicker Man is imo not as good as most previous openers. It's good, but I find most previous openers at least as good or better, with the exception of Moonchild and Where Eagles Dare.

Please take this into consideration: It's not that I judge short songs more critical than long songs. On the contrary, if I see monotone, repetitive, unimaginative parts in long(er) songs, or when I miss strong melodies, I mention this in my posts.

mckindog said:
I seem to like straightahead rock songs better than most of you guys and as far as straightahead rockers go

We'll see. Actually, thanks for this input, I think I'll make a statistic to see how people have judged songs by songlength. Even though members might not be busy with this consciously, when they vote, it's still interesting to see what may come out.

When I first heard this track, I didn't really like it at all. I thought it was just a bit too "there for the sake of having a rocker".

It started to grow on me somewhat over the years so much so that I hovered over the 7 and 8 for a while - and ended up with 7.

Personally I think the comparisons with Wildest Dreams are massively unjust. Yes they have a similar structure and length. Yes the lyrics reflect on life however Different Worlds lyrics are a level above Wildest Dreams. Otherwise Different World is infinitely better than Wildest Dreams. Bruce's vocal melodies are one of my favourite things about this song, they're excellent. The solo is also excellent, I remember when I listened to AMoLaD to the first time and I'd only heard Somewhere Back In Time (80's Maiden) so initially Bruce's lower pre-chorus vocals caught me out but he soars again in the chorus. The solo is excellent and leads back into the song very nicely. I love the ending "don't know what I want, or where I want to be" before the great riff finishes it off.

I've always felt that a lot of the criticism for this song is based on the fact that it's apparently like Wildest Dreams but it's a much better song than that. A definite 8, maybe a 9.

I give it 9.

Jonszat said:
Personally I think the comparisons with Wildest Dreams are massively unjust. Yes they have a similar structure and length. Yes the lyrics reflect on life however Different Worlds lyrics are a level above Wildest Dreams. Otherwise Different World is infinitely better than Wildest Dreams.

I've always felt that a lot of the criticism for this song is based on the fact that it's apparently like Wildest Dreams but it's a much better song than that.
I completely agree :cheers:

Jonszat said:
Yes they have a similar structure and length. Yes the lyrics reflect on life however Different Worlds lyrics are a level above Wildest Dreams. Otherwise Different World is infinitely better than Wildest Dreams.

I agree with this part.

Yes, this song is better than Wildest Dreams. Yes they have similar structure and length. On top of that it was again co-penned by Adrian Smith, and this is again an opening track which aims to be a fast and short rocker.
The song is a continuation of a pattern Maiden repeats. I don't see why these similarities don't lead to comparisons for some members here.

At the same time I also compare with other songs from this album and I try to judge this song on its own merits. My overall conclusion is that I fail to see what's so special to give it a grade above 7. It's not a weak song, it's decent. But in comparison with countless of other Maiden songs I find it somewhat uninspired and unoriginal. And due to the great quality of the remainder of the album I think AMOLAD wouldn't have suffered or would even have benefited if the band would have left it off, also when I take the album's length into consideration, and when I put quality over quantity.

I don't compare this song to Wildest Dreams at all, I feel its in the same field as The Wicker Man and Rainmaker.

Back