Did Bruce take inspiration for the Powerslave melody from Ritchie Blackmore?

Operations666

Educated Fool
When it comes to rock music, Maiden is #1. However I also love other artists, including Ritchie Blackmore, especially his Dio-era Rainbow work. I honestly never paid much attention to post-Dio Rainbow, as I considered it too poppy and commercial. I'm familiar with the big radio hits, but I never listened to the albums.

I was reading some commentary on Rainbow songs in another forum, and someone claimed that Bruce Dickinson ripped off the melody for Powerslave from the Joe Lynn Turner-era Rainbow song "Eyes of Fire", which I had never heard. I listened to it, and, ummm, yeah... maybe it's true... Take a listen:

What do you think?

P.S. I know I said I wouldn't post here again, but it's proving impossible. I love Maiden too much not to discuss them with fellow fans..

it's probably based around the same eastern scale alright, not sure that counts as a rip off anymore than other melodies that are based on similar scales. It probably stands out a bit more because such eastern scales are rare enough in rock music.

If Bruce was inspired by a Rainbow song it would be Gates of Babylon and not this.

it's probably based around the same eastern scale alright, not sure that counts as a rip off anymore than other melodies that are based on similar scales. It probably stands out a bit more because such eastern scales are rare enough in rock music.

This. Here's a video that gives you a little bit of an impression of what's happening:

I wouldn't say it's a rip-off, just kinda similar. Never heard that song before now though, I dig it. :yes:

Ritchie Blackmore kicks so much ass. Yes, he's a very weird guy. But in my opinion he's the greatest rock guitarist ever. He has incredible feel, mixing blues and classical styles. His solos always sound so.. seductive.

I didn't really hear anything in that song that resembled anything from Powerslave. You could argue maybe just a bit of inspiration, but there's no way it was ripped off.

I didn't really hear anything in that song that resembled anything from Powerslave. You could argue maybe just a bit of inspiration, but there's no way it was ripped off.

Ripped off is probably too strong. But the close similarities are definitively there. Surprised that you don’t hear it. Listen to the opening riff. It’s very close to Powerslave.

I guess we are talking about the pre-chorus in Powerslave. Dave's part. It goes a little different. Different order.

Last edited:
P.S. I know I said I wouldn't post here again, but it's proving impossible. I love Maiden too much not to discuss them with fellow fans..
eFFcyZaR_400x400.jpg

Baphomet Eddie says, "Welcome back! It's nice and warm next to the fire!"

:innocent:

Back