Di'Anno & Bayley to perform only Maiden songs

hmm...

I'm fairly certain that I once (or twice) heard Paul complain
about how much he dislikes performing Maiden tunes.

Well, I suppose there ARE bills to be paid after all.

http://www.hardlinemedia.net/

Hardline Media proudly presents Paul Di’Anno and Blaze Bayley – former vocalists of Iron Maiden – performing together for the first time ever in Australia and New Zealand. In a world exclusive, for their 2012 co-headlining sets, both singers will be belting out only Iron Maiden songs – classic tracks from their respective albums with one of the biggest heavy metal bands in the world. This promises to be a must-see event for any fan of Iron Maiden and heavy metal!

The tour will also mark Blaze Bayley’s first time Down Under, taking himself and Di’Anno all across Australia (including regional NSW dates) and New Zealand in late November/early December. While Di’Anno has successfully toured Australasian shores previously, it will be his first performing solely Iron Maiden songs.

Both artists have released a wealth of their own successful solo material, but as a special treat for ‘Maiden’ fans, to make this tour special they have agreed to only perform Iron Maiden tracks. This means that punters can expect to hear Di’Anno-era classics such as ‘Phantom Of The Opera’, ‘Wrathchild’, ‘Running Free’, ‘Sanctuary’, and ‘Killers’, along with classic Blaze-era cuts such as ‘Sign Of The Cross’, ‘Futureal’, ‘Lord Of The Flies’, ‘Man On The Edge’, and many more. The majority of these songs are hardly ever played live anymore by Iron Maiden, so fans will have the rare opportunity to hear them performed by the legendary vocalists who first recorded them.

This will be a dual headlining tour – whoever goes on last each night will be determined by the toss of a coin before the show. Fans are encouraged to get there early so as not to miss a minute of this special event.

Iron Maiden are one of the biggest names in heavy metal and the music industry as a whole. As leaders of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal movement in the early eighties, they would go on to become one of the biggest and most successful heavy metal bands of all time, influencing countless acts that followed and selling over 100 million records worldwide. As the original singer of Iron Maiden, Paul Di’Anno’s unique and aggressive vocals featured on their first two ground-breaking albums – the self-titled debut (1980) and its follow-up ‘Killers’ (1981). Both releases are widely regarded as classics and have sold more than 20 million copies worldwide. When Di’Anno’s successor Bruce Dickinson left Iron Maiden in the early nineties, Wolfsbane vocalist Blaze Bayley was selected to front the band out of hundreds who auditioned. Blaze would record two albums with Iron Maiden – 1995’s ‘The X Factor’ and 1998’s ‘Virtual XI’ – helping to ensure Iron Maiden’s prominence during the nineties when heavy metal was at a low point.

Two legendary vocalists together in Australia and New Zealand for the first time performing NOTHING but Iron Maiden (with likely a few surprises – such as sharing songs – thrown in as well). This is a must-see event for all heavy metal and hard rock fans.

* Special, extremely limited VIP tickets are available. These will gain you entry to the show, a VIP laminate, a few goodies, as well as the once in a lifetime chance of meeting both Paul Di’anno and Blaze Bayley before the show – get photos, get stuff signed, have a chat!

I've always wondered --are they technically allowed to sing songs they aren't credited as writing, if the respective right holders (e.g. Steve) prevented them, legally. I know this hasn't/isn't happening, but just curious.

I've always wondered --are they technically allowed to sing songs they aren't credited as writing, if the respective right holders (e.g. Steve) prevented them, legally. I know this hasn't/isn't happening, but just curious.
Don't know about the international rules, but in Canada I'm pretty sure the songwriter is entitled to a pittance in royalties every time one of his or her composition is performed, pretty well anywhere, stage or radio.
How often that is collected is open question.

Meh. Wouldn't mind seeing Blaze Bayley live, if I had absolutely NOTHING else to do or spend the money on. I never was a Paul fan though.

I wouldn't be surprised if these guys are allowed to sing Maiden tunes in return for Maiden not paying them for the times they play shit they wrote live.

Here's how it works in Sweden, and for the most part of the Western world:

You are allowed to play other bands' songs live. But you have to pay performing royalties (the sum is decided, at least in Sweden, on how large the audience is or in the case of TV, you get paid per minute). Most contries have a sort of collecting agency that collects royalties from radio stations, TV-shows, festivals and live shows. They will then redistribute the money to writers and rightsholders (this happens anually). To get paid as a writer you have to enlist with said collecting agency, or else you get squat.

My guess is, that in the case of small shows, the arranger is obligated to report the number of attendances and then the appropriate party (arranger or artist, I dunno) is obligated to transfer funds. The agency keeps close tabs on bigger shows and festivals.

I'd guessed all this was the case. I'm sure it doesn't matter much to Maiden anyway.

LooseCannon --what do Maiden play live that was exclusively written by either Paul or Blaze?

Nothing, because neither man exclusively wrote a song. But Paul contributed lyrics to Killers, which has been played live since then, as was Remember Tomorrow. Blaze has written Futureal and Lord of the Flies...I THINK...that has been played since. Maiden probably just doesn't care.

Indeed.

What I was getting at, I think, was --you can definitely stop people recording or using your music, right? I know this is slightly different to what we're talking about here (live playing). I was just sort-of hypothesizing that if someone wanted to re-release, perhaps re-record, a track they had no part in writing --the person who wrote the song could stop them, couldn't they? I note most bands song credit their songs by individual artist, but some bands do credit (some) songs as by the band itself. And it's interesting how these elements play into things like the ownership of a bands name; or the very band itself e.g. Guns N' Roses, with nobody left but Axl. A band can even live on without any original members.

I wouldn't be surprised if Maiden and Paul/Bruce/Blaze have an agreement where they can all use each other's songs live, as it would be very good financially for the smaller acts, and Maiden doesn't want to break up the set and not play classics and awesome Blaze-written tracks.

Indeed.

What I was getting at, I think, was --you can definitely stop people recording or using your music, right? I know this is slightly different to what we're talking about here (live playing). I was just sort-of hypothesizing that if someone wanted to re-release, perhaps re-record, a track they had no part in writing --the person who wrote the song could stop them, couldn't they? I note most bands song credit their songs by individual artist, but some bands do credit (some) songs as by the band itself. And it's interesting how these elements play into things like the ownership of a bands name; or the very band itself e.g. Guns N' Roses, with nobody left but Axl. A band can even live on without any original members.

There was also a lot of legal stuff going on about the right to use the name Pink Floyd when Waters left. However, I think LC is right when it comes to Maiden and Paul/Bruce/Blaze. After all, 'Arry is a man of common sense. Letting Paul/Blaze sing songs from their respective eras with Maiden is no threat to Maiden's position, and if Paul/Blaze want to be known as tribute acts, it's their own problem. (To be honest, I think Paul Di'Anno has been too much of a tribute act, making the most of his past with Maiden. At the same time he's been talking much shit about Maiden)

As far as I recall from the 8 hour seminar (split into two days) on Music business legislation in school, you are free to cover/record and release other people's songs as long as you don't actually change the lyrics (this is sort of an international standard, so not just Sweden).

Edit: And you will obviously have to explicitly credit the original recording artist.

You will obviously have to pay though.

Nothing, because neither man exclusively wrote a song. But Paul contributed lyrics to Killers, which has been played live since then, as was Remember Tomorrow. Blaze has written Futureal and Lord of the Flies...I THINK...that has been played since. Maiden probably just doesn't care.

Blaze co-wrote Futureal (Harris/Bayley) but not Lord of the Flies (Harris/Gers).
Still, there's another co-Blaze one, which Maiden did in 1999: Man on the Edge (Bayley/Gers).

I'm not aware of any laws against covering songs, only covering them without acknowledging or paying the composer.

Under U.S. and most international copyright laws, you CANNOT publicly perform a song without permission. However, every live music venue (including bars and clubs) should have a blanket license with a copyright society like ASCAP or BMI that would cover almost any song that might be performed. European nations have similar copyright societies, and I would bet my left nut that Australia has one too. So, anyone could get up and perform Maiden songs at a licensed venue -- including Paul and Blaze. If you're in a cover band, ask whether the gig you're playing has a blanket performance license.

Under U.S. and most international copyright laws, you CANNOT publicly perform a song without permission. However, every live music venue (including bars and clubs) should have a blanket license with a copyright society like ASCAP or BMI that would cover almost any song that might be performed. European nations have similar copyright societies, and I would bet my left nut that Australia has one too. So, anyone could get up and perform Maiden songs at a licensed venue -- including Paul and Blaze. If you're in a cover band, ask whether the gig you're playing has a blanket performance license.
So that's how it works. What kind of penalties are there and how is it enforced?
Also, aren't the artists compensated somehow? I hear performers up here talk about SOCAN royalties.

I stand corrected. Didn't know that you had to get permisson. I just thought you had to compensate the writer/band.

Back