Di'Anno & Bayley to perform only Maiden songs

And they are, via the blanket license. Interesting, Cornfed. Thanks for the insight!

And they are, via the blanket license. Interesting, Cornfed. Thanks for the insight!
Yes, obviously. However, through that license you get permission for specific songs. I thought one could take any song and just pay for it without actual consent.

I sort-of thought (before others really clarified matters, above) it was pretty much the same (in spirit) as copyright associated with books/writing i.e. you can pretty much do what you want as long as you aren't making any money out of it. The licensing arrangement (as Cornfed Hick describes above) just sounds like the official way round this i.e. how it's managed. After all, I assume the license costs something & therefore money comes back to the artists/writers from those who have profited from the use of their material e.g. a bar/club. The only point I'd make (in regard to "you CANNOT publicly perform a song without permission") is --you can still do it without the artists permission (--if the above is correct.) But there must be other exemptions too. I mean, a TV advert can't just run with any song in it. You hear of loads of artists who, famously, have never agreed to their songs being used in commercials.

But that's an aside. I agree that the Maiden situation is pretty uncomplicated. Even if there were a case, Steve/Maiden clearly don't/aren't going to mind. I was just curious...

So that's how it works. What kind of penalties are there and how is it enforced?
Also, aren't the artists compensated somehow? I hear performers up here talk about SOCAN royalties.
These are the kind of question for which I get paid. :p Under U.S. law, the copyright holder can sue for actual or statutory damages. The artists do get paid, but by the licensing agencies, who in turn are typically paid by the venues.
I stand corrected. Didn't know that you had to get permisson. I just thought you had to compensate the writer/band.

Under U.S. law, if you want to record a song on a "phonorecord" , there is a compulsory license (i.e., the songwriter can't say no) that you can get if you pay the statutory fee and give notice. Maybe that's the rule Yax is remembering. That is a different right entirely than a public performance right. So, CriedWhenBrucieLeft is actually wrong when he opines that an artist can stop other artists from recording their music.

Again, all this assumes U.S. law. And, I should probably make clear: I am not your lawyer, this advice is worth exactly what you are paying for it, and if you plan on recording or publicly performing other artists' songs, you should get your own lawyer. I can try to recommend one, if you like. If any of you are serious musicians, or just want to know more about the music business, I recommend picking up Donald Passman's book, "All You Need To Know About the Music Business." It is excellent, an easy read for non-lawyers, and essential if you actually are trying to earn income as a music artist. I believe a new edition is coming out in December, so pre-order that rather than getting an old, out-of-date copy -- here is an Amazon.com link: http://www.amazon.com/Need-Know-Abo...all+you+need+to+know+about+the+music+business.

Happy being wrong, as I know literally nothing about this! :D

So, they can't stop you recording their song --I take you also mean releasing it, selling it, etc, too?

If copyright was an issue Paul Di'Anno would be in trouble since Battlezone. I'm not saying he can deliberately play Maiden songs, but there must be a contract between them. The same for Blaze, Dennis Stratton, etc.

Paul Dianno and Blaze Bayley, together, in my home town?? Yes please :)

I've seen Paul before, back in 2002. He gets a lot of criticism, but I really enjoyed his show. Never seen Blaze before, so that should be an interesting experience. Bodega in Wellington is a cool venue, so with a decent crowd the place should be rocking.

Might have to spring for the VIP package....could get my old tour programmes signed.

Yeah, to be clear, as little respect as I have for Paul these days, if this tour showed up near my hometown, I'd be there as well.

Back