Def Leppard

62/365
Def_Leppard_-_Pyromania.jpg

Pyromania - Def Leppard

Rock Rock (Til You Drop) - A slower intro quickly is replaced by some driving guitar work and Joe singing over it all; Nice solo Def Lep is tight on this track and throughout the album, an inclining of what is to come on Hysteria is heard here. And it really works - 9/10

Photograph - The incredibly recognizable intro riff kicks off the bands confession about loving Marilyn, this track is staple for a reason, killer chorus. The solo also is amazing on this track. - 10/10

Stagefright - Beginning with a live show recording transitioning into a fast paced riff and some raspy vocals from Joe. The band lightens up in the chorus but the song as a whole still is a testament to how Def Leppard can rock whilst still being accessible to all - 9/10

Too Late For Love - The band slows down for an atmospheric introduction before transitioning into a mid paced track and getting heavier. Joe has some nice screams in this track. I'd love to hear it live. -8/10

Die Hard The Hunter - The longest song kicks off with sounds of war, helicopters and guns firing. The song starts slow before picking up the pace a little bit. Heavier than the earlier tracks on the album. Nice solos from Clarke on this track. - 8.5/10

Foolin' - My favourite track on the album, the slow opening before letting out the scream is a nice touch. This song has all the Def Leppard tropes but done perfectly. - 10/10

Rock Of Ages - Another Def Lep classic, the song has a musican named after it and it is deserving some nice work on this track. - 9.5/10

Coming Under Fire - A solid deep cut from the band, no song thus far has really dropped in quality from any of the others another strong solid track - 8/10

Action! Not Words - The first song I'd define as filler, but that being said it still is a decent song. - 7/10

Billys got a Gun - The album closes off with probably the heaviest track on it, starting off with a heavier riff before backing up as Joe begins to sing. The album closes out on a strong note. -8/10

Overall 87%

I recently picked up the new double vinyl of Hysteria. One of my all-time favourite albums. Although the sound quality is mostly excellent, there's still a fair bit of distortion towards the run-off area which I assumed wouldn't be a problem having only three tracks on each side. Maybe it's been mastered too high? It is a very loud vinyl I have to say.

Speaking of which, how on earth did they manage to squeeze all those songs on to a single LP back in the day? After all the album is 62 minutes long. It must have sounded awful.

FB_IMG_1629971167016.jpg

Speaking of which, how on earth did they manage to squeeze all those songs on to a single LP back in the day? After all the album is 62 minutes long. It must have sounded awful.

View attachment 16690
The answer is that most of us had abandoned vinyl for better media by then, so we never heard the LP.

This retro fascination with vinyl these days is still bizarre to me. I get that they can’t brickwall the mastering to the same extent on vinyl so you get some protection in those cases, but literally everything else about vinyl is inferior to a CD as far as human hearing is concerned. We left vinyl behind for a reason.

The answer is that most of us had abandoned vinyl for better media by then, so we never heard the LP.

This retro fascination with vinyl these days is still bizarre to me. I get that they can’t brickwall the mastering to the same extent on vinyl so you get some protection in those cases, but literally everything else about vinyl is inferior to a CD as far as human hearing is concerned. We left vinyl behind for a reason.
It's subjective really. I have CD's and Vinyl and enjoy them both for different reasons.

CD's are definitely cleaner and more precise. And they're certainly more convenient. No need to change sides, they last longer (if properly maintained and stored). And obviously they're much cheaper.

On the other hand, some of the best listening experiences I've had have been from vinyl records. A properly mastered LP played on a good sound system can't be beaten imo. Vinyl has its own sound. It's warmer and has more space. And obviously there's having much bigger artwork.

I don't think there's a versus debate really. CD's are more or less redundant now that you can get as good quality on streaming which leaves vinyl as the only remaining unique sounding physical format. This is why there's been a resurgence in it over the last decade. People such as myself still want to hold the record in their hands.

The new Def Leppard album called Diamond Star Halos will be released on May 27th, 2022

Track list and album cover:

1.Take What You Want
2.Kick
3.Fire It Up
4.This Guitar
5.SOS Emergency
6.Liquid Dust
7.U Rok Mi
8.Goodbye For Good This Time
9.All We Need
10.Open Your Eyes
11.Gimme A Kiss
12.Angels (Can't Hel You Now)
13.Lifeless
14.Unbreakable
15.From Here To Eternity

Def Leppard - Diamond Star Halos.jpg

-> The artwork design follows pedigree with instantly recognizable album covers from their celebrated past, and follows the band’s influence through their eyes today.

^ Too bad it's not colorful, it would have been great.

The first single is ''Kick''.

The song is not bad. Typical style for them.

Def Leppard celebrate the 30th anniversary of Adrenalize with this special cover:

leppard.jpg

It's much better than the original cover imo and fits the name of the band.

- btw, the cover of their debut EP is with a leopard, but it's not colorful:

Def Leppard celebrate the 30th anniversary of Adrenalize with this special cover:

View attachment 19606

It's much better than the original cover imo and fits the name of the band.

- btw, the cover of their debut EP is with a leopard, but it's not colorful:

I actually think that's rubbish. It looks like a cheap photoshop job. I don't have a problem with the original cover although it's nothing special. Most Def Leppard covers are pretty bland tbh except for Hysteria which is quite iconic.

I recently picked up the new double vinyl of Hysteria. One of my all-time favourite albums. Although the sound quality is mostly excellent, there's still a fair bit of distortion towards the run-off area which I assumed wouldn't be a problem having only three tracks on each side. Maybe it's been mastered too high? It is a very loud vinyl I have to say.

View attachment 16690
Actually, it didn't. Still have my original copy. Bought both the vinyl and the cassette versions within months of each other. Still, what sounded good to me then may not apply today. Haven't played either in 2 decades at least. This is also an album that I loved when it came out, but I can't stand now. I still like the title track, Love And Affection, Animal and maybe Gods Of War. Lost interest in these guys after Euphoria. Btw, with Exception of White Lightning and Tear It Down, I never cared for Adrenalize.

Last edited:
New single - ''Take What You Want''

A nice surprise. The song is a mix of the 80's sound of the band and a modern vibe. Good solos. Maybe this time I will like their new stuff...

The DELUXE version of the album is with a colored cover:

dsh.jpg
Much better!

-> The album will have 2 bonus songs.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The third single is out - ''Fire It Up''

It's the weakest single so far imo. Nice verses.

New single - ''Take What You Want''

A nice surprise. The song is a mix of the 80's sound of the band and a modern vibe. Good solos. Maybe this time I will like their new stuff...

I agree. Fire It Up is decent and the songs I've heard from this one has rekindled my interest in this band.

Back