Deep Purple

Ian rules! Also on the double bass in Fireball!

Awesome Airey ending in Perfect Strangers.

From what I've listened too. Those two really keep it together. Especially Airey. Paice still plays great but I don't like the tuning/sound of his drums that much in this concert.

DeepPurpleTimeToKillPhotos.jpg

A new book on MkII due in November.

"Time To Kill" is a new publication from Wymer Publishing that focuses on the final tumultuous year for the classic DEEP PURPLE MKII lineup. Written by PURPLE biographer Jerry Bloom, who has already written several books on the band, this is an in-depth look at the the appropriately named "The Battle Rages On..." album and the tour that followed its release during this much-overlooked period in the band's career.

DEEP PURPLE MKII will always be revered as the classic DEEP PURPLE lineup. Original members Ritchie Blackmore, Jon Lord and Ian Paice, along with Ian Gillan and Roger Glover, established PURPLE as one of the biggest bands in the world during their original tenure between 1969-73. When the lineup reformed in 1984, it proved once again that this was the definitive DEEP PURPLE and their 1985 U.S. tour was the second biggest grossing that year. Sadly, by 1989, the friction between Blackmore and Gillan that had led to the spilt first time around did so again and Gillan was fired.

With all eyes on the 25th anniversary of the band's 1968 inception, there was huge pressure both from within and outside the band for Gillan to return to the fold so that the occasion could be celebrated in style. The critics said it wouldn't work — it did. And they said it wouldn't last... well they were certainly right about that!

Upon Gillan's return in late 1992 they produced the album and then planned to embark on a world tour. However, the American shows were all canceled, which left just Europe and Japan. Whilst the tensions within the band were greater than ever, Jon Lord went on to say: "The shows were done at an energy level and ability level I've rarely seen attained before. I think we played as well as we've ever played."

Indeed, for those fortunate to witness the tour most fans shared Lord's opinion. Yet the divisions between Blackmore and Gillan grew as the tour progressed, with Blackmore calling a halt to proceedings before the Japanese leg could begin. In all, there would be just 37 shows — the last hurrah of the ultimate DEEP PURPLE lineup.

Bloom wrote "Black Knight", the unauthorized Ritchie Blackmore biography; several other books on PURPLE as well as contributing sleeve notes to various officially released DEEP PURPLE albums, including "Live In Europe 1993" — a 4 CD box set that he also initiated. Bloom caught 10 of the 37 shows and was privy to some of the shenanigans that went on, making him the ideal person to document the last MKII tour in detail.

Along with the comprehensive narrative, this beautifully designed book is crammed full of never before seen photos from the tour. It includes many shots of the band both on stage as well as back stage, in hotels, on aeroplanes and relaxing as the tour wound its way across Europe culminating in Blackmore's last show with the band in Finland on November 17, 1993.

As part of the commemoration, the book will be fittingly published on November 17 this year, 25 years to the day that MKII played its last-ever concert together.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/de...k-focusing-on-classic-lineup-due-in-november/

2/365 Burn – Deep Purple (MKIII)

Deep_Purple_-_Burn.jpeg

Knew Burn and Mistreated Before Hand.

Burn – A ripping opener with great vocals from Coverdale and Hughes, Blackmore, Lord and Paice are on fire with this track. Overall a perfect track – 10/10

Might Just Take Your Life – This track has a nice keyboard intro which is joined by a nice groove from Blackmore. The singers have some nice Harmonies however the aggression from the previous track is gone. Overall a solid track 7.5/10

Lay Down Stay Down – Another track with a very groove filled intro, Hughes takes more of the vocals on this one, faster paced and a solid rocker. 7.5/10

Sail Away – Slower but once again filled with a nice groove. Not as strong as the previous 3 tracks but still not bad by any means. Harmonies between the guitar and keys are great and the vocalists are solid -7/10

You Fool No One – Another faster track opening side 2 of the album, Vocal harmonies fill this track. The track completely screams 70s and reminds me of Blue Oyster Cult. I like it. 8/10

Whats Goin’ On Here – A mid-paced track that isn’t really a rocker but isn’t slow per-say. Overall fits the same bill as Sail Away, a solid song; but not quite as strong as the rest. – 7/10

Mistreated – Slow and prodding Mistreated is an amazing Deep Purple ballad. Coverdale shows off some great vocal talents. Overall an essential Deep Purple Track which comes close to the Title track to being the best track on the Album however it isn’t quite there. 9/10

“A” 200 – An instrumental closer track which frankly could have been left off, However it is by no means a bad instrumental just not necessary 7/10

Overall Rating - 79%

Burn is a phenomenal album. Honestly, I'd take it over Machine Head any day. Some of Blackmore's very best playing is on this record, IMO.

For me this album is the title track, You Fool No One and Mistreated, and the curious track that is A 200. The rest lacks energy.

26/365
Machine_Head_album_cover.jpg

Machine Head - Deep Purple

Highway Star - The classic opener Highway Star is a song that has grown on me over the years I used to despise this song, but now I appreciate it as the masterpiece that it is. Amazing vocals, guitar, drums and keyboard work here. This is MK II Purple at their finest. - 10/10

Maybe I'm A Leo - A slower groove follows up on the second track of the album, this song is solid but not amazing. The groove is really what keeps it going - 7/10

Pictures from Home - Faster paced than the previous track, Ian's vocals are clear but still not the most effective. The instrumentation by Purple on this track is great. But this song is a solid one - 8/10

Never Before - An interesting intro kicks off the closer of side 1, an odd track, clearly Purple are showing a different side of their writing here as opposed to straightforward rockers that the rest of this side has been. - 7.5/10

Smoke on The Water - A classic rock tune, easily recognizable riff. Strong overall performance but I will say overrated. - 9/10

Lazy - John Lord's time to shine, the slow moving keyboard-based track Lazy starts off with an extended keyboard solo before Blackmore comes in slowly followed by the band, vocals finally appear a fair chunk into the song. And the song continues on, it doesn't come close to Child In Time as the Album's extended centerpiece but it does a really solid job - 8.5/10

Space Truckin - It is at this point that I have to mention how Blackmore's most popular albums from each of his Metal projects have immense Side 2's in both this and Rising. A strong song to end off the classic album. Another track that has grown on me over the past few years. Nice screams from Ian and amazing groove from Ritchie, Ian Paice shows another strong performance here as well. - 9/10

Overall 84%

39/365
Deep_Purple_in_Rock.jpg

In Rock - Deep Purple

Speed King - Gillan's first appearance in Purple kicks off the the fast paced Speed King, musically this song is really strong, I'm not a huge fan of Gillan's vocals on this track but they don't take away from the track as a whole too much - 7.5/10

Bloodsucker - Gillan nails it on this track, the band is tight, well placed screams. A strong track 8.5/10

Child In Time - A masterpiece start to finish, unreal performances -10/10

Flight of The Rat - A faster paced epic than Child In Time, with amazing musicianship by the band. Gillan's vocals are solid on this one and the track flies by. - 9.5/10

Into The Fire - Mid paced, the band is on fire for this track, once again Gillan's vocals just don't work for me. Solid song overall 7/10

Living Wreck - A decent track, keeping a slower pace throughout, blackmore's solo is fairly slow but it is really well done. Overall a solid track - 7.5/10

Hard Loving Man - The album closes off with a a faster paced song, strong guitar and organ work, the beat is great and Gillan delivers on this performance. 8.5/10

Overall 84%

New US tour announced. Tempted to see them on it but it is a weeknight and I'll be in the middle of my program so it would mean a lack of sleep for the next day.

Back