1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep Purple

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Night Prowler, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Freeyyaa

Freeyyaa mordebo et stringebo

I don't beleive it. I was said Ian's last name comes from Welsh or even from baltic languages.

2. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

3. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Gaelic and Welsh are both Insular Celtic languages. They're as close to each other as purebred Russian and purebred Ukrainian.

4. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Infinite came in the mail today ... Just finishing up side B (got the Vinyl) .. I am enjoying it. So far, pretty on par with Now What!? quality wise

Black Bart likes this.
  5. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

So far I have heard Time For Bedlam, Birds of Prey, The Surprising, and Johnny's Band.

Love Johnny's Band for how honest and straight forward the lyrics are and how the guitar lick sounds like a Edgar Winter rip off (no wonder he is opening for Purple).

The other three sound more progressive and less driving than I have heard Purple before. Slower and mystical. (Mind you this is only on a first listen. My opinion might change after seeing the material played live). I am a fan of both progressive and harder driving rock as well so even though it sounds like a different Purple than I have known, I am enjoying it.

6. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

I pretty much agree with this, the songs you listed .. especially The Surprising are really good ... the rest are quite solid. I think I like Now What better, but this is still really good. Look forward to seeing them this summer, should be a good show with the support acts

terrell39 likes this.
  7. Welsh Phantom

Welsh Phantom Educated Fool

This is a really interesting, in depth, one hour long interview with Ritchie Blackmore. I think it is around the Battle Rages On era, but it covers most of Ritchie's work. Well worth a viewing! ;)

bearfan likes this.
  8. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

Thanks for the find! :)

Welsh Phantom likes this.
  9. Vantage Point

Vantage Point Prowler

10. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

Deep Purple are touring the UK in November with Europe as support!

I'm strongly considering attending as a fan of the latter. I enjoy Deep Purple too, but have admittedly only listened to In Rock and Machine Head. Any suggestions on live staples etc. it would be worth listening to before the fact? If there was a setlist to look up I'd do so; I quite like knowing the songs before going in.

11. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

I would give the last two albums. Now What and Infinite a listen and at least the song Perfect Strangers. Those and Machine Head should cover a decent amount of what they will play

They are touring the US with Alice Cooper and the Edgar Winter band. Looking forward to it. Purple and Cooper put on great shows

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    DJMayes likes this.
  12. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

I should add, the US tour starts any day now, I am seeing them in a few weeks, so you should see some setlists come up soon.

I'll add they usually play Hush as well. The only non Gillan Purple somg they ever play.

Edit: on a personal note. I have seen Purple in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s. Amazing how good they still are after all these years

terrell39, JudasMyGuide and DJMayes like this.
  13. Vantage Point

Vantage Point Prowler

Setlist FM is a good place to see what bands are playing, here is the most recent Deep Purple setlist, doubt the UK gigs will differ too much. I like both bands so it is a great bill for me.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/deep-purple/2017/the-chelsea-las-vegas-nv-3be508a0.html

terrell39 likes this.
  14. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

They didn't preserve Burn at least? Shame.

15. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

16. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

I am 99.9% sure that since they reformed for Perfect Strangers
    .. Hush is the only song that Gillan did not originally sing on that they have played live with him in the band

17. terrell39

I wish I could have seen DP on the Slaves and Masters tour. They opened with Burn. This was when Joe Lynn Turner was their singer. I had tix to see them, but they canceled the tour before it got to Texas :mad:

18. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

Technically, Steve Morse played a snippet of "Burn" at Montreux Festival in 1996 (DVD) but Gillan didn't seem too pleased with it.

terrell39 likes this.
  19. terrell39

Did you ever see them with David Coverdale on vocals? If so, which tour?

20. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

I did not .. all with Gillan .. not intentional, just worked out that way. I saw Whitesnake once in the 80s ... he sounded good there. From what I have seen, he is not sounding all that hot anymore.