Deep Purple

As you may have heard, Steve Morse has officially left Deep Purple to spend time with his wife who is undergoing a treatment for cancer.
https://blabbermouth.net/news/steve-morse-officially-quits-deep-purple-to-care-for-ailing-wife

Do you think...
1. the studio career of the band is over;
2. Morse's replacement on tour - Simon McBride- will officially join DP and write with the band;
3. A new guitar player will be announced at some point;
4. Ritchie will return? :D

What are your thoughts on this?

A little tribute to the longest-standing guitar player in DP (the real name is "Cascades: I'm Not Your Lover Now" by the way)

Well it says that the last thing he was involved with was a writing session, so looks like they had been planning doing some more recording. Whether of course they proceed with this, who knows.

I'd assume they will continue with McBride, unless he isn't interested in doing it full time, but I'd assume he will be grabbing the opportunity with both hands and staying with the band as long as he can.

I have really enjoyed the Morse era of the band, seem them quite a few times and think they have produced some great music. While I'm also a big fan of Morse solo, Southern Steel is one of my all time favourite albums.

I would like they do an album with several guitar players as guests.
What if Gillian call Janick and Offer to collaborate to write some songs? Or if he is tempted to be one member of Purple meanwhile Maiden is not touring? I would like it to be honest

What's the best live version of Child in Time?
Now that we have hundreds of shows at our disposal, the question is rather complex. :D

As for the classic releases, I'd say the one from Made In Japan. As regards the videos, the one from Doing Their Thing and that from Come Hell or High Water are interesting to compare:

Now that we have hundreds of shows at our disposal, the question is rather complex. :D

As for the classic releases, I'd say the one from Made In Japan. As regards the videos, the one from Doing Their Thing and that from Come Hell or High Water are interesting to compare:
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware there were hundreds of shows available. Did DP pull a Metallica and just upload everything they had?

Did DP pull a Metallica and just upload everything they had?
No, but, although I'm not a completist, I must have around 15 versions of "Child in Time" on official support. To which you can add everything you can find online on lossy or lossless bootlegs. ;)

Last edited:
I saw them last year with the new guitarist Simon McBribe. I was so excited for the show as 3/5ths of this particular line-up recorded the Contractual Obligation live albums by Ian Gillan. (McBribe and Airey also recorded the amazing Don Airey solo live album Live in Hamburg). I knew the band would sound much more like the classic line-up thanks to these recordings. They (almost) played Machine Head in full, only skipping Never Before, which happends to be a great song! Such a great gig! I am so excited for the new album they are currently recording! Going to be as close as we will ever get to a new Mark 2 album. I love Steve Morse and I would put Purpendicular as my favourite Deep Purple album. I loved Woosh, Now What and Infinite, but I'm feeling very excited for the potential new direction!

Last edited:
I saw them last year with the new guitarist Simon McBribe. I was so excited for the show as 3/5ths of this particular line-up recorded the Contractual Obligation live albums by Ian Gillan. (McBribe and Airey also recorded the amazing Don Airey solo live album Live in Hamburg). I knew the band would sound much more like the classic line-up thanks to these recordings. They (almost) played Machine Head in full, only skipping Never Before, which happends to be a great song! Such a great gig! I am so excited for the new album they are currently recording! Going to be as close as we will ever get to a new Mark 2 album. I love Steve Morse and I would put Purpendicular as my favourite Deep Purple album. I loved Woosh, Now What and Infinite, but I'm feeling very excited for the potential new direction!

I also saw the band last year (it was my 6th Deep Purple concert, with the first one being back in 1998) and they did not disappoint. Simon did a great job replacing Steve Morse.

I also saw the band last year (it was my 6th Deep Purple concert, with the first one being back in 1998) and they did not disappoint. Simon did a great job replacing Steve Morse.
Hopefully they will release a live album based on the 2022 live shows, it was a great idea buiding the setlist around Machine Head!

Actually, they had played Machine Head in full before but at time it was less advertised:
Yes, it was really cool that they brought back Never Before, but I think the Machine Head material sounds better with Simon playing it. They thought that was going to be the big song from that album and put it out as the single.

Back