Death Of The Celts

How good is Death of the Celts on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
There was a substantial Romanized British elite which had embraced Christianity, probably in some part for political reasons, by the time the Romans left around 400. It's hard to know how deep those roots went though.
yeah i think their is more evidence for the Picts being Christian than being Pagan

At what point in time did the Celtic tribes in what is currently known as Britain embraced monotheism?

St. Patrick was mid 5th century, and he was one of the Romanized Britons that @Boroking is referring to. So Fifth and Sixth century would be the time the Irish converted, plus they then spread Christainity in Scotland and Northern England through monasteries such as Iona.

Therefore, it would depend on whether the Celts Steve was thinking of are fighting against the Romans or other enemies much later in time. Can we still consider them to be Celts after being Romanised though?

By Toutatis, we need an interview with Steve as a matter of urgency!

I think the notion of 'The Celts' is quite vague. It's more a cultural tag then an ethnic one and culture isn't static. Perhaps those in the more settled south and east were more Roman Britons and less obviously celtic whilst those further to the north and west would have retained more classical 'Celtic' traditions and customs. Certainly those in the South were much less capable of protecting themselves thanks to their Romanisation, which led to Vortigern making one history's great mistakes and 'inviting' Hengist and Horsa and their unruly Anglo-Saxons to come and protect them.

We should also take a look at the following passage:
"Praying that the rose is still awake".

What is meant here by "rose"? I cannot find anything about this.

Man that mixolydian part in the middle! I love it. I don't think Maiden have done anything so close to folk metal before. Very cool.

Death of the Celts - 9.5/10 - I know everyone is comparing this to The Clansman, and I kind of get why. I also wonder if it was called anything else if it would still get those comparisons as much? This one to me sounds more Scottish somehow, those melodies remind me of bagpipes and the midsection has some really cool bass runs. I didn't care for this song at all at first but it's the one that has grown on me the most. My only nitpick is why are there like 4 different intro sections? They are cool, but did we really need 4 of them? Probably not. Don't care as the song makes me want to put on a kilt and jig around my apartment like an idiot.

Boring??

BORING??!!

Really??

Grew up with folk before discovering IM, love both. It’s like a song from 1 of those old legends.

The listener either forgets to, or doesn’t want/need to, eat, drink, take care of themselves. Then the song, which probably stretches on for a good while but doesn’t seem to, just….stops. All the listener wants is to hear the song they’ve just heard again.

If this is indeed their last album they’ve excelled themselves & it will soften the blow a bit. In Maiden we trust, cry it out loud!!

I'm trying to piece together how to play this song on bass guitar. This might be Harris's most fun, interesting and challenging performance of the entire reunion era.

Janick's solo in this song sounds like a solo from the Virtual XI album - it's great and it's perfect for the theme/atmosphere of the song.

Definitely my fav song off the album. The beginning acoustic reminds me a bit of A change of seasons by Dream Theater, which translates into Clansman, then the drums sound like Face in the Sand and so does the end of Adrians solo and finally it translates into IRISH folk music. One of the best songs of the reunion era for sure.

Janick's solo in this song sounds like a solo from the Virtual XI album - it's great and it's perfect for the theme/atmosphere of the song.
I think his solo sounds very rock n roll-ish. Adrians first solo is also amazing and Dave seems to be re-playing the rime of the ancient mariner solo again lol

We should also take a look at the following passage:
"Praying that the rose is still awake".

What is meant here by "rose"? I cannot find anything about this.
The Celtic Rose is considered a symbol of purity of the heart. In general, the Rose has been associated with the Virgin Mary, sometimes called the “Holy Rose”. In Celtic mythology, rosettes were associated with the sun and the Celtic solar god. Thus, the rose symbolized both heavenly perfection and earthly passion.

Back