Days Of Future Past

How good is Days of Future Past on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Well I get that the solo is a bit short and the breakdown sounds a bit weird at first. However this is what I felt when listening to Ghost of Cain for the first 10 times or so.
The breakdown in this song reminds me of the breakdown after Adrian's solo in ''Sea Of Madness''. Btw, I really like the breakdown with the drums in the Smith/Dickinson bonus song for the AOB album - something similar would have been great for ''Days Of Future Past'' too imo.

^Edit: after Adrian's solo in ''Wildest Dreams'' too.

Last edited:
The breakdown in this song reminds me of the breakdown after Adrian's solo in ''Sea Of Madness''. Btw, I really like the breakdown with the drums in the Smith/Dickinson bonus song for the AOB album - something similar would have been great for ''Days Of Future Past'' too imo.
I get what you mean, however I'd rather have a great song with an ok breakdown than a terrible song with a great breakdown ( I had to google cause I couldn't even remember the song's name...Wildest Dreams :down:)

^True dat, Wildest Dreams has a great breakdown. A bit of soft rocker, but not a terrible one; just not as good as the approximately 150 catalogue songs above it. ;)

Reactions: Gk1
Well, I never got why people like the wickerman and it even got to be this iconic song that every rocker is measured against.....but IMO this is as close to a classic song Maiden can get to nowadays

I wish there was some kind of melodic interlude instead of that weird anticlimactic fade out prior to the final chorus.
I agree - a guitar harmony is what is really missing in this short song (the case is similar with ''The Final Frontier'') and it would be a great fit for a continuation of Adrian's suddenly interrupted solo. The song would have been even better with this feature... or a longer solo.

Man, this album just keeps going, doesn't it? "Days of Future Past" just comes in, lays down a fucking great song, and gets the fuck out before you can even say "I fucking love this song!" It's nothing new, the verse feels like something we've heard Bruce do in his solo career, but at the same time everything works to great effect. The intro has really cool Eastern vibes, the lyrics are absolutely biting (Bruce really went for the jugular here), the solo is short but effective, and there's even a cool little synthy comedown stuck in here as well.

But the thing that brings the whole song together, and makes it what it is, is the chorus. The first time I heard it I got goosebumps. I have never stopped getting them. It's so. fucking. good. Why the hell is no one else talking about this chorus? It just explodes on the speakers. Bruce lets it rip, the guitar are like shooting stars, and Nicko pulls them all together. I also love the build-up in the final two choruses that comes to fruition when the beat changes underneath us. It's just such a great chorus, my god.

I'm debating over how to score this song because it kind of depends on the day if I'm giving it full marks or not. But fuck it, I can round up because I think this song deserves way more praise than it's gotten and I love that fucking chorus so much. 10/10

This is a great song, for sure. The instrumental interlude reminds me a little too much of Marvel’s The Avengers theme, but otherwise this is pretty much everything someone could want from a modern short rocker from Maiden, IMO.

Well it is about a Marvel character, so maybe that’s a pro.
The Shadow King is no Avenger, though. And “Days Of Future Past” is probably no more about the Shadow King than “Darkside Of Aquarius” was about the Silver Surfer.

Looked it up and I botched the fuck out of that reply. The song is about the DC character Constantine. Funny then that it reminds you of a Marvel theme, lol.

A chiming guitar lead is joined by a midtempo groove, suddenly cutting into a more aggressive guitar break and a driving verse groove with a great melodic vocal line. This breaks into a soaring chorus, soon returning to the verse with more accompanying guitar and flowing back into the chorus.

A strong solo gives way to a softer atmospheric interlude which builds back up to the chorus. (I love the rhythmic change-up in the drums during the chorus here.) This flows back into a reprise of the chiming intro to close out the track.

Short, punchy, and sweet, with a particularly strong vocal from Bruce — another great modern Maiden rocker. 8/10.

This song is incredible and my favorite short rocker since….Be Quick or Be Dead I think. The notes Bruce is hitting on that chorus are insane and he sounds strong in that range, not at all weak and strained. And it comes at the perfect time on the album. I really hope they play this live.

Does this feel like a half finished song to anyone? I get vibes of the unfinished solo from Gangland from the empty midsection. It feels like there should be something there.

Does this feel like a half finished song to anyone? I get vibes of the unfinished solo from Gangland from the empty midsection. It feels like there should be something there.

I imagine it was intentional, but I get the same feeling. To me it feels like the beginning of a Wildest Dreams-esque breakdown, but they didn't actually put one in. Weird.

Back