Dance of death

bornless1 said:
  I'm sorry if I contributed in  bending this Dance of Death thread towards the same ol' Blaze sucks/doesn't suck routine.  of course the band is all the better for having Blaze fill in' and keep the band alive.  The addition of Janick is great blah blah blah.  The good part is, he kept the seat warm and we get masterpieces like Final Frontier in the end.  Happy ending.

Isn't that just a nice way of saying Blaze makes Maiden sound even better today ;)

This album hasn't aged that well with me.  When it came out I loved it and thought it was immensely better than Brave New World (and in many ways I still do) but it's been bettered pretty handily with the 2 albums that followed.

It reminds me of Fear of the Dark not in terms of sound or anything, but because that album too is full of about 4 real gems and classics surrounded by some good to decent material.  Paschendale, Dance of Death, Rainmaker and Montsegur really make this album for me.  The rest is just decent.

Which is somewhat odd since while I feel that both AMOLAD and TFF were stronger overall albums, neither contains songs quite as brilliant as those 4. 

Crappy artwork and atrocious mixing/mastering also doesn't help its cause either.  That being said, I still listen to this album frequently.

I like DOD overall, but it came out in a weird period of my life so when I listen to the album from beginning to end it reminds of that time but if a song pops up in a playlist it seems to be fine for me. Strange how that happens about memories.

One thing I can't understand is how a lot of people say they think Journeyman is one of the weaker tracks. To me it's one of the best on the album. And of course it's even better live but the studio version is astounding.... I love the orchestral parts.

Machiventa said:
I like DOD overall, but it came out in a weird period of my life so when I listen to the album from beginning to end it reminds of that time but if a song pops up in a playlist it seems to be fine for me. Strange how that happens about memories.

One thing I can't understand is how a lot of people say they think Journeyman is one of the weaker tracks. To me it's one of the best on the album. And of course it's even better live but the studio version is astounding.... I love the orchestral parts.

The guitars and orchestral portions are great, but I am turned off by the chorus.  The lyrics, melody, structure, all just don't do it for me personally.

Dance Of Death is what got me into Maiden as it was my first cd of theirs I bought. I think all the songs are really good and then there a a couple of mind-blowers like Paschendale and the title track. Paschendale is easily one of my top 3 Maiden songs. I think this album has a good flow with a nice variety of songs, I don't see any of them as fillers. Excellent album!!!  :ok:

The que hits.  Slowly, majestically, an alligator drops to the stage.  It's snarling visage spooking Bruce as he is in full narrator mode--- "one night wandering in the everglades......"

The crowd erupts in laughter.  Pissed, Steve runs backstage to confront his crew.  "It's supposed to be an 18' allligator...... not an 18" alligator, you idiots!"

Naw.  I don't see it.

sasquashed said:
The que hits.  Slowly, majestically, an alligator drops to the stage.  It's snarling visage spooking Bruce as he is in full narrator mode--- "one night wandering in the everglades......"

The crowd erupts in laughter.  Pissed, Steve runs backstage to confront his crew.  "It's supposed to be an 18' allligator...... not an 18" alligator, you idiots!"

Naw.  I don't see it.

How Spinal Tapish...

I made copies of all my Maiden albums for my wife, put them in a nice little cd binder for her, and even made xerox color copies of the album sleeves.  I advised her to start from Iron Maiden, and work her way up to TFF.  Turns out, her two favorite albums are FOTD and DOD.  Pretty interesting!

chaosapiant said:
I made copies of all my Maiden albums for my wife, put them in a nice little cd binder for her, and even made xerox color copies of the album sleeves.  I advised her to start from Iron Maiden, and work her way up to TFF.  Turns out, her two favorite albums are FOTD and DOD.  Pretty interesting!

That is the advantage of "new" fans... They don't have the shock of Adrian or Bruce leaving, after all they eventually came back. I like getting into old bands with extensive discographies for that reason I can listen to all their albums fresh and make a more objective decision than I can with new bands releasing material recently.

Back