Dance of death

Feverdog

Trooper
Just watched spinal tap not seen it in years is it just me or is dance of death a bit stonehenge

ps. Dance of death is my 2nd favourite maiden album

Shark sandwich
Shit sandwich

That's what I thought when I heard it. I don't care for the song and Dance of Death is my least favorite Maiden album. Every Maiden album is superior to that album, I don't know what they were thinking when they composed it, never mind the god-awful album cover.  It's got some really great songs like Paschendale, Rainmaker, No More Lies, Age of Innocence and two others but the rest is lackluster material. Like Bruce said, some ideas worked and some didn't. Some songs seemed like a bunch of older ideas slapped together and made new and didn't work at all. Other songs just didn't go anywhere. Some like it, I don't but each to their own.

Like you say each to his own but i love it and think montsegur would fit in  on any album from the golden age . Its true the cover does sucks

Dance of Death, gave me the impression that it took place in south florida during the age of discovery when europeans came to the new world and encountered the natives, they mention the everglades (south florida) the setting seems to be a settler wondering in the everglades and is captured by natives, the ghost dance was common among natives, not sure if florida natives practiced it though, so this settler is captured and witnesses what the rituals they do then a skirmish between the 2 groups starts and he escapes

unless theres an everglades elsewhere then id be really off.

metalwarrior220 said:
That's what I thought when I heard it. I don't care for the song and Dance of Death is my least favorite Maiden album. Every Maiden album is superior to that album, I don't know what they were thinking when they composed it, never mind the god-awful album cover.  It's got some really great songs like Paschendale, Rainmaker, No More Lies, Age of Innocence and two others but the rest is lackluster material. Like Bruce said, some ideas worked and some didn't. Some songs seemed like a bunch of older ideas slapped together and made new and didn't work at all. Other songs just didn't go anywhere. Some like it, I don't but each to their own.
:shred:Dance of death is very spiritual. I like the song.

Dance of death is middle of the road Maiden.  No way it is inferior to the 'Blaze'ing vomit albums or 'Fear'.  It is also better than No Prayer imo. it is 11th best.  It is definitely thoughtful and at times downright profound.  Montsegur is perhaps the most unappreciated Maiden song ever.

Weakest album of the noughties for me but still packed with incredible moments. Paschendale, DOD, Journeyman, Montsegur, Rainmaker and to a lesser degree Wildest Dreams are all listened to regularly in this household. The rest of the album is a bit bland though.

bornless1 said:
  Dance of death is middle of the road Maiden.  No way it is inferior to the 'Blaze'ing vomit albums or 'Fear'.  It is also better than No Prayer imo. it is 11th best.  It is definitely thoughtful and at times downright profound.  Montsegur is perhaps the most unappreciated Maiden song ever.

Pretty much my thougths.  If it wasn't for Paschendale, the title track and possibly RainMaker, then I would probably consider it as weak as the 90s albums.  It's certainly, in my oprinion, the weakest of the post 2000 albums.  However, whislt the cover was awful, I thought the tour production was great and its not bad era all told.

Cmaro214 said:
... they mention the everglades (south florida) the setting seems to be a settler wondering in the everglades ...

You reminded me of something. I was having dinner a week ago with someone from Florida, and we were talking about the Everglades. It's not the kind of place you just "wander around". It's a swamp, for crying out loud. It's full of alligators and other dangerous animals. Last time I was there, I saw (from a safe distance) a pack of wild, feral pigs.

Wandering around the Everglades in the dark, you'd be incredibly lucky if the worst that happened was getting lost.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Wandering around the Everglades in the dark, you'd be incredibly lucky if the worst that happened was getting lost.

The narrator says he did encounter a bunch of undead who danced with him and very nearly had his spirit removed from his body permanently, so I'd argue he had something worse happening to him...

Kind of makes you wonder what was in that 'one drink' to make him do something like that.

Perun said:
The narrator says he did encounter a bunch of undead who danced with him and very nearly had his spirit removed from his body permanently, so I'd argue he had something worse happening to him...

Well, yes.

But I was thinking more along the lines: if you go wandering in the Everglades in the dark, you're most likely to just step off land and suddenly find yourself at the bottom of an alligator den.

Living long enough to find the living dead? The snakes might have something to say about that. :smartarse:

Well, there's a trick to survival there. All the power of an alligator's jaw is in the muscles that close it. So they can chomp on anything, I guess. But they have almost no strength in the muscles which open their jaws. If you can catch one with a closed mouth, you can hold his mouth closed with your bare hands. Problem solved.

Disclaimer: you're on your own if the alligator fights back. Or if another one shows up. :innocent:

Edit: we need more Prance in this thread. This is the dance and prance song we're talking about, right? Let me see if I can do this right...

Perun said:

:shredThis song is good! Me like good song  Love, Prance getbent@yahoo.com
:yey:

Since my first listen DOD has really grown on me. Not a bad song  on there imo. I think it was the start of Maiden's expirimental period leading up to TFF. Actually I think TFF is gonna lead to something alot bigger.                                                        Edit: Just remembered DOD had Gates of Tomorrow.  :mad:

SinisterMinisterX said:
Edit: we need more Prance in this thread. This is the dance and prance song we're talking about, right? Let me see if I can do this right...
:yey:

You can't do it as well as you did thousand_suns, so at least now I'm convinced Prance's return isn't a joke by the mod squad. ;)

I don't understand why so many people put Paschendale above DOD. DOD is the quintessential storytelling Maiden epic. To be fair, the studio version isn't great, but like Paschendale, the DOTR version is better.

Only weak moments on the record for me were Wildest Dreams and Journeyman (though both improved live. ) Yes, there are some less memorable tunes but they hold up well when I go back and listen to them. I just think the album had a much more upbeat feel overall than most of Maiden's material, making the album sound pretty foreign to usual IM.

Back