Dance Of Death mixing/production

It's a great album musically, but the sound is muddy to me...I've never cared for Shirley's mixes in general, though I thought BNW was much crisper and cleaner on the production side of the house.

Last edited:
I still cannot believe that this album was recorded on magnetic (analogue) tape - wtf.... we are not in the 80's (the production of the Maiden's albums in that era was superb though), the technologies are much more developed by now (and by then, in 2003). Though, I think DOD mixing is alright, not so good, but also not that bad. The best production that Kevin Shirley has done in Maiden is on the BNW album (AMOLAD comes close... and TBOS is also great). DOD and TFF have some remarks. Although AMOLAD was not mastered, it sounds really well.

Last edited:
Can I reply to something about tapes and tape recording :D

On a related note, here are the 10 best produced Maiden songs according to ''The Caveman'' itself

it's not the 10 best produced songs, it's the 10 best songs from the era that he was the producer.

Well, theres so many more modern threads that are full of absolute muck these days (hence the disappearance of that Cried fucker) that this bump is ok to me.
Nice articles. I did not know that Shirley worked on the Silverchair album, Frogstomp. Fuckin thing was on heavy rotation back in the day. Cant remember the name of the good song and dont want to inflict the whole album on myself so if anyone remembers the hit, go on tell me. Bush were also good for 5 minutes.

Why is a three year old topic kicked back to live by articles that are three years old and that were posted on this forum before?

Answer:
Kalata

I added this two articles as a bonus to my comment. I can't think of appropriate thread for them. I doubt that they were posted before, but anyway, it seems that they were useful for @Niall Kielt and that makes your comment just a simple trolling. If you do not have something to say about the DOD production/mixing then you can skip it, not trying to be interesting. It is as simple as that.
it's not the 10 best produced songs, it's the 10 best songs from the era that he was the producer.

Ops. My bad. :facepalm:

Last edited:
So your mission is achieved when at least one person has not seen something before?

Shall we post the whole internet here then? That's allowed according to your theory.

You sir have trolling style of posting. As long as everything is allowed here, I am forced to ignore these fucking teenagers. Which is annoying, because it confuses discussions, and I miss the good posts as well.

Last edited:
So your mission is achieved when at least one person has not seen something before?

Shall we post the whole internet here then? That's allowed according to your theory.

You sir have trolling style of posting. As long as everything is allowed here, I am forced to ignore these fucking teenagers. Which is annoying, because it confuses discussions, and I miss the good posts as well.

This is nonsenses. My posts have never been trolling, but yours are that. And mission? It's good that some people find these articles useful/interesting - and since there is not a separate thread for Kevin Shirley or so, I thought this the best place to post them. As I said, I doubt that they were posted before. And instead of talking about the DOD production you trolls with your comment and tries to be interesting. It has so many meaningless threads around, and sharing two articles that are I'm sure not many people have seen before is your fucking problem? I sense personal attitude from you to me (not for the first time). Which is sad, because we are all Maiden fans and we should have more fun when we talk about our favorite band in a Maiden forum. Have more fun, guys.

As long as everything is allowed here, I am forced to ignore these fucking teenagers. Which is annoying, because it confuses discussions, and I miss the good posts as well.
So you think that young fans are a problem here? And how do you even know his age?

On topic: does anyone know of a good remix of DoD? Saw Travis’s post earlier here but there didn’t seem to be any link to anything.

I do not agree with this, I think they recorded the best. because DOD album was recorded on magnetic tape, by drummer Nicko as with Brave and produced by Kevin Shirley.

Check and feel free to let me know...if is there required any corrections.

Sorry I do not understand that well.

Do you mean DoD is better than BNW because drums are recorded acoustically as opposed to being half-triggered on BNW?

This thread appears to be a nightmare spanning almost 15 years now, but might as well weigh in: I know relatively little about music production in general but Dance of Death has always sounded like a vibrant and heavy album to me. And while the bass is a tad buried, the drums are anything but. That drum sound on Paschendale is amazing to me. This album also has the chunkiest guitar sound since Piece of Mind. I like it and I think it suits the songs. That's not to say it couldn't sound "better" but since I can't compare it to version that doesn't exists or is theoretical, I'm quite happy with the production on this album. Overall I'm quite happy with all of the Kevin Shirley produced Maiden albums.

Back