Dance Of Death mixing/production

Discussion in 'Dance Of Death' started by Anonymous, Jun 23, 2005.

1. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

It's a great album musically, but the sound is muddy to me...I've never cared for Shirley's mixes in general, though I thought BNW was much crisper and cleaner on the production side of the house.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. Kalata

Kalata Out of the Silent Planet

I still cannot believe that this album was recorded on magnetic (analogue) tape - wtf.... we are not in the 80's (the production of the Maiden's albums in that era was superb though), the technologies are much more developed by now (and by then, in 2003). Ahhh, you bloody caveman. Though, I think DOD mixing is alright, not so good, but also not that bad. The best production that Kevin Shirley has done in Maiden is on the BNW album (AMOLAD comes close... and TBOS is also great). DOD and TFF have some remarks. Although AMOLAD was not mastered, it sounds really well.

On a related note, here are the 10 best produced Maiden songs according to ''The Caveman'' itself -> https://www.loudersound.com/feature...den-songs-that-i-ve-produced-by-kevin-shirley

He also included BNW album for his list of albums that changed his life -> https://www.loudersound.com/features/kevin-shirley-the-12-records-that-changed-my-life :

This is the first album I produced for Iron Maiden. To be honest, I was apprehensive about working with them. I seem to be the only boy who didn’t grow up listening to them, and so I didn’t know their music at all. And when they asked me to produce them, I wasn’t sure that their career had not run its course.

But I am so grateful that they did ask me, as it began a very satisfying relationship of nearly 20 years now. It’s been so great to work with them, and it’s truly wonderful to see them more successful than ever, flying around in their own 747. Honestly, it could not happen to a nicer bunch of people. And by the way, they’re the best live act I’ve ever seen.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    NickosRightFoot likes this.
  3. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Why is a three year old topic kicked back to live by articles that are three years old and that were posted on this forum before?

Answer:
    Kalata

Ariana and Night Prowler like this.
  4. Zare

Zare sorry Zed

Can I reply to something about tapes and tape recording :D

5. srfc

srfc Ancient Mariner

it's not the 10 best produced songs, it's the 10 best songs from the era that he was the producer.

6. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Well, theres so many more modern threads that are full of absolute muck these days (hence the disappearance of that Cried fucker) that this bump is ok to me.
    Nice articles. I did not know that Shirley worked on the Silverchair album, Frogstomp. Fuckin thing was on heavy rotation back in the day. Cant remember the name of the good song and dont want to inflict the whole album on myself so if anyone remembers the hit, go on tell me. Bush were also good for 5 minutes.

NickosRightFoot likes this.
  7. Kalata

I added this two articles as a bonus to my comment. I can't think of appropriate thread for them. I doubt that they were posted before, but anyway, it seems that they were useful for @Niall Kielt and that makes your comment just a simple trolling. If you do not have something to say about the DOD production/mixing then you can skip it, not trying to be interesting. It is as simple as that.
    Ops. My bad. :facepalm:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBazzaSued Staff Member

They are rare hidden gems.

Mosh, Ariana, Forostar and 2 others like this.
  9. Kalata

*smarty pants*

10. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

So your mission is achieved when at least one person has not seen something before?

Shall we post the whole internet here then? That's allowed according to your theory.

You sir have trolling style of posting. As long as everything is allowed here, I am forced to ignore these fucking teenagers. Which is annoying, because it confuses discussions, and I miss the good posts as well.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Ariana likes this.
  11. Kalata

This is nonsenses. My posts have never been trolling, but yours are that. And mission? It's good that some people find these articles useful/interesting - and since there is not a separate thread for Kevin Shirley or so, I thought this the best place to post them. As I said, I doubt that they were posted before. And instead of talking about the DOD production you trolls with your comment and tries to be interesting. It has so many meaningless threads around, and sharing two articles that are I'm sure not many people have seen before is your fucking problem? I sense personal attitude from you to me (not for the first time). Which is sad, because we are all Maiden fans and we should have more fun when we talk about our favorite band in a Maiden forum. Have more fun, guys.

12. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Let's try.

13. KidInTheDark666

KidInTheDark666 The island where the souls of dead are reborn

So you think that young fans are a problem here? And how do you even know his age?

14. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

On topic: does anyone know of a good remix of DoD? Saw Travis’s post earlier here but there didn’t seem to be any link to anything.