Creepy Maiden lyrics

Does anyone out there find "Fear of the Dark" creepy? I mean, it's probably the most obvious creepy Maiden song, but I don't find it that bad, although the "walking a dark road" bit really evokes the feeling. As I've posted elsewhere, I think NOTB tries to be creepy and fails miserably. Passchendale's "get to see my dead friend soon" is also favorite on the creep-o-meter.

But the winner for me remains Still Life. Quintessential creepy, quintessential Maiden.

Faces beckoning from dark depths, calling spirits that won't leave you be, nightmares coming all the time, something drawing him to the pool, something that entices murder/suicide.

I don't know Black Thunder, you either don't know the words to Still Life, or you are one bad dude!

LOL!

I know the words, but I don't pay very much attention to them, but for Maiden standards, Still Life is INDEED creepy. Either that or that "bad dude" description fits me more than ever.  B)

Also, when I was younger, I was afraid of Stained Class LP...  :(

Black Thunder said:

I was too, but that's because the media told me if I listened to it I'd automatically commit suicide.  ::)

Black Thunder said:
I was just about to ask why, but Chartwell's post made me realize what you meant.

Black Thunder said:
Oh  I had a feeling it was that one. I'm not too familiar with all the lyrics to that one.

Chartwell said:
I was too, but that's because the media told me if I listened to it I'd automatically commit suicide.   ::)

Beyond the Realms of Death is damn creepy.

I think he's talking about this:
Wikipedia said:
An unfortunate legacy of Stained Class is the 1990 civil action brought against the band by the family of a teenager, James Vance, who entered a suicide pact with his friend Ray Belknap after listening to "Better By You, Better Than Me" on December 23, 1985. Belknap succeeded in killing himself, and Vance was left horribly disfigured. The suit alleged that the band recorded subliminal messages on the song that said "do it". The suit was eventually dismissed.

OK, to set the record straight, I was never afraid of Stained Class. Painkiller, on the other hand, was pretty frightening.

Coming back to Maiden creepiness, however, I think one of the macabre lines they've ever done is "the body bags and little rags of children torn in two."

I also like "if he had lived he would have crucified us all."

Perhaps not that creepy, but I think pitch perfect, "a silent death lies waiting for all of you below, running silent running deep, sink into your final sleep."

^Back to the Priest thing, that was such a stupid case. Even if there was a subliminal message saying "Do it", how do they know it was telling the listener to commit suicide? Rob could have been saying "Do it (make me a sandwich!)" for all they know :lol:

Anyway, I think Still Life is probably the creepiest song.

I've listened to Stained Class three times now, and I have yet to hear "Do" It on that song.

Back