Crazy news 'round the globe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, the video evidence alone shows us exactly what happened, so I guess if you're a moron or you think there were deepfakes out literally 2 minutes after the explosion...this was an accident caused by corruption and laziness, and not malicious in nature.

Pretty much. From what I've been seeing the place was old and poorly maintained.

Pretty much. From what I've been seeing the place was old and poorly maintained.
Right, plus it sounds like there was a few thousand tonnes of ammonium nitrate in a warehouse, it was known and nobody did anything about it. The thing is that as ammonium nitrate sits in open air, it slowly solidifies and becomes significantly more explosive. IE, it naturally decomposes into a highly destructive form. So any fire nearby...boom. Which is exactly what happened in Beirut.

Some idiots online are claiming there was a nuke involved, which is...flabbergastingly stupid.

Yeah, isn't the shittiest nuke today still like 30x more powerful than the ones used in WWII?

I think that stems from some Lebanese officials saying dumb stuff like this is our Hiroshima or whatever.
Well, that and the internet being full of idiots, assuming that the only way to have a decently large explosion is ISLAMIC TERRORISM. Also some orange guy kept saying it's an attack.

Well, that and the internet being full of idiots, assuming that the only way to have a decently large explosion is ISLAMIC TERRORISM. Also some orange guy kept saying it's an attack.
THIS. All other leaders/reports said "incident" or "accident" and then the oompa loompa starts yapping about an "attack." good god.

Yeah, isn't the shittiest nuke today still like 30x more powerful than the ones used in WWII?

Like why even use a nuke to cause that explosion, it's like using a ferrari to go down the shops for a pint of milk

I put this here, because I don't want to derail from the election discussions in the US thread and many people consider it "crazy"
Donald Trump is banning Chinese owned apps Tik Tok and Wechat, essetianlly the Chinese versions of Vine and Whats App. The video I'm linking talks about the legality of it and how Trump is arguing national security and the banning of specific companies, rather than saying they're suppressing free speech.

I have to say I agree that it seems legit not wanting to be spied on by the Chinese, after all we already have the FBI and NSA doing that. The video also mentions how the Chinese government has basically recruited all their citizens into becoming spies for them encouraging them to gain information of foreign nationals. THIS I found more funny than shocking, because I already knew, but my GF loves to argue with me about it. She has a couple of Chinese friends she talks to through WeChat and I can't help roll my eyes whens she tells me, "My friends in China say they love it there and that they love working at their jobs and that their government is great because they built a town right by their job so it is super convinient for them."
I'm like, "riiiiight, did she also tell you about the suicide nets? or how she HAS TO say that because BOTH of you are being spied on by the government and any sign of dessent will get her jailed at best "disappeared" at worst?" It's not until I show her these type of articles or videos where she starts to see just how restricted Chinese citizens really are.

It's still a different bias to the other traditional British press. It's just I'm sure it used to be quite centrist and reasonably impartial, just 'straight' news and far less wordy and worthy than the Guardian. It seems to be leaning towards left-of-centre scaremongering now, though, probably to make the most of online shares and hits. I fact check Independent stuff regularly. It's rarely completely wrong, but it's often completely overplaying something.

I always saw the Independent as a reliable centre-left newspaper even though it was founded by Boris Johnson’s next father-in-law, but it has been owned by Tory donor Lebedev (and thanks to Boris now a member of the House of Lords) since 2017. That could explain the shift in focus...

Is that worse than the page 3 girl "tradition?"
Nope, but it's gone from a reliable straight news newspaper to focusing on silly knee jerk headlines online. That leaves very few national titles that don't do that

Nope, but it's gone from a reliable straight news newspaper to focusing on silly knee jerk headlines online. That leaves very few national titles that don't do that

This problem is not unique to the UK, There has been a trend in the past.... 20 years of newspapers having to "adapt" to compete with internet news and keep sales up. Truly sad.

I know. The point I'm making is that the Independent is still widely thought of as being one of the more respctable media outlets that doesn't do this. People often share their articles with the opinion that 'if it's in an Independent headline, it must be accurate'. They were a preferable read to the Guardian, who are incredibly highbrow and worthy.

Nah, we can make nukes that fit in briefcase and have 100 times less yield than WW2 ones. See "Davy Crockett".

There used to be a website where you could try out nuking various areas according to the power of actual bombs available. I was able to destroy the town centre of the town I used the live in, and the fallout wasn't expected to reach my house.

I know. The point I'm making is that the Independent is still widely thought of as being one of the more respctable media outlets that doesn't do this. People often share their articles with the opinion that 'if it's in an Independent headline, it must be accurate'. They were a preferable read to the Guardian, who are incredibly highbrow and worthy.

I guess that this would apply to iNews nowadays (The I, sister paper of The Independent): accurate news that can be digested in the daily commute but not having to make the effort to read The Guardian (not that I think that reading the latter is particularly highbrow though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back