Countdown to Senjutsu. 17 albums in 17 days.

Thoughts on FOTD.

• The production is a big improvement over NPFTD
  • I don't mind the reverb on the snare. Birch had to because of Steve's tiny studio
  • Janick does his best solo work
  • Bruce's snarly vocals are more controlled here although still annoying in places
  • BQOBD sounds like Maiden's response to Priest's Painkiller. Like "yeah we can do speed metal too y'know?"
  • FHTE is an enjoyable rocker
  • ATSS could be this album's secret weapon. And also the only Maiden song that Blaze sung better (the live version on BOTB.)
  • FITK starts well then loses the plot quickly. Especially on the jazz fusion section
  • Childhoods End is massively underrated. I love the celtic rhythm and melody
  • Wasting Love isn't bad it's just a bit misplaced
  • The Fugitive is a bit naff
  • COM sounds like Maiden trying to be Motley Crue. It doesn't work
  • The Apparition should be called The Abomination
  • JBMG is brilliant and should be a live classic by now
  • Weekend Warrior is an utter bore-fest
  • FOTD is similar to HBTN in that it's a classic but better live
There's an easy way to fix FOTD. Remove The Fugitive, The Apparition and Weekend Warrior and you probably have a top ten Maiden album. Go one further and remove COM and you definitely have a top ten Maiden album. I still can't quite figure why they left so many obvious b-sides on the album other than it was the CD era and labels were pushing bands to squeeze more songs on.

Anyway, a sometimes enjoyable listen nonetheless and a step up from the last one. The best album they put out in the 90's. Bye Martin, we miss you. Bye Bruce, we'll see you again two albums down the road.

Hello Blaze.

@srfc Where there different colored texts for original FOTD-albums?
I have this 1992 edition and the cd has red text:
View attachment 16702
Never actually noticed this before, for some reason.

And I checked some more, European 1992 edition has yellow text:

Interesting!

I actually had that Holland one as the original CD I owned of FOTD. At some stage I decided to replace any that weren't UK presses with the UK press.

I got my new phone today, and Fear of the Dark holds the distinction of being the first album played on it.

This is an odd one. This album has high highs, and low lows. Let's take it from the top.

This album starts of promising with a fast rocker, a straightforward rocker, and a glorious war opera that sets the scene slowly, then goes all out, and then back again.

But then, the album starts to sound almost like it feels to have been awake for 30 hours. It's as if Fear is the Key runs on fumes, and Childhood's End is just winging it. But I will say that the solo transition between Janick Gers and Dave Murray is a brie, but a great flash of excellency here.

Wasting Love is a song that I think needs an acquired taste for it. I didn't care much about this song, but I got completely stuck on it the other year. It's a frequently recurring song nowadays. I like how the song title sounds slightly differently delivered each time it's sung.

I said about Tailgunner that it was what you'd receive if you ordered Aces High from Wish. I won't be this harsh against The Fugitive while comparing it to The Prisoner. The music slowing down during the chorus kills much of the momentum this song could have had. This song manages to not be in heaven, nor in hell - but comfortably in a purgatory.

The Fugitive isn't the only song lying comfortably there. I'd say the same about Chains of Misery and The Apparition. Are they great songs? Not necessarily. Are they bad songs? Not necessarily.

Judas Be My Guide is also a song that has brief flashes of great excellency, thanks to Dave Murray. I'm not really too fond of it, because I don't understand the lyrics and all the symbolism involved here at all.

Weekend Warrior is a song that gets shat on a lot. I'll be honest and say that this is a track I enjoy. It's one of my favourite tracks in the album. I like the way the lyrics are set up, and the ways they go as the story evolves. The undistorted guitar in its places is a nice spice to the song. It's a very esoteric song that manages to work alright with me.

What can I say about Fear of the Dark that I anyone hasn't already said? It's a gateway song into heavy metal and Iron Maiden. Good melodies, good storytelling, and good transitions between the parts that make this song up.

I enjoy the overall sound of this album. This album sounds heads and shoulders better than No Prayer for the Dying. The drums have a very good thud to them. The guitars manages to sound both crisp and crunchy. The bass is well apparent and defined as usual, and Bruce sounds very mature in parts

It's only a shame that it's a long streak of "oh well... maybe, maybe not" sounding songs.

Day 10!

X Factor is my least favourite Maiden album, and it's not particularly close. It's a slow, lethargic affair that has some interesting music but frequently takes too long to get to it. At its worst, it has a depressing lack of energy uncharacteristic of the band.

That's a pretty damning assessment of the album, but I do have some positives. Sign of the Cross is a good song, and great live. The Edge of Darkness is a fantastic song that escapes the trappings of the rest of the album, and I really like Judgement of Heaven. Lord of the Flies, Man On The Edge, and The Unbeliever are all decent, if uninspiring, songs.

The rest of the album brings it down for me. Blood on the World's Hands starts off interesting but soon begins to bore. I couldn't pick out any of 2AM, Fortunes of War, Look For The Truth, or The Aftermath from a lineup based on the first half of each song. They have some interesting bits in the latter half of the song, but I'm bored long before I get there.

A disappointing album, all told, but still has some highlights.

Day 10!

X Factor is my least favourite Maiden album, and it's not particularly close. It's a slow, lethargic affair that has some interesting music but frequently takes too long to get to it. At its worst, it has a depressing lack of energy uncharacteristic of the band.

That's a pretty damning assessment of the album, but I do have some positives. Sign of the Cross is a good song, and great live. The Edge of Darkness is a fantastic song that escapes the trappings of the rest of the album, and I really like Judgement of Heaven. Lord of the Flies, Man On The Edge, and The Unbeliever are all decent, if uninspiring, songs.

The rest of the album brings it down for me. Blood on the World's Hands starts off interesting but soon begins to bore. I couldn't pick out any of 2AM, Fortunes of War, Look For The Truth, or The Aftermath from a lineup based on the first half of each song. They have some interesting bits in the latter half of the song, but I'm bored long before I get there.

A disappointing album, all told, but still has some highlights.
As we say in France : "les goûts et les couleurs..." For me, it's one of the best Maiden albums. The songs are really well written and inspired, but the problem mainly resides into the production and the change of singer. Blaze is not Bruce, that's what the fans who dislike this album and the next one are particularly angry about. IMHO, Blaze did a great job in studio during his time with the band. His tenebrous voice fits perfectly to the dark songs on 'The X Factor' and still does on 'Virtual XI'. If these two records had a similar sound as 'Brave New World', for example, they would have been less criticized and more appreciated. And "cerise sur le gâteau", if Bruce have sung on these two very underrated CDs, Maiden fans would be less critical or fussy with this band's era.

I like X-Factor. There are some great songs imho. Sign of the cross is one of the 3-4 best Maiden songs. Man on the edge is good, Lotf is a great rocker following Judas be my guide tradition. Fortunes of war, Look For The Truth and The Edge of darkness are also great. Maiden are very melodic on this one. Bands most ΄΄Steve Harris album΄΄ and one of the 3 best albums they have delivered after the Seventh Son.

As we say in France : "les goûts et les couleurs..." For me, it's one of the best Maiden albums. The songs are really well written and inspired, but the problem mainly resides into the production and the change of singer. Blaze is not Bruce, that's what the fans who dislike this album and the next one are particularly angry about. IMHO, Blaze did a great job in studio during his time with the band. His tenebrous voice fits perfectly to the dark songs on 'The X Factor' and still does on 'Virtual XI'. If these two records had a similar sound as 'Brave New World', for example, they would have been less criticized and more appreciated. And "cerise sur le gâteau", if Bruce have sung on these two very underrated CDs, Maiden fans would be less critical or fussy with this band's era.
You've said a lot about Blaze, but I said nothing.

That was for a reason - Blaze isn't the problem here. I just think the songs are boring.

I have a significantly higher opinion of Virtual XI because, regardless of anything else, the songs are lively again.

You've said a lot about Blaze, but I said nothing.

That was for a reason - Blaze isn't the problem here. I just think the songs are boring.

I have a significantly higher opinion of Virtual XI because, regardless of anything else, the songs are lively again.
I never written that you've had some problems with Blaze, I just wrote that most of the fans don't like this album because of Blaze and the bad production. ;)

The X Factor.
I bought this late in the winter of '97/'98, unfunnily enough after a recent split with a girlfriend. So, feeling like shit, Harris and co work to make me feel even worse(it's probably deserved).
If this late acquirement didn't constitute me as being ex-Maiden, I certainly became an ex afterward. This cd really didn't go down well.

Now listening to the reissued vinyl and it's okay. A quick test against the cd and they've cleaned up a little. Some nice musical passages and ideas. I've always liked the long tracks, Sign and Unbeliever, with Lord, Man and Darkness enjoyable.

As the Maiden discography edges closer towards it's finite status, we can study earlier output away from the initial rush, reaching new conclusions. This benefits a bit but it's a bleak one, and won't visit my turntable often.

No need to highlight it's main problem.

Last edited:
Day 10 finished! The X Factor

I dont like this album very much. Its a hard listen. The production, the songs, Blaze and the stuff Steve is writing. It dont do it for me. Maybe I need more time with it, but I doubt it will grow. I find it very hard to listen to, and I have a hard time sperating the songs from each other. And I have a hard time remembering the album after ive heard it. It blends together.
It dont sound so exciting, the band sound lost. There are some good momenets and I really love Sign of the Cross (Live with Bruce.)
And normally I kinda like darker stuff, depressing stuff. But this dosent do it for me. Of course its still Iron Maiden, but its not for me.

1,5/5 for me. Rating can change at times. But I gave Prayer and Fear 2,5 so giving this 2 feels like to high, cuz I really prefer Prayer and Fear of the Dark over this

Thoughts on TXF.

• The production sounds like a demo
  • Where are the guitars?
  • Does Steve know you can do more than one vocal take?
  • Oh boy
  • SOTC, MOTE and LOTF are all good but have been performed much better live
  • The Aftermath, LFTT and 2AM all have potential but are let down by the production and performances
  • The rest of the songs just seem to blend in to each other
  • Far too many slow bass intros
  • They should have written these songs around Blaze's more limited range instead of asking him to scream and break his voice
  • "Here is the DREEEEEEeeeeeeAAAAaaaAAAAmmmMMMMMM!" Oh my poor ears
Yeah, that was a bit of a chore. This album feels twice as long as it already is. Ultimately TXF is a collection of mostly good songs let down by poor production, performances and arrangements. It's like if The Beatles handed all their music over to the Kaiser Chiefs. This is what happens with Steve gets 100% control in the studio. There's no Bruce there to keep his worst indulgences in check. I don't want to pin the blame on Blaze but it has to be said that some of his vocal takes are horrendous. He's constantly flat and sometimes just all over the place. No vocal control at all. It's as if Steve was happy with those takes and just went "next!"

I'm glad that's over. This is 100% my least favourite Maiden album. VXI might have a worse reputation but that's at least more fun to listen to.

The X Factor
First off, it’s not really Blaze Bayley’s fault. This album is not good. Steve was clearly going through a rough time and it shows in every single song, even the good ones. It’s plodding, it’s droning, it’s endlessly dull and repetitive, it’s sounds flat and hollow, and it’s just way too damn long.

The first three tracks are all great, with Sign of the Cross being an absolute classic. From there, however, we just continue to go downhill for what feels like a seven-hour album. I don’t enjoy listening to this album and that’s really a terrible statement for a band that generally inspires pure sonic joy.

Back