Countdown to Senjutsu. 17 albums in 17 days.

Not sure if we were allowed to or not, but I put this on while I went out for my walking/pathetic jogging round. Below are some thoughts and impressions I had during it.

I never thought that I'd be moved back in time to another location by this album. I remember when I was listening to this album on a rotation a while some 9-10 years ago. This took me back to the basement/cellar/whatever the appropriate word would be in an apartment house complex sense.

Before I continue, let me just say that I did name this spoiler "rambling review". If you read this and think "what the fuck is this guy rambling on about?", don't tell me that you weren't warned. As far as anyone tee-totaling anything already released regarding Senjutsu until the full album is released next Friday, don't tell me that you weren't warned either.

I don't think that there's anything inherently bad about anyone wanting to go back and revisit their roots. On the contrary, I believe that it can be good. But there is difference between going back and revisiting ones roots, and one turning back the clock of themselves.

It's a difference between sitting and reminiscing with friends from high school about sitting outside of the high school entrance and shooting the shit during class breaks when we were 15-18 years old, and to actually sit outside of ones high school entrance and shooting the shit during class break time on a weekday when you are edging at 30 years old. You know what I mean?

Well, this album sounds like something stuck in the middle.

The stuff I really like about this album are few and far between. But they are there.
I am admirer of the concept of criticizing and satirizing society. Holy Smoke is a cool song in my book. It walks a good balance between satire and showing the long finger to religious abusers. I used to loop Dave Murray's solo back then.
No Prayer for the Dying happens to still be one of my favourite title tracks.
The lyrics of Fates Warning have some faint echoes of what made the prior album so great in its lyrical theme.
The outro to Run Silent Running Deep ís one of the best moments of the album.
Say what you want about Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter, but it's got a good flow and energy throughout.
I never realize just how tight of a song Mother Russia is - at least the first two minutes and thirty-five seconds of it.

The rhythmic parts of some of the songs during the solos are are well carried and executed. I think this in particular about Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter. As much as I absolutely love the song Stratego from the upcoming album, I wish they had deployed some of that thinking into the solo part of Stratego.

This album has to be the one that contains the most stuff I dislike the most.
Tailgunner is what you get if you buy Aces High from Wish.
While I may be an admirer of the concept of criticizing and satirizing society, the execution of this concept sometimes falls on its sword. What kind of line/title is Public Enema Number One anyway? Reading the lyrics of that song in 2021 is like when I watched Kevin Spacey in American Beauty last year. Did it age like wine? Or did it age like milk?
Could The Assassin be the worst song in their catalogue? That chorus is such an ear sore.
There's a thin line of being tongue-in-cheeky, or cheeky in general - and being an edgelord. Hooks in You tried so hard and failed so hard.
As much as I complimented Mother Russia, it really loses it plot in those musical parts from 2:35 until the chorus comes back. What a mismatch.

I've also decided to do away with the album rankings for the remainder, as it turned to be more of a subject to change than my socks. Tons of subjectivity sneaked into my attempts to make an objective listing. It's good that I don't need to be a professional chef to know what tastes good and what tastes like shit, but I'm not going to act as if my impressions are professional takes either.

Last edited:
And now for something completely different
View attachment 16674
Hahahaha that's the least happy I've seen Dave Murray look

Never before so many skips in one disc
The bigger bulk of this albums are not songs I actively seek out to listen, or include in any playlist at all. But I enjoy the concept of this countdown so much that I'll give it all an uninterrupted listen on any given day. I used to be someone who listened to albums, but then I discovered podcasts and lost that time to put on that attention and effort. My music listening normally consists of playlist dumps played on shuffle while commuting or while working.

NPFTD is one of the 3 worst Maiden albums (along with Virtual XI and FF). It would be good for almost any other band. I like the title track and Mother Russia, It s sounds is quite close to FOTD in terms of musical style.

I find No Prayer to be a wonderful album.
It has great energy. great melodies, sound and tone is good.

Favourite songs off that album are:
No Prayer for the Dying
Public Enema Number 1
Run Silent Run Deep
Bring your Daughter
Mother Russia
Hooks in you
Fates Warning

I'm not such a fan of Tailgunner, or The Assassin
Both The Assassin and Tailgunner are let down big time by their chorus.

Dickinson goes raspy a few times on versus but it sound pretty good.
I don't understand why many people don't like this album, I find it really fun.

I find No Prayer to be a wonderful album.
It has great energy. great melodies, sound and tone is good.

Favourite songs off that album are:
No Prayer for the Dying
Public Enema Number 1
Run Silent Run Deep
Bring your Daughter
Mother Russia
Hooks in you
Fates Warning

I'm not such a fan of Tailgunner, or The Assassin
Both The Assassin and Tailgunner are let down big time by their chorus.

Dickinson goes raspy a few times on versus but it sound pretty good.
I don't understand why many people don't like this album, I find it really fun.
“Energy” is a good word to use for No Prayer. It’s a very energetic and fun album and I don’t think there’s a single bad song on it. I think, as an album, it’s better than Fear of the Dahk.

Last edited:
Fear of the Dark.

We're into the double vinyls and there's a feminization to the sound, complete with Def Leppard snare and touchy feely lyrics about love 'n' stuff. No wonder my 1992 self, thrashing out to Pantera and the like, baulked.
Nowadays it's a fun listen, mostly enjoyable, although I rate it below the first gr8 and the first 4 reunion lps.

A favorite - Weekend Warrior, a least favorite – the title track.

Day 9 finished! Fear of the Dark

One of the hardest Maiden albums to listen to. Feels like so many songs, and some that are pretty bad and some that are really good. Such ups and downs, wich makes it alot harder then Prayer listening to. This is an album I almost never listen to from start to finish.

Cover and production is better then Prayer imo.
Be Quick, Eternity, Strangers, Judas and the title track are the only songs I really consider great here. And the rest or just kinda meh or bad. And comparing the songs that I find great with the really great Maiden songs, then this album dont compare. But of course its not always fair to compare, times are different. Its a different band here.
At least this album makes me so happy that Maiden found their way back in 2000. And that they grew and learned from this. And it is different music. Its not the same album every time. And that is something good, even if not everything they put out is amazing.

So I accept the album for what it is. And give it a 2,5/5 just like Prayer. At times it can get 3, but not as a whole like this. Not after hearing Apparition and Weekend.

Day 9!
download-jpg.16695

I think Fear of the Dark is continually underrated. That's true for both the album and the title track which is, as far as I'm concerned, one of the best songs the band ever wrote and the absolute highlight of any live set. Afraid to Shoot Strangers is, I think, a deserved classic at this point, and I'm happy to see Judas Be My Guide getting the plaudits it deserves.

Beyond the obvious choices though, I think there's a lot to love here depending on how far you're willing to branch out. From Here To Eternity, Chains of Misery, and Weekend Warrior may not be the galloping Maiden we expect, but they're honest to goodness solid hard rock songs which the album is better for having. Who cares that Wasting Love uses the forbidden L word? It's a damn good song. The Apparition is a hard sell, but I've grown fond of it. Just don't ask me why! :p

I've (mostly) saved the more straightforward parts of the album until last because I find the more experimental side of the album more interesting. That said, The Fugitive is a really good song. Be Quick Or Be Dead would be if Bruce didn't sound like he was vomiting in parts of it. I think Fear is the Key into Childhood's End is the low point of the album, but honestly, I don't mind the songs. I just don't find them too special.

Given how experimental (and long) the album is, I've always found it a fun game to choose your favourite 8 songs off of the album, and think about how you'd rate that. For example, I'd end up with an album looking like:

1 - From Here To Eternity
2 - Afraid To Shoot Strangers
3 - Wasting Love
4 - The Fugitive
5 - Chains Of Misery
6 - Judas Be My Guide
7 - Weekend Warrior
8 - Fear of the Dark

I'd rate this extremely highly - but then, I think the original album is a contender for Top 5.

There ARE people who voted 10 for it you know

The first album that was released when I was already a fan, didn't buy it though, a new release was too dear for a 12 year old when you could just copy it off your mate instead

Fear of the Dark.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh, so close to finding someone else on the planet who actually likes The Apparition. It seems I might still be in the club of one since I'm not sure being "fond" counts:help2:
Never fear, Diesel is here! “The Apparition” has been in my Top 20 Maiden songs for years now. If I were to rank them all again (which I probably will when Senjutsu is out), I’m not sure if it’ll still be there, but that’s only because Maiden are fantastic songwriters with numerous masterpieces.

I think the big criticisms of the song are its wordy, and very off-kilt nature. It’s entirely unique in the catalogue though. No other song sounds half as whack as this one, and I think it’s so endearing in that way. It’s not Bruce’s best vocal performance, it’s not Steve’s best lyrics, it’s not their best structure, but it’s captivating. I could critique this song in theory all day, but when I actually listen to it, I’m drawn right in and have the time of my life. It’s weird, and that’s what makes it so special to me. Second best song on FOTD, just behind “Judas Be My Guide”, and doesn’t deserve the hate it gets, IMO. Love it.

Oooh, so close to finding someone else on the planet who actually likes The Apparition. It seems I might still be in the club of one since I'm not sure being "fond" counts:help2:
I'm not going to gush superlatives about it. It's not one of the bands stronger songs but I've no animosity to it nowadays and I'll happily listen to it.

Fear of the Dark
Every time I hear this one, it's better than I remember. Yes, there is a lot to gripe about: the production, the continued lack of Adrian, Bruce's rasp, and two of the worst songs Maiden has ever recorded...but the remainder is far more interesting than anything on No Prayer. Honestly, I find most of these songs to be good with a couple absolute classics (the title track, ATSS) and some amazingly underrated tunes (BQOBD, Judas, Wasting Love). Even the weird songs like Childhood's End, Fugitive, or Chains of Misery are either pretty great or good fun without being annoying.

Now, unfortunately, we are also saddled with possibly the two worst songs in the Maiden discography. First up, the absolute musical equivalent of anal fissure: The Apparition. A song so bad I'd rather be vomiting. Then there's Weekend Warrior: a song so fucking lame that I'd rather be listening to auto-tuned chipmunk-sounding tween music. Cut these two songs, though, and you get a pretty enjoyable album by a band clearly struggling to stay afloat but doing a much better job than on the previous record (or the following two).

@srfc Where there different colored texts for original FOTD-albums?
I have this 1992 edition and the cd has red text:
R-2788326-1354201917-1975.jpeg[1].jpg
Never actually noticed this before, for some reason.

And I checked some more, European 1992 edition has yellow text:

Interesting!

Back