Countdown to Senjutsu. 17 albums in 17 days.

Thoughts on NOTB.
  • HBTN is monumental (but the live version is better)
Hard disagree on this one. Taking the Flight 666 version as reference, Bruce doesn't hold the "running low" nearly as long as on the studio version, and the phrasing for the verses (particularly on the lyrics "Don't I believe that there never is an end" and "Maybe then you'll begin to understand life down here is just a strange illusion") is completely different. I understand that it makes the word salad much easier to sing, but I love the original phrasing. There's a breathlessness you get from singing along to it and so I find the vocal changes on the live version incredibly jarring.

The Number of the Beast
Here we have a classic Maiden album that is truly a transition record. It features some of the most well-known Maiden songs ever and is great fun. The songwriting takes a huge level up here, although remnants of the early days are still around nagging at the edges of the music like a sniggering teenager. The overall impact of this record cannot be understated: it created the Maiden we know and love (most of us, anyway). It is not perfect, not by a mile (despite what Brian Slagel thinks), but all of the pieces are there and starting to be put into play.

Hallowed might be the best song Maiden has ever done. The title track, Run to the Hills, and Children of the Damned are top tier material, despite being overplayed and a little too silly. The Prisoner, 22 Acacia Avenue, and Total Eclipse are all pretty close to greatness. The fact that the latter was not included on the original pressing is an absolute crime and reveals how lacking in judgment they were at the time. Case in point: the absolutely abysmal Gangland and Invaders. The less said about Gangland, the better. It's just lame and poorly done. Invaders, however, is so fucking stupid I can barely contain my seething hatred. Opening an album with that trash? Absolutely ridiculous. It's a true testament to the quality of the other songs and the performances therein that they could overcome such an abortion of a first impression.

The Number of the Beast
  • Invaders: yikes, let's not waste many words on this abomination of an opener
  • Children of the Damned: one of my all-time favorites...everything on this one is cohesive, thanks largely to Clive
  • The Prisoner: heavy and profound hook...believe this should have been the open to the album, especially to introduce air raid siren
  • 22: not much good to say about this one other than the breakdown, the lyrics are uninteresting and quite desperate in a cringe way
  • NOTB: hell yeah
  • RTTH: vintage gallop, solo shreds...Clive's prominent drums during the buildup are my personal favorite
  • Gangland: doesn't belong...A-side or B-side :spam2:
  • HBTN: best song they've put out at this juncture, truly incredible what follows this
Final Verdict: 9/10

Piece Of Mind

Nicko gives everyone a jolly good kick up the backside and helps them produce one of the finest records of their career.
It's a perfect marriage between the neanderthal aggression of the sound that this thing makes coupled with the intricate intelligence of the music and its performance. It bludgeons whilst intrigues.

The prog from the Di'anno era is back, this time going stratospheric. Some commerciality is retained with 45's Icarus and Trooper but now kept firmly metal side up.
Quest may seem a low point, but it's a light interlude which I always enjoy.
The only gatefold for a single lp.

Listening to this again was a complete joy. This was the album where Maiden finally reached the top of my tree. I thinks it's one of the greatest metal records of all time. The gig was superb too.

Album #4!

I enjoyed Piece of Mind a lot more than usual this sitting. There's always a lot to enjoy, mind. The Trooper and Flight of Icarus are two of the best short songs the band has ever done, and Revelations is a gorgeous longer song. I probably don't put Where Eagles Dare on the same pedestal as most, but it's still great, and Die With Your Boots On is good fun. All in all, it's one of the strongest starts to any Maiden album.

Where I usually lose a little interest is in the tail end of the album. None of the songs here are bad but none are standouts either, though I've a soft spot for Sun and Steel. Overall I think the album would benefit from a reordering.

Day 4 finished! The amazing Piece of Mind

Its a 5/5 for me. The sound, the album cover, the songs, Nicko in the band. Its all a perfect match. Maybe as songs I prefer some tracks on Beast but as a whole I prefer Piece of Mind. That fucking opening with Eagles, going into Revelations and then Icarus, boots and Trooper. It just dosent stop. Song after songs just kicks ass. And I love Still Life. Such a cool and special track.
Love this album!

Thoughts on Piece of Mind.

• It has the best straight run of songs of probably the entire Maiden catalogue (from WED to SL)
  • DWYBO should have opened the album
  • Side B is far more energetic than Side A
  • The production seems thinner compared to NOTB. This might be as a result of using a cheaper studio
  • I don't like how the guitars sound like they're coming through a transistor radio
  • Sun and Steel is awesome
  • Quest for Fire is a bit silly
  • TTAL is uneven. It's like listening to the prototype SSOASS. I think they managed the instrumental back half more successfully on that song
  • Never let anyone tell you that The Trooper is overrated
  • The album could potentially work better by starting with Side B
While POM is probably my least favourite of the 80's classic line-up era, there's no denying how strong of an album it is. I really ought to play Side B more often as I feel, Trooper aside, that those songs are undervalued.

Piece of Mind
The previous record introduced us to the real Iron Maiden, but this one perfects the style. Nicko truly adds a new dimension to the band and it feels like the missing link they needed all along. As others have said, the first six songs are bulletproof. Boots and Still Life aren’t perfect, but they are just so damn solid and contribute to a fantastic run of tunes.

The band is at the top of their game here. Bruce arrives and contributes to some of the best songs both here and ever. Unfortunately, Side B completely drops off. The last three songs aren’t terrible, but the quality is severely lesser than the opening 2/3’s. Even when this record is silly, though, there’s nothing I dislike as much as the bad songs on the first three albums. I enjoy POM more and more every time I hear it.

Powerslave.

Everyone loves this don't they, Maiden's golden child?
Back in 1984, even my non-metal mates were boppin' to this.
Even girls, who'd usually run screaming from me and my music would stay a little and nod in slight agreement, before I lost it, made a move and they reverted to type.

Only overexposure can really put any damper on this, and whilst it's true that it feels a bit weak in the middle, it's only because the top and tail are so strong. 2Mins is probably the best track they ever recorded and Rime is THE epic, the benchmark to which others will forever be held against(and lose). Aces and Powerslave are massive too. If the inbetweeners were on other records they'd shine very brightly.

I'm listening to all these on original vinyls(until Blaze) and it makes a huge difference. The final chord of Powerslave followed almost immediately by the lead in and chug of Rime is so good, nostalgic of course, but before you can think, “Can I spare 14 minutes?” you're in! It's a magical moment in the Maiden canon.

Paid closer attention to Nicko on this listen through, which pays off.
With a more commercial bent than Piece, though not as poppy as Beast, it's perfectly balanced. Personally, I prefer Piece this time around.

Last edited:
Day #5!

I'll confess to having referred to Powerslave as Fillerslave before. It's partly tongue-in-cheek, and partly pushback against the idea the album is perfect. In truth, it's somewhere in between. Powerslave is a little uneven, but it's harsh to call the worse tracks filler. They're simply victims of how good the best parts of the album are.

By my money, that best part is the title track. I have exactly one complaint about Powerslave, and that's the fact its intro has been moved to the outro of Back in the Village in my recording. Otherwise, it's a perfect song, easily one of the bands best. Aces High is fantastic too. Rime of the Ancient Mariner is, I think, just a little overrated, but understandably so. It's a wonderful song that feels about half the length it actually is. 2 Minutes to Midnight and Flash of the Blade are the other two standouts here, in my opinion.

I'm less enamoured with the other three songs, but all are enjoyable enough to listen to. The Duellists has a fantastic instrumental section, though I'm less sold on the rest of the song. I like Loss Fer Words, but I prefer its cameo in The Book of Souls. I don't really have any particular thoughts on Back in the Village, as it's probably the song that stands out the least to me. Fun though.

Going through some withdrawal (not for anything as bad as it sounds), I was not in the mood to do anything at all beside lay in fetal position the past couple of days. If trying to do away with sugar and excessive carbs is this bad, God forbid if I'd ever decide to do away with nicotine.

I ended up catching up with The Number of the Beast yesterday, along with Piece of Mind and Powerslave today.

Not sure if I'm Mandela effecting myself again. But I recall reading that Steve Harris said that Bruce's vocals and singing style what he had hope to have with his music. This is noticeable, as much of this album sounds more like them creating their own shapes than trying to fit in already existing holes. I agree with another member of the forums saying that the chorus of Invaders becoming silly. Even if Gangland isn't a popular song at all, it certainly deserves it's place as the breather break between tie title track and the final track. There's no misunderstanding as to why this album could be hailed as one of their greatest, as it often seems to do. Six very strong tracks, with three of them being anthems of Iron Maiden and heavy metal in general.

1. The Number of the Beast
2. Iron Maiden
3. Killers

As much as I like and appreciate the grooves of Clive Burr on the drums, the intro to Where Eagles Dare makes me grateful that Nicko McBrain has remained the drummer of Iron Maiden since. If spirituality, war, along with life and death can be described as recurring topic in Iron Maiden's catalogue, this is the album that has a bit of everything for everyone. Even if Quest for Fire is the further thing from a masterpiece, I happen to believe that this album in itself is one. The balance of having floating dreamy calmness and the furious blasting in Revelations, the steadily paced rocker in the defiant Flight of Icarus, the face-melting guitars in The Trooper, the eerie theme of Still Life, the digging along to Sun and Steel, with the musical beast that is To Tame a Land, there are few albums that can touch this.

1. Piece of Mind
2. The Number of the Beast
3. Iron Maiden
4. Killers

Has Iron Maiden ever made a better bookended album than this? The first two songs and the last two songs are top-tier material, while everything in between is alright. It starts of with the the absolutely amazing call to war anthem with Aces High that manages to match the speed and the elevation of airborne war. There It is the love-and-hate-letter to war in 2 Minutes to Midnight (mmm that bridge after the solos!).

It's 35+ years since Iron Maiden made an instrumental. Sometimes, I've wonder how it come that they haven't done one since. It wasn't until this listenthrough that I realized that their songs being longer nowadays, and containing extensive instrumental parts, maybe evens it out. Losfer Words is 4:15. The Red and the Black contains almost 6 minutes of just music without any singing.

This may be the first time in several years that I've listened to Flash of the Blade and liking it. I always liked The Duelists, though. Musically, I like Bakc in the Village. Let's just say that I think this one could have benefited from being an instrumental.

I love the storytelling of the title track and the musical parts of it. As much as I also love Rime of the Ancient Mariner, it took me several years to appreciate the hollow interlude in the song.

1. Piece of Mind
2. The Number of the Beast
3. Powerslave
4. Iron Maiden
5. Killers

Day 5 and Powerslave finished!

Another 5/5 for me. Its just a top album. Every song, every part. I dont need or want to change anything. Love the album, the album cover, the production and the songs. Just like Piece of Mind its a flawless album imo. Maiden are on such a peak here.
The album goes by so easy listening to, I can hardly believe how fast those 50 minutes goes. And still the songs sticks with me so hard. I love Flash of the Blades, Duellists and Village. So awesome. And I dont really feel the need to mention Aces High, Powerslave or Rime. They are just perfect songs. Also my three favorite songs on the album.
And God I love Rime on Flight 666, fucking amazing. I wish I was older and could have been there during these albums. That must have been something special.

Whoops, forgot to post POM thoughts yesterday as I was at the football game all day. Here's my notes on POM and PS

Piece of Mind
  • Where Eagles Dare: strongest opener of catalogue so far, Steve's writing has really become polished at this stage. What better way to introduce Nicko and prove that he fits the band?
  • Revelations: dig the juxtaposition between acoustic and electric guitars here and the blend of slow sections with accelerated tempos (Top 10 on my list)
  • Flight of Icarus: excellent storytelling here, had the privilege of seeing this twice during the LOTB tour in '19 (how long ago that feels)
  • Die With Your Boots On: hated this song the first time I ever heard it, but like many of their songs it grew on me and it's now one of my favorites to play on bass, especially that fill underneath Dave's solo!
  • Trooper: never ceases to amaze me how Steve paints an atmosphere of a horse led brigade through his gallop
  • Still Life: underrated track of the album, chilling lyrics set the mood for the rest of the album
  • Quest for Fire: although lyrics can seem rather campy, Steve's blistering low end makes it's presence felt and leads the charge on this track (although I would never seek to listen to it on it's own, I found this enjoyable during the play-through)
  • Sun and Steel: found the lyrics on here more cheesy ("life is like a wheel") however, Dave's solo is tasty
  • To Tame a Land: powerful epic, catchy Eastern flavor...obviously a precursor to Powerslave, always thought it belonged on that album. Glad they fleshed the sound out more on the next album
Final Verdict: 10/10 (this was the most fun listen through for me so far, like a ride you don't want to end)

Powerslave
  • Aces High: unequivocally their best opener, Martin Birch's unmatched production evident from the get-go, love being able to hear Steve's bass distinctly
  • 2 Minutes to Midnight: a one-two punch to open this, and two bloody bangers at that...favorite part is the mid section highlighted by Nicko's drumming prowess :edmetal:
  • Losfer Words: a mindscape instrumental...something you can really sit back and escape listening to, soaring guitars and Steve's heavy clanking
  • Flash of the Blade: underrated track buried by the big 4 on the album...that guitar riff really splinter's the ears, in a good way!
  • The Duelists: call it filler if you want, but this song has tempo from beginning to end and never lets up for a moment (it takes a lot of stamina to play this on bass and that's why I have a bit of a soft spot for it)
  • Back in the Village: cool harkening back to The Prisoner, Bruce's air raid siren is unleashed and those solos are juicy
  • Powerslave: Bruce's magnum opus...vocals are so menacing, that solo section is a separate excursion and IMO their best
  • Rime of the Ancient Mariner: what I enjoy about Steve's epics is the poetry and how it creates an experience, a great benchmark to compare all epics in their catalogue
Final Verdict: 10/10 (how can it get much better than this? some how some way they don't peak)

Back