Countdown to Senjutsu. 17 albums in 17 days.

My turntable is out of action at the moment, which means I can't spin some rare pressings I have for the other albums, wanted to do the Aussie version of Killers tomorrow

Just finished day 1. My thoughts...

Iron Maiden is a fascinating debut for the band. Some of the songs (namely Sanctuary, Running Free and Charlotte the Harlot) are very clearly a product of their time - they work great here, but would feel out of place on any other album except perhaps Killers. At the same time, there is a lot of variety on the album, with several preludes to what the band would become. Phantom of the Opera set the blueprints for the Harris epics to come. Prowler (best song on the album by the way), with its gorgeous guitars and frenetic energy, is a precursor to the likes of Run to the Hills. And am I the only one who thinks Remember Tomorrow could fit on any of the reunion albums? Transylvania and Strange World are less obviously going somewhere, but they're still good songs and give the album a nice variety. I think of the self-titled track as basically the bands theme song at this point, for better or worse.

In any event, a strong album. I hear a lot of complaints about the production, but I don't see any other particular flaws, and I think the rawness fits some of the earlier songs.

new found appreciation for NPFTD lately. especially title track. forgot that i really, really like that song. i've listened completely the following lately: NPFTD, FOTD, SIT, Powerslave and DOD

I played my old EMC3330, bought in '82 and still sounds great amid the occasional pops and crackles.
I'm glad Birch didn't produce this as it gives it a uniqueness.
All songs are strong as are performances. I love Charlotte with its calm centre where Paul shines, and then rips into the hardest riff on the record. It gets quite punky.
Phantom has the additional vocal missing from the more recent picture disk.

Day 1: Iron Maiden

I listened to the 2015 remaster on Spotify.

Some ramblings with new and old thoughts from me during the listen-through:

I used to not like this album particularly much at all. I thought it sounded too muddy for me to enjoy it. It used to be way down in the list of my favourite albums from them because of it. The 2015 remaster was a game changer for this album. Being able to hear the nuances of this more clearly, and Sanctuary being omitted from this raised my enjoyment of this album from start to finish significantly.

I will admit that this is the only album that I still can't figure out who's playing a given solo - at least for the most of it. I didn't manage to guess it this time either. Much can probably also be attributed to me missing this album by a far margin, since I wasn't around at at all for well over a decade since that album was released. For a while, it was much thinking about "well, why should I listen to THAT, when I can listen to THIS?".

While Paul Di'Anno's voice is the one I prefer the least of the three lead singers that Iron Maiden have had since this release, he is a perfect fit for this album. I may prefer the singing styles and the voices of Bruce Dickinson and Blaze Bayley far more, but Paul Di'Anno makes this album sound just right.

I can't even begin to describe blown away I am that the first six songs of this album (their debut, nonetheless) are so varying and such bangers in their own ways.

Charlotte the Harlot will still never be a song I include in any playlist, or a song in general that I will actively search out and listen to. But that's alright. I never appreciated the punches as much I did just now.

If you'd ask me to name a signature song of Iron Maiden, I'd fail to even think of the title track. I'd probably say stuff like The Number of the Beast, Hallowed be thy Name, or The Trooper. I enjoy the lyrics far more than the music on this track.

Listening through this entire album was an enjoyable experience. I think this is my first dedicated listening of this album from start to finish since the 2015 remaster was released on Spotify.

Just finished Iron Maiden for day 1

Good album, short and sweet. It is a classic. I like the production, dont mind it at all. It suits it.
I will never really get into Pauls voice, but nevertheless, its suits this Iron Maiden. I have always liked this album a tiny bit more over Killers. The songs here kinda sticks more with me. Feels better togheter.
Dont like Charlotte the Harlot though. But as a whole Its a fun listen. Hearing the band so young and energic.
It feels youthful and like they have alot ot learn and alot of growing still to do. Buts its a fun and easy ride.
I kinda have a hard time listening to this in a serious way and really feels the music.
But yeah, overall its a good album

3,5/5 stars I might give it

Iron Maiden is a strong debut that has a lot of vibe and holds a special place in my ears. My overall opinion on the album changes all the time, but my take on individual songs remains relatively the same: some very strong material, but not a single "perfect" song. I have been known to rank the first side of this album very high in the past, but after revisiting for the upteenth time for this little trip down memory lane I don't find anything from this (or the follow-up record) to be top-tier.

Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Running Free, and (especially) Phantom of The Opera are all jolly good fun and absolute classics, but are still clunky at their best. Side B falls off, especially with the pretty terrible Charlotte the Harlot and the lame duck title track, but the mood and energy are still present throughout the recording. Di'Anno does a bang-up job, as does most of the band, but this is Steve Harris' arrival and he takes the MVP award. I do think this album is stronger with the added US release track, Sanctuary, which sits right around the same quality as Running Free.

My thoughts on today's playthrough of IM.

• The 2015 remaster sounds punchier
  • The guitars are still too thin though
  • It's a mess. Mistakes and audio errors galore but I guess that's part of the charm
  • Strange World doesn't sound anything like Maiden but I still love it
  • It also doesn't have a chorus which is maybe unique amongst Maiden songs (The Apparition could possibly qualify)
  • Either Dave or Dennis (difficult to tell which) is using a guitar flanger effect for most of the album
  • The very last note of IM (the final stab) has a subtle explosion sound effect
  • I like Charlotte the Harlot
  • Remember Tomorrow might be the best song
  • The album would still benefit from Sanctuary like on the '98 version
Overall I really enjoyed that. It's been a long time since I properly sat down and actually listened to it.

It also doesn't have a chorus which is maybe unique amongst Maiden songs (The Apparition could possibly qualify)
Overall I really enjoyed that. It's been a long time since I properly sat down and actually listened to it.
What about HBTN or ROTAM? Im sure there are others too.

Longtime lurker and first time poster, big thanks to @Spaldy for starting this fun thread!
  1. Prowler: Riff at the beginning reminds me of the Power Rangers theme; killer drum breakdown that lead's into Dave's solo
  2. Remember Tomorrow: Prototype for Steve's melancholic intros that explode in the classic IM sound
  3. Running Free: Well layered intro; each instrument is highlighted and emphasizes the importance of all band members on this track
  4. POTO: First of many epics; that solo section is pure gold dust :)
  5. Transylvania: Signature gallop; so much urgency felt in this instrumental
  6. Strange World: Time for a change of pace after those 2 heavy hitters; segue into a proggy chilling dreamscape
  7. Charlotte: Super catchy bass line/guitar riff (Dave's first song!)
  8. IM: A live staple...in your face beginning to end
Final Verdict: 8/10

I know IM was yesterday but thought I'd leave my thoughts as I listen today nonetheless. Will follow up with Killers later today, before we all enjoy a brand new track at 18.00 BST!

Prowler: Holds up really well as a track in its own right: ferocious, fast, and frantic; while I can't see it returning to the setlist in the future it is still a track I go back to very often. Much prefer Di'Anno's vocals on this to either live or studio (Prowler '88) with Bruce.
Remember Tomorrow: One of quite a few tracks on this LP which are fairly unique in the Maiden discography. What starts as a slow and surreal soundscape evolves into a furious mid-pace breakdown section which wouldn't be amiss in any of the first few records with Dickinson on vocals. A lovely song and one which I'd like to see return to the setlist (although chance would be a fine thing).
Running Free: Love this one. Features a prototype of the Maiden gallop in its verses and an anthemic chorus that is a treat live. While it's a track I almost completely associate with being played live, the studio version has its own charms too.
Phantom Of The Opera: As others have said this is the prototype for many Harris epics to come, and is the best song on the album. Excellent riffs throughout and love the evolution of the song.
Transylvania: If this song were released now it would have an acoustic intro, be about 3x as long, and have awkward lyrics mapped over the guitar line. Miss the days when strong instrumental sections weren't stretched into unnecessary epics. Great track though.
Strange World: Very underrated song and another which is quite unusual for Maiden. Feels like with some tweaking it might not be out of place on AMOLAD though. Love the guitar tone in the solo here, and the general vibe of the song.
Charlotte The Harlot: Fun song, terrible lyrics. Genuinely baffled that this was the song that spawned 'sequels' by the band, but secretly hoping that the band will release another in her story at some point (they won't).
Iron Maiden: Impossible for me to separate this from the band's live show. Therefore consider it a classic.

My maiden Maiden purchase in November '81. I'd heard Women in Uniform which I hated, but a pal suggested Killers.
So that dark evening cycling home from work with EMC3357 in my sports bag on my back, I flipped arse over tit without any reason, crashing in the road next to Eddie. The curse begins...

I wasn't blown away initially, but now this orbits the number 1 spot with Piece and Power, and listening to it now reinforces that view. Such energy, focused by Birch, lesser songs maybe, but given a brio and delivered with an almost carefree attitude.
Paul, with Maiden at least, was a great singer. It's just unfortunate for him he was followed by a GOAT,
Clive's drums are excellent, being especially tasteful in Prodigal Son.
Purgatory rocks!

I've never been keen on the photos on the back for some reason.
40 years on and I'm still here(cursed?)
Yo, yo, yoyoyo!

Back