Coronavirus

One of the first things I noticed in looking up the worldwide death toll is that China appears nowhere on the list. Forbes reports that they are not publishing their actual cases or deaths and that the real numbers there could be as much as 1.7m which would push the worldwide death toll to nearly 7m total.

Also, wtf America?

Screenshot_20220129-150441_Chrome.jpg

One of the first things I noticed in looking up the worldwide death toll is that China appears nowhere on the list. Forbes reports that they are not publishing their actual cases or deaths and that the real numbers there could be as much as 1.7m which would push the worldwide death toll to nearly 7m total.

Also, wtf America?

View attachment 18928

The Chinese numbers must be taken with a grain truckload shipload of salt.But it's also safe to assume that the numbers for India are in reality much higher, as they were nowhere near the test capacity they needed to keep track during the wave last spring/summer. A colleague of me, from India, went there early in the spring to help out at home when his father suffered a hip injury. He ended up catching covid during his stay and was in hospital for more than two weeks, including a period in intensive care. When he returned, he said he believed the reported numbers maybe only accounted for about 10% of cases. Even if that was wrong and as much as 50% were registered, it would put India at the top of the statistic.

Let's hope the omicron variant is a way out of this.

I certainly don't think China was very honest about all of this (and still isn't), but they also have the most far-reaching/draconian approach to dealing with outbreaks.

Such a shame the WHO investigators won't get back in any time soon, I think they were really onto something with the poorly enforced trade in exotic animals, not to mention the off-the-scale 'flu-like illness' outbreak in under 18s in Wuhan/Hubei in December 2019.

But it's also safe to assume that the numbers for India are in reality much higher, as they were nowhere near the test capacity they needed to keep track during the wave last spring/summer.
It's not just the test capacity - people over here are staying home instead of getting tested, especially if they find out they've been in contact with an infected person. They already know their illness matches the COVID symptoms, so why bother with the test?

Friend who lives in China told me his building went on lockdown and they tested all the residents because one person "might've had" COVID.

Friend who lives in China told me his building went on lockdown and they tested all the residents because one person "might've had" COVID.
Well, as mentioned by someone else, China has some of the more draconic measures in the world.

Of course we don't know what kind of measures they have in North Korea, but as they claim to have zero cases I guess we must assume they are extreme. "There's one reported COVID case in Pyongyang". BANG! "Zero cases in Pyongyang".

Just tested positive. I'm feeling okay except for a cold the past few days that I'd put down as manflu.
Hoping it stays like this for you. That's how my first few days went before it upgraded to a "fairly bad manflu".

Tested positive a few days ago. Got it mild and therefore tried to take a walk by my self (obviously not in contact with anybody as well as in line with government recommendations)... Nope gave up after five minutes. That was over an hour ago and I just started to feel fine again. Took the booster three weeks ago
Same thoughts for you. Get well soon gentlemen.

Spaldy, this article is complete BS. Let me explain you why.

In this country, by April 2020 everything was back to normal. Still you had to wear masks on the metro /malls but you were going to the work without masks, while bars & restaurants etc were, and up to this day are, fully functional.
From April 2020 fwd it was, and still is, kind of a big deal if we have 5 cases in a city of 20 million, or even a suspicion of virus, as NP mentioned above. This leaves a window of only 2 1/2 months (February -March 2020 plus a week in January and a week in April) that those 1.7 million should have died. This would have meant massive corps incinerations. Or secretive burials. Mostly incinerations though.
Guess what. That never happen. Not in a country that a 9 or a 90 year old have smartphones. And a people that is constantly filming -posting everything.
To hide 1.7 million deaths in the heart of this country in 2 months and nobody's talking about it, is not even remotely possible. Whoever thinks it is, he simply never put a foot in this country the last 20 years, so writing such articles is either dangerous by stupidity or by design.

I can assure you that people do talk, do complain and their dissatisfaction is quite visible when there is. They did. But that was for a case here, a misstep there, some super strict measures, or even more bizarrely for the lack of stricter ones, but not 1.7 million people disappeared. This would have been a tsunami of dissatisfaction that never was.
By April 2020, people also began to realise the poor (by their standards) handling of the Virus from the Western leaders and happiness was back to normal.
To conclude, maybe the numbers are higher. Maybe 10 times higher. Maybe. But that’s it. To claim that it is ~400 times higher, this is QAnon level of journalism.

Last edited:
China was the country that officially froze Covid-19 cases at 41 back in January 2020, while independent observers estimated it to be in its thousands already.
1.7 million Covid deaths in two years in a country of over a billion in which official numbers are determined by the government doesn't sound all that unbelievable to me. We simply don't know how bad the pandemic was in China after April 2020. You can choose to believe the official numbers and statements or choose not to. It depends on how much you trust the PRC government, I guess.

Back