Contest: Mom's Maiden Mixtape (nice prize included)

1. Running Free 3:17
2. Remember Tomorrow 5:28
3. Phantom of the Opera 7:21
4. Children of the Damned 4:33
5. Hallowed be thy Name 7:10
6. Revelations 6:49
7. Wasted Years 5:08
8. Stranger in a Strange Land 5:44
9. The Evil That Men Do 4:34
10. From Here To Eternity 3:38
11. The Nomad 9:06
12. Journeyman 7:07
13. The Legacy

Very close to what I would have chosen for any <80' history compilation.. The only compromise is the Eternity instead of Wasting Love due to time limits..

The songs are in chronological order; a linear voyage in Maiden time and I really thing your mother's gonna love it.

1. Final Frontier (without the long intro)
2. Wasted Years
3. Can I Play With Madness
4. Stranger In A Strange Land
5. Sun And Steel
6. Hooks In You
7. Holy Smoke
8. Journeyman
9. Wildest Dreams
10. Flight Of Icarus
11. Revelations
12. From Here To Eternity
13. The Evil That Men Do
14. Run To The Hills
15. Hallowed By Thy Name

Since this is a playlist used while driving, I have focused on catchy songs. There is a little break in the middle of the playlist with the song Journeyman. I also included Hallowed By Thy Name, because that IS Maiden:p

The principles behind this list: Wasted Years is a catchy, "poppy" chorus with which it is easy to sing along. (Though I wouldn't call it "mellow," it is certainly accessible.) It also has a good basic melody. So, with a couple of exceptions, I've stuck to songs I think are more accessible, with easy-to-grasp hooks, that aren't too heavy. Also, I've limited the Blaze and Paul stuff, since it could be confusing with a bunch of different singers throughout the playlist. (Plus, most people don't like Blaze, and presumably your mom would be no exception.) That said, 2 A.M. and Prodigal Son definitely fit the formula and belong on the list.

1. Run To The Hills 3:53 - Hey, it got the world to fall in love with Maiden, why not your mom?
  2. Flight Of Icarus 3:50 - Like RTTH, very "hit single" sounding. Plus, if she is well read, she'll be impressed. (See also #12 below.)
  3. Wasted Years 5:08 - My favorite live "sing-along" song. Plus, required.
  4. The Clairvoyant 4:27 - Another "hit single"-type song. Lots of hooks.
  5. Afraid To Shoot Strangers 6:57 - My wife, who otherwise dislikes Maiden, has the main guitar lick as a ringtone.
  6. Prodigal Son 6:12 - Not my favorite, but perhaps the most accessible, "poppy" song of the early Maiden stuff. Journey could have recorded this song.
  7. The Longest Day 7:48 - Very catchy, cool melodies. Maybe a bit heavier than the others, but the guitar duet at 5:33 is a hook that no one could dislike.
  8. 2 A.M. 5:38 - Cool, mellow and thoughtful song. Plus, Blaze actually sounds good on this. That's saying something.
  9. Coming Home 5:52 - Maiden's best "power ballad."
  10. Children of the Damned 4:35 - One of Maiden's "prettiest" songs. Title might be off-putting -- maybe tell her it's called "Children of the Dad."
  11. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate 8:27 - Maybe not as accessible, but really interesting, never boring. First half is heavier than the second half, which is the better half IMO.
  12. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner 13:41 - Fuck it. No Maiden playlist shouldn't have Rime. Plus, my high-school Humanities teacher, a woman with a Ph.D. in Classics from the University of Chicago (see avatar at left) who had zero interest in rock music let alone metal, was blown away by the fact that a band called Iron Maiden would know and love Coleridge. So maybe your mom will like it for the same reason.
76:28, by my count, and no Hallowed, which I actually don't think is quite as accessible as these (albeit the "signature" Maiden song).

Here's a list from me, which comes to about 78 minutes. I originally tried to get one song from each album, but that worked out too long - mainly because ROTAM was in there.

1. 2 AM
2. Brave New World
3. Coming Home
4. Como Estais Amigos
5. Deja vu
6. Infinite Dreams
7. Innocent Exile
8. Journeyman
9. Out of the Shadows
10. Remember Tomorrow
11. Still Life
12. Strange World
13. Stranger in a Strange Land
14. Wasted Years

:innocent:

If you truly want this experiment to be a genuine "success"...

1. Limit the total running time to 50 minutes.

Assuming that your mother grew up in any decade before the 90s...
she'll most likely burn out on one band after 50 consecutive minutes of
primarily unfamiliar material. (Albums were only 45 minutes back then)

2. More melodic vocal hooks, Less metal instrumental passages.

Assuming that your mother is a female...
she'll be biologically attracted to catchy hummable choruses and colorful lyrics.
Lots of guitar soloing and time signature changes will not impress her.

3. No DiAnno or Blaze vocals.

Simply too risky. Maybe you could work up to that later.

4. Be very wary of ALL post-reunion recordings as well.

Those recordings are heavier and darker sounding than the earlier Bruce stuff.
Unless your mom gives you the impression that she's a "heavier, darker" kind of gal.
(Again, you can work up to this later.)

Bottom Line:
Pick a bunch of 80s-era Bruce songs with catchy vocals, minimal instrumental parts,
and mostly "uplifting" (major chords?) qualities.

I'll surely be accused of generalizing... but... oh well.
I'm just suggesting ideas that will give you the best chance to succeed.

Good Luck!

:cheers:

Perhaps I should have waited with this comment until the game is over but I just can't resist.
3. No DiAnno or Blaze vocals.

Simply too risky. Maybe you could work up to that later.
Not everybody has the same limits in tolerance. Perhaps she'd be surprised or even glad to know more singers are part of Maiden's history. After all, she also said:
"Can you make me a CD with Iron Maiden songs I could listen to when I drive? This way I could get to know your music better".
It sounds like someone who is not afraid to hear different singers. And it's a mutual thing. She's interested in what her son appreciates as well.
2. More melodic vocal hooks, Less metal instrumental passages.

Assuming that your mother is a female...
she'll be biologically attracted to catchy hummable choruses and colorful lyrics.
Lots of guitar soloing and time signature changes will not impress her.
I'd be offended if something like this would be said about my mother. Because she's female?
Biologically attracted? Lots of guitar soloing will not impress her? WTF?
Those recordings are heavier and darker sounding than the earlier Bruce stuff.
Unless your mom gives you the impression that she's a "heavier, darker" kind of gal.
(Again, you can work up to this later.)
You sir, I assume you are a man, don't have very high expectations of women and music.
Bottom Line:
Pick a bunch of 80s-era Bruce songs with catchy vocals, minimal instrumental parts,
and mostly "uplifting" (major chords?) qualities.

I'll surely be accused of generalizing... but... oh well.
I'm just suggesting ideas that will give you the best chance to succeed.

Good Luck!

:cheers:
Ah, so you realized you were crossing a line here. Succeed? In what? Fooling his mother? Offending women? Such a compilation would not give the right impression of the band and worse: it shows very little faith in what an interested mother (and women in general) can stand.

Irrespective of the reasoning behind it, I actually think avery's advice is pretty good.

I also enjoyed the line, "Assuming your mother is a female...." Generalizing indeed!

By the way, all those with male mothers, please identify yourselves for tagging, scientific observation and genetic counseling. Thank you for your cooperation.

Are you're just throwing oil on the fire and playing the devil's advocate. Or are you serious?
Then why irrespective of the reasoning behind it (especially when you agree)?

I'm serious. Not discounting the points you raise, but his "bottom line" is probably the right approach to introducing Maiden to ANYONE, male or female, absent some reason to think they'd like darker, heavier music (which, according to pilau, his mom doesn't). I think the idea of a shorter, LP-length playlist makes sense too.

EDIT: But I'd still put Rime on there, dagnabbit.

It is fair to say that metal bands do tend to attract a more male crowd ... not really sure why, but that seems to be the case based on the gender makeup of most concerts I have gone to. I certainly wish there were more women at the shows, if anything for the scenery :)

I know ladies that like metal but don't go to metal gigs because, at least here in Mexico, always, always there are douchebags that tend to grab women parts when they get the chance, and it's very diminishing for them and makes them feel bad.

There are certainly many more than there were in the 80s/90s for sure, but they still are in the minority (I will note I am basing this on observations from shows I have been to and seeing the crowd shots on the DVDs). I have always been curious why metal in general seems to be more male friendly versus female. I can see Death Metal, but bands like Maiden/Metallica, etc still skew more male than female.

Back