Como Estais Amigos

How good is Como Estais Amigos on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'como Estais Amigos'

[!--quoteo(post=128955:date=Feb 14 2006, 09:25 AM:name=André)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(André @ Feb 14 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]128955[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Like once said Robert McNamara, ex-US Secretary of Defense, "people don't understand war".[/quote]I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic there.
I do understand *why* wars exist, no person with a brain can ignore the reasons - power, money, religion. Yet, is it human nature to kill, or train to kill, one's own kind? THAT I'll never understand :: .

'como Estais Amigos'

If you take a look at this page, you'll understand that Man, as a species, is not a killer by nature and that the act of taking another human's life, regardless of the circumstances, is actually very traumatic for any normal person.

'como Estais Amigos'

I'm familiar with the (very interesting) page.
I wonder if the conditioning to kill others extends to the act of taking one's own life, which is what the Falkland soldiers, and by far not only those, did after having survived the ordeal of the war itself.

'como Estais Amigos'

Suicide basically stems from depression, which in turn can be caused by many things (apparent emptiness of life, loss of a loved one, etc.). In the case of a war veteran (or an over-trained soldier put in war-like situations), it can originate from the feeling of guilt to have killed or to have witnessed such horrible events while being somehow part of it. This depression sets in usually quite gradually, like Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, without the subject being really aware of it until it's too late. Death, may it be in war or accidents, is a very stressful thing to cope with, whether you're responsible or not.

Many people take their own lives without having been conditioned for killing. In the case of the Falklands War, as this is the main topic of the present discussion, the Argentinian soldiers were not trained to kill (they in fact were hardly trained at all!), whereas the British soldiers were. Yet, the rate of post-war suicides was the same in either country.

The feelings of guilt and emptiness are responsible for those suicides, as another Maiden song, namely 'Fortunes Of War', mentions. The recurrent nightmares, leading to deprivation of sleep and a weakening of all body functions, lead to intense depression. Even some basic behaviours, like feeding or sex, are significantly disrupted and the subject cannot find any other way out of this suffering but suicide.

To sum up, the training in killing does not change anything to the depressed person who envisages suicide and everyone confronted to these extreme situations react differently. There are soldiers who have fought in WWI who are still alive nowadays (although I suspect them to be still suffering from their ordeal despite their old age), whereas others kill themselves shortly after returning from the combat zone. In any case, "carrying on and taking the hurt" (hello '2 A.M.') is a question of mental strength and will power...

Re: 'como Estais Amigos'

I love this song. Just so beautiful and emotional. The chorus almost makes me cry. Great guitars and all. At first I thought that The Clansman was the only really good song from Virtual, but now I think that CEA is the best one. 4.5/5

Warning: the below is entirely in caps and really long.  Love, LC.  :wub:

AGREE MAN. FOR THOSE WHO FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THE OVERALL MEANING OF MAIDEN'S WORK, THIS IS A GREAT PIECE OF WORK: GREAT MELODIES ,HEAVY SOUNDING AND LYRICS THAT FOR ME, HAVE AN ENORMOUS FEEL OF SADNESS AND IMPOTENCE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE SO CALLED FALKLANDS WAR. A WELL INSTRUMENTED LIE TOOK FORWARD BY A BRUTAL USA SPONSORED DICTATORSHIP IN MAY COUNTRY, ARGENTINA, WHERE 30.000 PEOPLE STOOD TORTURE AND ELIMINATION ONLY FOR WANTING A SOBEREIGN NATION , NOT ENSLAVED NOR MANIPLATED BY ECONOMIC AND MILITARY FLAG SELLERS THAT PUT THE PEOPLE UNDER THE DOMINION OF BIG CORPORATIONS, DRAGGING THE COUNTRY OF ITS PUBLIC ETERPRISES AND GIVING THE LANDS NATURAL AND HUMAN RESOURCES AS A GIFT , RETURNED BY THE USA (THE GOVERNMENT NOT THE PEOPLE) IN THE FORM OF MILITARY INTELLIGENCE SUPORT TO EIMINATE THE CORAGEOUS SUBVERSIVE RESISTANCE. I'M NOT BEIGN NATIONALIST OR DISRESPECTFUL OF OTHER COUNTRIES BUT I NOW MANY FAMILIES THAT ARE STILL SEARCHING FOR THE REMAINS OF THER LOVED ONES, ARRESTED, TORTURED AND MURDERED ONLY FOR THINKING FREE...YOU KNOW. AND MAIDEN ARE AWARE OF THE SITUATION OF THE LANDS THEY PLAY IN SO ALL MY GREETINGS TO THIS UNIQUE BAND AND TO ALL THE LEGIONS OF BELIEVERS AROUND THE WORLD. FIGHT FOR FREEDOM AND SWEAR THAT OUR BAIRNS WILL BE BORN FREE!

Oh god, I'm putting that in spoilers till it's written without caps.

Yeah, they fatigue the eyes /mind those caps... Nevermind.

I instantly loved Amigos back on 1998. The only VXI song that I loved in its entirety at that time.
Now I love it a bit less, but still appreciate it!

3.5 /5

The chorus is very worthy -I understand why can make one cry -and I quite like the guitar parts.
And as it's the last song of the album, I've seen it like Blaze's farewell since his departure.

man, do you think it's really long? Hope you payed more atention to the meaning than to it's lenght. But it's OK no problem :yey:javascript:void(0);

It was the caps, I guess.

capslock.jpg

It was the caps. I love long posts, but I couldn't read more than one sentence of that one.

Very,very moving and strong song, that I love very much. This is Blaze at his best! Really like the guitar thing at 03:14 also.

Daily Song: Como Estais Amigos

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Como Estais Amigos

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This song goes up and down for me. It's up currently. 9/10.

Re: Daily Song: Como Estais Amigos

Another underrated tune — majestic and dignified in a melancholy way. One of my favourite Blaze performances and a nice album closer. Eight.

A great way to end the Blaze era. The emotion in the singing/lyrics is audible and it's great. 10/10

9. Absolutely wonderful without being naff. Powerful verses and soaring, sad chorus with Blaze's usual emotional delivery in this kind of dark ballads of his time with Maiden. Jan's solo is memorable, with notes picked in thin air and carried by the mood of the song, very inspired by David Gilmour. A great closure to an underrated and unfairly bashed album, which is the first chapter of the forthcoming, yet unknown at the time, reunion album.

Sounds more like a ten to me. Why did you take away a point?

I think maybe something in the production or something about Blaze's voice as a whole keeps it from 10.

Ok. The production on this album never bothered me for some reason but I get what you mean about his voice.

9/10. Great, emotional closer for a very underrated album.

Back