Browsing on the site of Standaard Boekhandel, a Belgian bookshop I found this gem.
Anyone else got it in their collection? Is it worth buying? (It's around 30 €)
Most of the tracks on Lethal Potion are featured on the Sovereign Remedy album.

cb2.jpgELIXIR_2.jpg

Desperado - Ace​

Line up: Clive Burr, Dee Snider of Twisted Sister, guitarist Bernie Torme of Gillan/Ozzy and bass player Marc Russel.
Probably one of the best overlooked albums of all times imho.

Part of an interview with Dee Snider (some info about Desperado and an interesting story about Clive).

W (NM): We just heard the sad news of Clive Burr’s passing. You had a great band with him, called Desperado. What can you tell our listeners about your relationship with Clive and why didn’t this band continue?

DS: Well, Clive Burr and I were in a band called Desperado, and we developed the project for about three years, it was a passion project for all of us. And it was just about to be released in 1989, I guess… No, 1990. And just before the release, the guy who signed us left the company in a bad way. And sort of, as a “fuck you” to him, they shelled every project he was working on. So he left to work in another company, and they were like “Screw you, we’re killing all your projects.” And I’m like “What do you mean, you’re killing all the projects?”, and they shelled, which means just stopped the Desperado project along with a number of others. And it was a terrible, terrible time. I’d put so much… They’d put half a million dollars in the project, I’d put three years of my life, I spent so much of my own money, I was going bankrupt for the first time after that… It just was a major blow to all of us, in a story about downhill spiral for me.

But let’s not talk about that, let’s talk about Clive. Clive Burr was an amazing drummer, and he was a Metal defining… He helped define Metal drums, that guy. And his drumming defined Iron Maiden. Those first three records, I love Nicko, he’s great, but he’s just doing what Clive was doing on those first three records. Clive and Steve, and the guys, they defined the Maiden sound with Clive’s drumming. And Clive’s style is very unique. Clive is the only drummer I’ve ever worked with, the only drummer I’ve ever worked with, who could not finish his drum point, until he knew all the words to all the songs. And as a songwriter, sometimes we’d be working on the studio, and I didn’t have all the work done, because we were just experimenting, and he’d be like “Hey, what are the words to the next song?” and I wasn’t finished, and he’d be like “Dude, I need them!” And I’m like “Why do you need the words?” He said “Because that’s what inspires my drumming.” And he literally… If you watch Clive Burr, he’ll be singing along to every song. And that’s like no other drummer I’ve ever met, ever, worked that way. They work up the bass, they work up the guitar, but Clive worked up the lyrics, which help explain his very unique style of playing. Now, the answer I want to say is Clive was very sick for many years, and I feel blessed that I hadn’t spoken to him in a couple of years, and it was his birthday. And I saw it on my calendar, and I had also discovered some film footage of Deperado, which you can find on YouTube, rehearsing.

We never did any live shows, except for one, but that’s a long story. And I wanted to tell him about it, so I called him up, and he was so… The Multiple Sclerosis had destroyed his motor functions so much that he couldn’t even speak, he was just making noises on the phone, and it was really sad. But when he gave the phone back to his wife, his wife said “I don’t know what you said to him, but he was smiling ear to ear.” And I said “I’ll tell you what I said to him, I said I just read a column from Bruce Dickinson, and it sad the best drummer that Iron Maiden ever had was Clive Burr. And he whishes they gave him time to go through his stuff, so he’d still be with the band.” So, Nicko was the only other drummer, and Nicko’s still there, so that was a powerful statement by Bruce Dickinson, and it made Clive so happy. And then two days later, he died in his sleep. And I’m just so glad that I was able to speak with him, make him smile before he went. It was just so sad.

Back