Forostar, Man's Trap album doesn't feature Clive Burr.

I know it's the translated version of Idéal, but it was actually recorded (not just sung over) after Clive Burr left, with drummer Farid Medjane in late 1983.
Interesting! I thought all the music was the same, and only the voice re-recorded.
Also, add this to the list... Improbable but true, the ALCATRAZZ demos with Clive Burr! Been around for some time, and entirely instrumental. No Graham Bonnet vocals at all.

http://vivalesbootlegs.blogspot.com.br/2010/07/alcatrazz-no-parole-from-alcatrazz.html
Wow! Didn't know he was involved with Alcatraz!

Interview with Clive Burr, from 1982:

https://earofnewt.com/2015/04/25/ir...in-birch-ruddles-and-the-number-of-the-beast/
photo-13.jpg

photo-14.jpg

Great stuff. The debut may sound like crap, but I love the drum sound. I had not realized so far the difference between his drumming during the first and final parts, where he is very busy, and the instrumental part, where he is quite simple. Love it. Could we hear more of this ?

Clive Burr in Samson in 1977:
Uploaded on the PaulSamsonArchive YouTube channel on September 24th, 2017:

Today is 40 years since what has become known as Samson's first show. Although this isn't entirely correct as Paul had several short lived line-ups between 1975 and 1976 that went under the name of Samson, including the time between 1976 and 1977 when he was in McCoy, when they used to go out as both McCoy and Samson so that they could get double the work. After John McCoy disbanded McCoy, Paul got together with Chris Aylmer (Bass) and Clive Burr (Drums) and again went out as Samson. The first show of the new band was on 24th September 1977, opening for The Steve Gibbons Bans at The Leas Cliff Hall, Folkestone and this was the start of a stable line-up that lasted until Clive left at the end of 1978. I found this cassette tape in the archive, there is no date, just "late 77", I believe that it was recorded sometime in October and November, as the band then headed out to Italy for the remainder of the year. This original song stayed in the repertoire through various line-ups, it became "Gravy Train" at the end of the Bruce period with a faster mid section, and then reverted to "I'll Be Round" with Nicky Moore for "Before The Storm" with the "Gravy Train" mid section kept, the original lyrics for the verses and chorus, and Nicky's lyrics for the mid section. There is no likelihood that this will ever get released, I am uploading it as a thank-you to the loyal fans of Paul, Chris and Clive, who sadly are no longer with us, to celebrate their 40th anniversary.

I dunno how awful of a bump this would be, but listening to the RTTH drum master I kept noticing a clicking sound in the background. Pedal squeaking? Metronome? I'll upload it if anyone wants to hear it seeing as I can't find it on YouTube readily.

Clive was an amazing drummer, very powerful hitting.

His drumming on TNOTB album is fantastic and on Beast Over Hammersmith he is a beast - incredible drumming.

Last edited:
I am busy with a nerdy "investigation" on Clive's drumming on the three albums (which is simple and not that important at all).

@SixesAlltheway @Lego (and/or others): Do you think that Clive plays ride cymbal in the intro of Children of the Damned (first 10 to 14 seconds)? Or could that be another kind of cymbal (e.g a crash)? I tend to say ride, but am not 100% sure.
Unfortunately, he did not recreate this on the Hammersmith version (and other live performances?), so we cannot compare (and see).

I am busy with a nerdy "investigation" on Clive's drumming on the three albums (which is simple and not that important at all).

@SixesAlltheway @Lego (and/or others): Do you think that Clive plays ride cymbal in the intro of Children of the Damned (first 10 to 14 seconds)? Or could that be another kind of cymbal (e.g a crash)? I tend to say ride, but am not 100% sure.
Unfortunately, he did not recreate this on the Hammersmith version (and other live performances?), so we cannot compare (and see).
Hard to say, given that Clive played a lot of very large crash cymbals, and the cymbal is fairly low in the mix. But if I had to guess, based on the tone I'd say he was playing his 20" Sound Creation Dark Ride during the intro.

There might be some discrepancies between these two recordings but perhaps mostly in how it sounds? But anyways.. if you listen to this recording from Reading 1982, it sounds like he is doing most of it with two hands on the ride cymbal, with *perhaps* some footwork on the hi-hat to keep the beat?

I think he would have done sort of the same thing on the album, but his ride is not as clear on the album as it is on the reading live recording.

Perhaps his lifestyle was already starting to catch up with him. :D

Joking aside, great drummer. Shame his career following being sacked from Maiden was hit and (mostly) miss and, more importantly, his life was cut short by a terrible disease.

Clive Burr: hi-hat and ride cymbal distribution (playing with hands only)

Iron Maiden (1980)
Prowler: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal no
Sanctuary: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal no
Remember Tomorrow: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
Running Free: hi-hat no, ride cymbal no
Transylvania: hi-hat no, ride cymbal yes
Phantom of the Opera: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
Strange World: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
Charlotte the Harlot: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
Iron Maiden: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal no

Killers (1981)
The Ides of March: hi-hat no, ride cymbal no
Wrathchild: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal no
Murders in the Rue Morgue: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
Another Life: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
Genghis Khan: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
Innocent Exile: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes

Killers: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal no
Prodigal Son: hi-hat no, ride cymbal yes
Purgatory: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
Twilight Zone: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal no

Drifter: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes

The Number of the Beast (1982)

Invaders: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
Children of the Damned: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
The Prisoner: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
22 Acacia Avenue: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
The Number of the Beast: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal no

Run to the Hills: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal no
Gangland: hi-hat no, ride cymbal yes
Total Eclipse: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal yes
Hallowed Be Thy Name: hi-hat yes, ride cymbal no

Each Clive Burr album features one "ride cymbal only"-song.

The first two albums feature one "without hi-hat and without ride cymbal"-song each.
Most dominant on all three albums are the songs with both hi-hat and ride cymbal playing on it, but every album also has three* "hi-hat only" songs on it, when we include the extra tracks. When we leave out the extra tracks, NOTB has the most "hi-hat only"-songs.
Side B of NOTB features only one song with ride cymbal! (excluding extra tracks)
Side B of Iron Maiden features only one song without ride cymbal!

*I can't imagine Nicko has so many songs with hi-hat only. (Can't even think of one at the moment. We'll see about that later on!)

(@Lego @SixesAlltheway )

Last edited:
Back