• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We finally see one of the rare Doobie Bros songs I like, and they still can't get my vote, because the U2 song (esp live) is a jawdropper. Bad

This is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw this matchup.

My other votes go to Lenny, Tom and The Ramones.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are not getting enough respect in this entire game. In my humble opinion. I'll take them over Springsteen and E St. any day and twice on Sundays.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are not getting enough respect in this entire game. In my humble opinion. I'll take them over Springsteen and E St. any day and twice on Sundays.
They're getting too much respect if you ask me. :D

- I love Van Morrison, but I could never hear Brown-Eyed Girl again and be happy. Gotta go with Lenny.
- Romantics
- Ramones
- Doobies

"Brown Eyed Girl" isn't a particular favourite of mine, but it's good.
Uh. The Romantics, I guess.
Traffic influenced many great bands, but they weren't great themselves. "I Wanna Be Sedated".
U2, though I have no idea why that song must be eight minutes long.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout, 512 to 256, Round 27 of 64

This round introduces the #38 seed and its challengers...

A38.png

"We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions" (Queen) [38] vs. "Working For The Weekend" (Loverboy) [475]
"We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions" (Queen) - 1977 - #2 UK, #4 US
Ranked by 9 of 13 radio stations, highest in Tampa: #9

"Working For The Weekend" (Loverboy) - 1981 - #29 US
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #175

"American Woman" (The Guess Who) [219] vs. "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" (Creedence Clearwater Revival) [294]
"American Woman" (The Guess Who) - 1970 - #1 US, #18 UK
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Ontario: #50

"Have You Ever Seen The Rain" (Creedence Clearwater Revival) - 1970 - #8 US, #36 UK
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #51

"Like A Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan) [91] vs. "Don't Stop" (Fleetwood Mac) [422]
"Like A Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan) - 1965 - #2 US, #4 UK
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #2

"Don't Stop" (Fleetwood Mac) - 1977 - #3 US, #32 UK
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #92

"Don't Fear The Reaper" (Blue Oyster Cult) [166] vs. "When Doves Cry" (Prince) [347]
"Don't Fear The Reaper" (Blue Oyster Cult) - 1976 - #12 US, #16 UK
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Boston: #71

"When Doves Cry" (Prince) - 1984 - #1 US, #4 UK
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #26

Prince doesn't like people posting his music. I can't find the actual video of this song on Youtube - not even on Prince's own channel, which only contains his most recent albums. I had to pull this from another site, sorry it's not embedded
http://video.naij.com/view=6qgucczw&ref=search_redirect&autoplay=1

One day left for Round 24
Also open: Round 25 , Round 26

Last edited:
My votes:

As the top seeds get higher, their opponents become cannon fodder. Sorry Loverboy. We Will Rock You

The Guess Who song was actually a political allegory. It's not about women; it's about "USA keeps your hands out of Canada". Sadly, few seem to get this, so you get fools like Lenny Kravitz singing this song like it's about boobs. I'm voting CCR, that's (somehow) a less confusing song. Have You Ever Seen The Rain

There's more quality rock in the opening snare hit of the Dylan song than you'll find in the entirety of Don't Stop. Which is more about how awesome this song is than a statement about Dylan in general or about Mac. Like A Rolling Stone

I love BOC but hate this overplayed, overrated piece of junk. Further, Purple Rain is one of my favorite albums. When Doves Cry

American Woman is one of my least favorite classic rock staples. Not sure why, maybe it's the annoying keyboard line.

Some of my least favourite Queen hits. Never heard of Loverboy, but I like the catchiness. I am giving this Prince song the nostalgia vote. But I am perfectly happy with the Cult winning this.

Just like Queen: also one of my least favourite hits by Fleetwood Mac. But it gets my vote because Dylan.
smiley5062.gif

Easiest battle: Creedance

Last edited:
Last Sunday I was finding all the videos for this week, and - as mentioned in the spoiler above - I discovered there's almost no videos of When Doves Cry on Youtube. Seems Prince and his lawyers go after stuff aggressively...

I did find one video. It was posted on Feb 25, still active on Sunday, but it's gone now. It was basement rehearsal footage, from the 1984 rehearsals for the Purple Rain tour. It was really amazing. I'm sorry it didn't last.

Want to know how a guy like Prince rehearses his band for a major tour? It was clearly a basement, no one on camera but the band - not even a mixer in the house, as Prince would occasionally run off camera and the sound would change. Nonetheless, they played like they were in front of ten thousand. They had all the stage moves, Prince was doing his James Brown thing and all - but in normal jeans and t-shirts, not the usual big purple coat and such.

Prince, when not singing and dancing, would stalk around the band and stare everyone in the face for like a minute solid. I'm not sure what that was all about. Maybe he just wants to make sure they have their parts down, maybe it was part of how he maintained leadership in that band. Remember, if the movie was at all true to life, it was a contentious band - and it was notably Lisa (the keyboardist who stands up to Prince in the film) that he gave the longest and hardest stares to.

Most interesting, it had bass. The bassline was dropped from the studio track - the rare #1 hit with no bass, may they be damned. :bigsmile: Sadly the bass was buried in the mix and the result didn't sound much different.

I don't like "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" very much, but Loverboy is blah.
CCR, obviously.
"Like a Rolling Stone", obviously.
I also dislike "Reaper", and while I have no particular feelings for Purple Rain, "When Doves Cry" is better.

Queen is awesome Loverboy sucks
I like the Guess Who, but this is not among their best tracks (singer Burton Cummings just played solo here Monday), Creedence just knew who to write good songs and this is one of their best.
Great Fleetwood song
Reaper is overplayed but hardly overrated and it slays Prince's best.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout, 512 to 256, Round 31 of 64

This round introduces the #34 seed and its challengers...

A34.png

"Revolution" (The Beatles) [34] vs. "Hair Of The Dog" (Nazareth) [479]
"Revolution" (The Beatles) - 1968 - #12 US
Ranked by 10 of 13 radio stations, highest in Boston: #35

"Hair Of The Dog" (Nazareth) - 1975
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Tampa: #216

"Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" (Bruce Springsteen) [223] vs. "Gold Dust Woman" (Fleetwood Mac) [290]
"Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" (Bruce Springsteen) - 1973
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #22

"Gold Dust Woman" (Fleetwood Mac) - 1977
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #137

"Creep" (Radiohead) [95] vs. "A Horse With No Name" (America) [418]
"Creep" (Radiohead) - 1992 - #7 UK, #34 US
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Los Angeles: #6

"A Horse With No Name" (America) - 1971 - #1 US, #3 UK
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #220

"Cocaine" (Eric Clapton) [162] vs. "Slow Ride" (Foghat) [351]
"Cocaine" (Eric Clapton) - 1977 (studio) - #30 US (1980 live version)
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #90

"Slow Ride" (Foghat) - 1975 - #20 US
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #43

One day left for Round 28
Also open: Round 29 , Round 30

My votes:

Tough choice on the first, I really like the Nazareth song, but the Beatles song is slightly better. Revolution
My favorite Springsteen song, a genuine epic, have to vote for Rosalita.
I don't like either song in the third pair, but America is far worse. Creep
Love this Foghat song, always fun to jam with a band. Slow Ride

Beatles
Don't really care for either, but I guess Springsteen.
Honestly, I'm just voting for America because I am so damn sick of hearing weirdos sing "Creep" at karaoke and totally ruining the vibe for the rest of the night.
CO-KAI-EEN-AH!

Back