Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 64 to 32, Round 6 of 8

Songs in gold have survived beyond their seeding:
D03.png

"Hotel California" (The Eagles) [3] vs. "Burnin' For You" (Blue Oyster Cult) [190]

"Smoke On The Water" (Deep Purple) [99] vs. "In The Air Tonight" (Phil Collins) [35]

"Baba O'Riley" (The Who) [14] vs. "Crazy Train" (Ozzy Osbourne) [78]

"Losing My Religion" (R.E.M.) [110] vs. "Won't Get Fooled Again" (The Who) [46]

Top song in each pair wins a tie.

One day left for Round 3
Also open: Round 4 , Round 5

Hotel California is probably one of the most overrated songs ever. Not that it's a bad song, it's just...alright. Burnin' For You is fantastic.
Purple, Ozzy and R.E.M are my other choices.

My votes:

I checked in and never left. Hotel California
Gotta stay true to Genesis. In The Air Tonight
Love the Randy solo but gotta stick with the Who. Baba O'Riley
Yeah. Won't Get Fooled Again

Don't really care for either, but "Hotel California" is more memorable.
"Smoke on the water, in the air tonight" goes pretty well with the melody. I'll go for the smoke.
And for a Who showdown.

Goodbye Smoke On The Water...it was a really, really, really close match between you and In The Air Tonight. But In The Air Tonight's emotional intensity won in the end.

Actually I'm surprised Phil Collins as a solo artist is even in this survivor...Because if "In The Air Tonight" is here...why not "Nothing Compares To You" By Sinead O' Connor or..."Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman or one of the other hundreds of emotional synth songs in the 80s that sounds like the Collins tune ... :D

The Collins tune is cool, but for the sake of the whole tournament the Purple tune ought to move on!

These songs do not sound like this Collins tune with its anthemic heavy rock/(even metal!) drum. They miss the heaviness and intensity. And suspense! Fast car is beautiful but not exciting (imo). And it has hardly any synth (if it has any). Nothing Compares to You isn't much rocking either.

Smoke on the Water might be a classic but In the Air Tonight is brilliant. One of my favorite songs in the game.

I don't see anything "heavy" or "rocking" about the absolutely basic synth drums on "In the air Tonight." I mean, they're way off in the background and not that important for the track....The hook is the vocal melody and Collins voice and phrasing.To me "Nothing Compares" and "In The Air Tonight" are two, very similar tracks. If anything, the drum beat on "Nothing.." is way more raw....

Yes, well it is a brilliant song..but so many other 80s pop songs share its qualities...

Last edited:
As with a lot of questions about songs in this game.....SMX used a particular source to define what is classed as classic rock - based on radio airplay by self-declared classic rock stations, I believe. At a guess, Fast Car and Nothing Compares.... weren't on that list or lists, and as a result aren't in the game. As much as I like Smoke On the Water, I'm not going to vote for it purely because it's 'more rock' than Something In The Air.

I know how SMX compiled this survivor...but consider this a more personal overall criticism on labeling "In The Air Tonight" a classic rock track. It's 80s pop IMO :D

Who to choose....

Eagles...
Blue Oyster Cult...
Deep Purple...
The Who...
Ozzy....
Phil Collins!?!?!? :D

Last edited:
Back