• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love Strawberry Fields, but it's against one of my favourite songs of all-time. The 10 minute version is nothing short of excellence. I'm assuming we're judging the shorter, radio edited version, in which case Free Bird still gets my vote.

I'm assuming we're judging the shorter, radio edited version

Not at all. The video I posted in the first round was the studio track from the debut. The video I posted this round is the live version from Free Bird: The Movie. Both full-length.

BTW, all rock fans should see that Skynyrd concert movie. The band were on fire, tight as hell, right at their prime before the end.

They're a big rock band with lots of fans. :eek:

There were 11 U2 songs in the initial 512. Only two of those lost in Phase One. U2 has quite a few fans on this forum (so far), but it remains to be seen how far the remaining nine advance.

There were 11 U2 songs in the initial 512. Only two of those lost in Phase One. U2 has quite a few fans on this forum (so far), but it remains to be seen how far the remaining nine advance.

Honestly surprising. I mean out of all the rock bands in this survivor they are easily one of the "poppiest"...

U2 have made some very solid songs which are very well known and widely liked, even if they're not the most exciting band around. Personally I prefer the more obscure ones and the Achtung Baby era, but some of the ones on this survivor do deserve a place in the hall of fame.

It takes a good song to beat Sunday, Bloody Sunday or Pride (did we have that one yet)?

Phase One:
"Sunday Bloody Sunday" defeated Bryan Adams "Run To You", 12-2.
"Pride (In The Name Of Love)" defeated Aerosmith "What It Takes", 11-2.

Both of these U2 songs get their second round on the same day, ten days from now. And if they keep winning, they're on a collision course with each other in Phase Four. Only one of them (at most) makes the top 32.

Poor Kent.
Don't pity Kent. He was a stud water polo player who had girls falling all over him, and now runs a successful software company in the Bay Area. But he still has no rhythm.

I quite like early U2. War is a fantastic rock album -- raw, high-energy, with a potent mix of anger and exuberance. Unforgettable Fire is just OK as a whole, and they became more of a pop band and less of a punk/rock band with that album, but "Pride" is excellent and the live performance of "Bad" -- which I think is also still in this game -- is the best piece of music U2 ever recorded. Joshua Tree, while still good, is a pure pop album and a far cry from War, other than perhaps "Bullet the Blue Sky." I can see why it wouldn't appeal much to the folks on this forum. But, again, War is great.

Last edited:
I seem to recall they kept getting decently easy matchups.

I seem to recall they kept getting decently easy matchups.

Both the amount of U2 and how high they were seeded are a consequence of the LA station (the alternative station). U2 was the only band where they listed a lot of songs from one classic group. Most of their other songs were 90s. Because the number of stations listing a song was a major factor, U2 having this one extra station in their corner boosted them considerably.

Hmm...
I was never good at labels, but I wouldn't call Joshua Tree a pop album.

Back