Classic Rock Clue Game II

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
I have gone back to my sources and recalculated the list. Not just 100 deep; I've got a full 500 songs this time.

It should be noted that upon deeper inspection, four of the top 500 lists I used last time were evidently prepared by the same PR firm. Their lower reaches had some consistently questionable choices. All the lists were from Canada, with many selections by Canadian bands. Like a dozen songs by the Tragically Hip. Does anyone really think they deserve 12 spots in the top 500? The real problem was that it was the same dozen songs on all 4 lists, and the same mostly-obscure Canadian songs elsewhere on the lists. Obviously from a single source and with a screwy song selection, so I tossed them all out.

This left the following lists as sources:
Manchester, UK 106.1 Rock Radio - 2010 - the list with the most metal
Arrow Classic Rock, Netherlands - 2007 - the most prog rock, and the only list to name more than two Golden Earring songs
102.9 Classic Rock MGK, Philadelphia - 2008
Q104.3, New York City - 2004
KZOK 102.5, Seattle - 2004
93.7 KKRW, Houston - 2010

The US stations had about 350 songs on all four lists, but each station's other 150 provided some interesting input.

To add some more variety of the typical critical acclaim type, I also added Rolling Stone's top 500 list and Digital Dream Door's top 300 list.

The game: I'm rating the difficulty of clues from 1 to 5 - and it's also how many points you get for a correct guess. Post as many guesses as you like. The first person to get a clue right gets a bonus point. Anyone who then posts the same right answer gets the normal points for it. I'll keep a running total of the points, of course.

The twist: if you win a round, you don't get to play next round. You can post, but you won't get points. This way, no one should be able to run away with the win.

The clues!

Remember we're starting from #500 - these songs will be well known, but there's no "Bohemian Rhapsody" down here.

#500. Whatever, nevermind. (1)
#499. Google "motto". (1)
#498. Not something you'd expect to hear said quietly. (3)
#497. Courtesy cubed. (2)
#496. The other hit by a one-hit wonder. (4)
#495. Formal warfare. (1)
#494. It gives a sense of the difference. (5)
#493. Posthumously released. (4)
#492. 1988 movie. (1)
#491. The subject of this song saw it performed at Woodstock. (4)

SinisterMinisterX said:
Obviously from a single source and with a screwy song selection, so I tossed them all out.

Why didn't you keep one of them?

They were really out of line with all the other sources. Virtual piles of outliers.

I kept three of them initially (with their results averaged down to one list), but it was still producing some bizarre results. For instance, they all listed Bohemian Rhapsody and Won't Get Fooled Again very low, when every other source has them very high, and those songs (plus others) were getting dragged down considerably.

Can you pop me a link? I'm interested to see if it is in line with some of the stuff I've heard on the radio here for top 500 lists.

That's an interesting list. Heavy on alternative and metal, even some pop.

But it's also very different from the other lists. So it doesn't really work with the other sources. However, I have been considering what I might do to the list next, and I could use this list later. There are a few alt-rock stations with top 500 lists, and I might add this one to that bunch on the next version.

My only cause for hesitaton is the two Nickelback songs in the top 100. Really? ಠ_ಠ

It's user voted, so I imagine that there are some idiots out there. Nova Scotia's a pretty good place for rock and metal.

#499. Google "motto". (1) - "Don't Be Evil" by The Manic Street Preachers.
#496. The other hit by a one-hit wonder. (4) - "Forever Young" by Alphaville.
#494. It gives a sense of the difference. (5) - "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner.
#493. Posthumously released. (4) "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" by Otis Redding.

Whatever, nevermind. (1)
You were on track with Nirvana. You just needed the beginning of that lyric...
#500. Fleetwood Mac, "Oh Well"

Google "motto". (1)
Black Thunder was almost there - he knew Google's corporate motto is "Don't be evil." He just needed a more famous song...
#499. Elvis Presley, "Don't Be Cruel"

Not something you'd expect to hear said quietly. (3)
#498. Bruce Springsteen, "I'm On Fire"

Courtesy cubed. (2)
#497. James Brown, "Please, Please, Please"

The other hit by a one-hit wonder. (4)
So many to choose from ... that's why it's worth 4 points.
#496. Free, "Wishing Well"

Formal warfare. (1)
#495. Sweet, "Ballroom Blitz"

It gives a sense of the difference. (5)
Maybe I should have warned you, 5-pointers are absolutely impossible. It's a shot in the dark. Maybe if you just guess your favorite song, you never know...
#494. Iron Maiden, "Hallowed Be Thy Name"
The clue refers to how much this list differs from the typical songs we like and discuss on this forum. When a masterpiece like Hallowed barely makes the list, you know we ain't in Kansas anymore. :D

Posthumously released. (4)
#493. Stevie Ray Vaughan, "The Sky Is Crying"

1988 movie. (1)
#492. The Eagles, "Tequila Sunrise"
It had Michelle Pfeiffer. That's all I remember.

The subject of this song saw it performed at Woodstock. (4)
#491. Sly & The Family Stone, "Everyday People"

None correct, but some nice tries in there. In a couple of cases, you got the reference and just needed to go one step further.

I'll even make the clues a bit easier ... if you can't get #483, you ought to be ashamed. :innocent:

Next group:
#490. Standard-bearer for the punk revolution. (1)
#489. Where a pastry chef lives. (3)
#488. An opthamologist might hear this. (1)
#487. Verb a state. (1)
#486. First of a trilogy. (1)
#485. The #486 artist covered this song. (2)
#484. South Dakota. (1)
#483. Cerulean footwear. (1)
#482. Paintings and lunatics. (2)
#481. The Orient Express was one. (4)

#483: "Blue Suede Shoes", Carl Perkins. Or maybe Elvis?
#481: "Crazy Train", Ozzy Osbourne.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Courtesy cubed. (2)
I origninally thought it'd be a word repeated three times, but could only come up with "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the Byrds, but of course no courtesy.

SinisterMinisterX said:
The other hit by a one-hit wonder. (4)
So many to choose from ... that's why it's worth 4 points.
#496. Free, "Wishing Well"
Free a one-hit wonder?  :blink:

SinisterMinisterX said:
#483. Cerulean footwear. (1)
Blue Suede Shoes, by ... I'll try Carl Perkins

Edit: Shadow just beat me to the easiest one. ;) So I'll try another.

SinisterMinisterX said:
#487. Verb a state. (1)
Led Zeppelin - Going to California

national acrobat said:
Free a one-hit wonder?  :blink:

Edit: Shadow just beat me to the easiest one. ;) So I'll try another.

In the US, Free only had one hit that I've ever heard on decades of radio.

If Shade is right, he only beat you to the bonus point. If you think he's right, you should repeat his guess. You still get a point for that.

OK I put way to much thought into this, but here we go...

490: God Save The Queen — Sex Pistols or something by Black Flag
489: Heartbreak Hotel — Elvis (think about it, it works)
488: Doctor My Eyes — Jackson Brown
487: California Dreaming — Mamas and Papas
486: Another Brick In The Wall Part 1 — Pink Floyd
485: uhh... (guess I got the previous one wrong)
484: Badlands — Bruce Springsteen
483: Blue Suede Shoes — I'll go Elvis
482: I got nothing...
481: Midnight Train To Georgia — Gladys Knight at the Pips

SinisterMinisterX said:
Courtesy cubed. (2)
Funnily enough, I did google "please please please" on the off-chance and found that track at the top of the pile.

#490. Standard-bearer for the punk revolution. "Anarchy in the UK" - Sex Pistols (I'm guessing the revolution is the anarchy part)
#489. Where a pastry chef lives. A bit of an odd guess, but "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals (Sun in rhyming slang is currant bun - House of the rising currant bun that's cooking in the oven, perhaps).

SinisterMinisterX said:
In the US, Free only had one hit that I've ever heard on decades of radio.
OK, they get played a lot more over here.

SinisterMinisterX said:
#481. The Orient Express was one. (4)
Guns n' Roses - Nightrain
A full list of guesses from me:

#490: Anarchy in the UK - The Sex Pistols
#489: Burning Down The House - Talking Heads (inspired by Albie's brilliant logic)
#488: Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Brown
#487: Going to California - Led Zeppelin
#486: The Unforgiven - Metallica
#485: Whiskey in the Jar - Thin Lizzy
#484: Badlands - Bruce Springsteen
#483: Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins
#482: Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters - Elton John
#481: Nightrain - Guns 'n' Roses

Back