Childhood's End

How good is Childhood's End on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Childhood's End' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'childhood's End'

This song is a distinctive classic from fear of the dark, excellent song. 4/5

'childhood's End'

Agreed, a very good song and among the best of the album. The intro bit is really cool, and I really like the drums.

'childhood's End'

I don't understand this song ! [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
1,5/5.

'childhood's End'

[!--QuoteBegin-Lib+Sep 7 2004, 11:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lib @ Sep 7 2004, 11:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't understand this song !  [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
1,5/5.
[snapback]85906[/snapback]​
[/quote]
You will... as soon as I update the commentary! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'childhood's End'

As Mav says in the commentary, there's no relation to the Clarke book.

Let's say that if 'Age of Innocence' is for conservatives, then 'Childhood's End' is for liberals [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Cheers

'childhood's End'

Totally underrated song from FotD. I love it. Lyrics are thoughtful and very relevant. That guitar intro is great, as is the main riff. I quite like the drums too, although a little more variation from Nicko wouldn't have gone astray. Solo is amazing too.
Final rating: 4

'childhood's End'

I don't like the chorus, but the rest of it is amazing.

Daily Song: Childhood's End

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Childhood's End

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Hey, this song's pretty good! Bruce is good on it, and I like the riff work. It's fast and decent. It's not great, and it's low on the decent end, but I still enjoy it and bob my head when it comes along. I waver between a 6 and a 7. 7.

Re: Daily Song: Childhood's End

I like this song! Nice guitar and I like both the chorus and the verses. 7 for me.

When I bought Fear of the Dark, this was one song that I was quite surprised by: I had somehow managed to miss it completely when I had the album in MP3.  I really like what the guitar and drums are doing together in the beginning and the general vibe of the song.  Bruce's singing is again not that good, but I'm already tired of saying that again and again.  I'd say a solid 7.

Fantastic guitar work - quite uplifting, hopeful sounds emanate from both fenders which is a complete contrast to the doomy gloomy lyrics, but the song works...I particularly love the harmonies during the breakdown.
Nico's drumming during the choruses is a true highlight.

Among the better songs on the album, this. Creative drum work, some very nice guitar lines and a good groove that goes along in the verses. I'll give an 8, continuing the trend of ups and downs on this very mixed album.

The is the one but best track of side A. There's indeed really beautiful guitar work on it. Not only lead, I also dig the playing and sound of the rhythm guitars in the couplets. The atmosphere is enriched with the perfectly fitting keyboards. The chorus is a bit of an experiment with that fast bass riff and drum accompaniment, but it works fine.

The solo is a very special one in the catalogue: Dave and Janick tried to fool the listener.
At first, it sounds like one solo by one person, but in fact Janick starts and Dave takes over fluently (and not at a typical moment) and ends it.

This puzzled me for years but after reading an interview about this with Bruce I finally could analyze it well.

The "switch" takes place at around 3:04/3:05 in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8-eeQBiRac

A fat 8,5 -> 9

I always like this song, it may be the fourth best on the album.
It pretty good. Very dramatic, very enchanting, but not good enough to stand above the crowd.
I give it a 7.

@Foro: I did not know that. Do you have that interview by any chance?

4th best song on the album. This track has some great melodies and the lyrics aint bad either. The solo with the switch is very cool as well.

8/10

This song comes under the category of "not bad". It is the best of the below par bunch of tracks that, for me, litter the album. 5/10.

A tasteful vintage Maiden intro followed by those unexpected and delicious rolling drums sets the stage for what I’ve always considered a rather elegant song, despite the fact it is correctly classified as a rocker. The lyrics are in line with the bittersweet music, but too superficial to match the pathos. High on style, a little lacking in substance — a solid seven.

I'm with Albie in my assessment of this track. Apart from two stand-out songs on the album, the rest are sub-par and this is near enough the best-of-the-rest. It was also one of the first songs on the album which clicked with me, and I still get my kicks playing it, so a high 5/10.

@Forostar: very interesting about the solo, it's a seamless segue.

Back